U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2017, 03:18 PM

4,322 posts, read 2,258,281 times

Advertisements

Well I found out that, while the Nationals beat Atlanta 3-1, but they had a lot of problems with CB Bucknor on April 18. He called a foul tip on Chase d'Arnaud which replay shows that he didn't even come close to fouling the pitch off. IMO Bucknor is one of the worst umpires in the league.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 10:51 PM

6,536 posts, read 4,489,472 times
Default 10-5

Tuesday: Nats 3 @ Braves 1. Shawn Kelley, taking over from an ineffective Blake Treinen left the bases loaded in the 9th inning to preserve the win. Also, there were 2 endings to this game as well. Chase d'Arnaud had struck out, but blind as a bat home plate ump C.B. Bucknor ruled it a foul tip even though d'Arnaud missed it by a foot, so after a commercial break d'Arnaud struck out again for the 2nd ending.
Wednesday: Nats 14 @ Braves 4. Bryce Harper & Ryan Zimmerman each had grand slams, the first time since 2009 the Nats had 2 Grand slam's in the same game. Harper reached base in all 5 of his plate appearances: 4 hits including a solo home run in the 1st and a walk.
Thursday: Nats 3 @ Braves 2. Nats down 2-1 in the 6th where Zimmerman turned the game around with a 2 run homer which ended up being the final run that scored in the game.

Braves head to Philly to face the Phillies for 3 games while the Nats head to Queens for the first series against the Mets. Tanner Roark (2-0, 3.50) starts for the Nats against Jacob deGrom (0-0, 1.89), Gio Gonzalez (1-0, 1.33) starts on Saturday against Matt Harvey (2-0, 2.45), while Zach Wheeler (1-1, 5.52) starts for the Mets Sunday against Max Scherzer (2-1, 1.37). Friday's game starts at 7:10, Saturday starts at 4:05, and Sunday is at 8:08.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:19 PM

If our 4th starter, Gio Gonzalez can pitch to a sub 4 ERA this year, this can be a very dangerous team.

Harper so far looks a lot more like the 2015 MVP version than the 2016 version, of course he had a great April last year too, Eaton has been amazing in the leadoff spot. Turner just got activated off the DL tonight, had the game-winning RBI Friday on a bases loaded walk, and had an RBI & run scored today. Murphy is still raking, Zimmerman & Werth have been fairly productive. And the surprising thing is, the last couple years this has been more of a pitching team than an offensive team. The roster was still structured that way, but currently (on April 22) they are middle of the pack in major pitching categories (18th in ERA, tied for 14th in batting average against, 7th in WHIP, and 3rd in quality starts). Granted, the ERA, BAA & WHIP also includes the crappy bullpen, and if we weren't including them they might be slightly better numbers, but the real surprise is on the offensive end where they are top 10 in most major categories (3rd in runs scored, 5th in hits, 1st in doubles, 7th in homers, 2nd in extra-base hits, 3rd in RBI's, 2nd in batting average, 1st in OBP, 2nd in slugging, 1st in OPS, 9th in walks, and 28th in strike outs [where being lower is better, LOL]). I doubt these offensive numbers stay where they are especially with major offensive teams like Boston, Toronto, St. Louis, Chicago Cubs struggling early, but I'm pretty sure they can finish middle of the pack in most of those categories. If they can do that, and get the pitching down to their mean where it should be (most pitching stats in the top 10), and trade for a closer (Herrerra from KC would be perfect) in July it could be a very good year in the Nations Capital. Yes, its early, but so far the early returns are a perfect score! Through 15 games, I'm liking this years squad much more than I've liked the last couple of teams through 15 games. Hopefully, it keeps up.

Old 04-23-2017, 06:54 AM

4,229 posts, read 2,129,178 times
The Nats are indeed a formidable force with Gio and Zimmie performing as they have been so far. It's been both refreshing and impressive. But the biggest difference may be having Adam Eaton in the lineup every day instead of Danny Espinosa. The infield defense takes a bit of a hit there, but oh, those 174 K's were just a killer!

At closer, Kelvin Herrera would indeed be a good fit at the right price, and so would Alex Colome. The former has one more year of team control, while the latter has two. They may each be available at some point this year. The Nats should keep an eye on Trevor Rosenthal and Cam Bedrosian as well. But the situation is not as dire here as pop-thinking and some in the media might suggest. There are big and talented arms in the pen we already have and simply juggling them around to find the right fit may be all that's necessary. It's a weird job. Many an anointed "closer-in-waiting" has failed and many an unheralded minimum wage guy has emerged to run away with the job. Patience is likely called for as long as the club is 12-5 or whatever.

Old 04-24-2017, 04:25 PM

Default 13-5

Friday: Nats 4 @ Mets 3 (11 innings). Harper & Lobaton homered for 3 Nats runs, while Curtis Granderson had 2 RBI's and Michael Conforto homered for the Mets RBI's. Nats got the win when Trea Turner, fresh off a DL activation, walked with the bases loaded in the 11th
Saturday: Nats 3 @ Mets 1. Turner had an RBI and run scored in his first start off the DL. Gio was excellent once again, 1 run on 2 hits in 6 1/3 while Mets starter Jacob deGrom had a weird stat line: 10 strikeouts but also walked 6 batters. Koda Glover recorded his first career save getting the final out of the 9th.
Sunday: Nats 6 @ Mets 3. All 9 runs scored on the long ball: Murphy Grand slam in the first after the first 3 batters of the game reached: Eaton on a HBP, Turner infield single, and Harper single to left, Conforto hit the first pitch Max Scherzer threw that just cleared the wall in LF clipping the foul ball, Neil Walker got 2 back in the 3rd with a homer to right, and Zimmerman added the final 3 runs as he smoked a ball from Josh Smoker that I think went into the 2nd deck in LF in the 8th. Glover recorded his second career save recording the final 3 outs after Ollie Perez allowed a leadoff single to begin the 9th.

4 game series in Denver against the 2nd best in the NL (after the Nats) and tied for 3rd best in the league (with the Astros after the Nats & Orioles) Rockies, and they'll play the Mets again in DC on Friday-Sunday.
Monday's pitching matchup is Jacob Turner (season debut 1-2, 6.57 last year for the White Sox) for the Nats against Tyler Anderson (1-3, 7.32) for the Rockies. Turner is starting because Strasburg has been placed on the paternity list as he awaits the birth of his first child, and Baker is likely going with Turner over Ross (who would be on regular rest) because he is likely "punting" the game. After playing the Sunday night game in Queens, and playing all of the regulars that game (save for Werth the last 2 innings), landing at Denver at 3:02 AM local time (probably not getting to the hotel until about 4:15) we will likely see a lot of backups in the lineup for the Nats on Monday evening, so the Rockies better take advantage of that! Tuesday will have Joe Ross (1-0, 3.86) against German Marquez (season debut 1-1, 5.23 last year) Wednesday see's Tyler Chatwood (2-2, 4.10) vs. Tanner Roark (2-0, 3.65) and Thursday's series finale has Antonio Senzatela (3-0, 2.08) against Gio Gonzalez (2-0, 1.35). Mets will start Jacob deGrom (0-1, 2.55), Zach Wheeler (1-2, 5.40), Robert Gsellman (0-1, 5.09) scheduled for Friday, Saturday & Sunday respectively. Nats will go with some combination of Stephen Strasburg (2-0, 2.89), Scherzer (3-1, 1.95) and Ross (1-0, 3.86) this weekend, likely Strasburg vs. deGrom Friday, Wheeler vs. Scherzer Saturday, and Gsellman vs. Ross on Sunday, but it's possible Turner gets another turn in the rotation, doubtful, but if he pitches well he could. Mets stay home to face the Braves mid week before traveling to Washington, while the Rockies head to Arizona for a 3 game weekend series after the Nats leave town. Nats have next Monday off before welcoming in the D'Backs for 3 games beginning on Tuesday. I'm heading down to DC on Thursday, heading to the game on Saturday afternoon, so I'll have a full week recap either on Monday night or Tuesday afternoon. Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday games start at 8:40, Thursday game starts at 3:10, Friday start at 7:05, Saturday at 1:05 and Sunday at 1:35

Old 04-25-2017, 09:49 AM

It should be illegal for ESPN to dictate such ridiculous play-and-travel schedules for any club. The union has taken some steps to go after such silliness, but obviously they need to push harder.

Old 04-25-2017, 03:04 PM

Pub: I've complained about the Sunday night baseball game time and again in this thread. Forgot which pages, but I think it starts around pages 30 or 40. I had 3 suggestion, 2 of which seem reasonable, but since ESPN likes to shove certain teams down our throats (Red Sox, Yankees, Cubs, Mets, Dodgers) while completely ignoring others (Rays, Reds, Brewers, Rockies, D'Backs) these 2 reasonable suggesstions aren't too reasonable, while the 3rd sounds reasonable as well, but with MLB's stupid blackout restrictions isn't reasonable either:

Option #1 that I thought of: Any team that has to play a Sunday night game AND has the next series on the road gets the next day (Monday) off. Since there's only a certain number of off days, and you can only play I think 20 days straight without a day off, with all these teams that get shoved down our throats it's not reasonable.....HOWEVER.....there's about 25 weeks plus or minus that have a Sunday night game. If every team made 2 appearances (there would be about 5 teams that would only make 1 appearance) than every team that plays the Sunday night would get the next day off. Sounds easy right?? What's wrong about this??

Option #2: Any team that plays the Sunday night game can't play more than 500 miles away the next day: I.e if the Nats played the Sunday night game in New York, they could play at home, in Boston, at the other New York team, in Philadelphia, in Baltimore, or in Pittsburgh. Like option #1, this would seem fairly easy to implement...............if we didn't have some teams that had 7 appearances .

Option #3: For every time zone a team has to travel to play the next day, the Sunday night game starts 1 hour earlier. If the Nats play the Sunday night game at home, and have to play Monday in Chicago, the Sunday night game starts at 7, if they play in Colorado it starts at 6, or if they play on the West Coast it starts at 5. With the broadcasting rights and the ESPN schedule with Sportscenter crowding the airways I don't see this as a forseeable option either.

BTW: this is the Sunday night schedule up through June 4, tell me if anything else seems unusual:
April 2: Cubs @ Cardinals
April 9: Marlins @ Mets
April 16: Cardinals @ Yankees
April 23: Nationals @ Mets
April 30: Cubs @ Red Sox
May 7: Yankees @ Cubs
May 14: Astros @ Yankees
May 21: Rangers @ Tigers
May 28: Mets @ Pirates
June 4: Cardinals @ Cubs

For those counting: That is 10 weeks, 2 time zones, only 7 different cities, and we only have 11 teams represented in those 10 weeks meaning almost half the games have at least 1 repeating team from a previous week. And of those 11 teams the Cubs are on Sunday night baseball 4 times in the first 10 weeks, the Yankees and Cardinals each have 3 appearances in the first 10 weeks, and week 10 (June 4) is the same exact matchup from a previous week (week 1) .
Also, for those keeping track at home, the 2 best teams currently in baseball (Orioles & Rockies) have a combined 0 Sunday Night appearances the first 10 weeks, and when we expand it to the 5 best teams (Orioles & Rockies along with the Nationals, Astros & Diamondbacks), the 5 best teams currently on April 25 only have 2 Sunday night appearances the first 10 weeks. The whole thing is a complete sham! I hate it, and wish the Nats never played a Sunday night game as that's when I usually catch up on my DVR anyways.

Old 04-25-2017, 03:58 PM

4,322 posts, read 2,258,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Pub: I've complained about the Sunday night baseball game time and again in this thread. Forgot which pages, but I think it starts around pages 30 or 40. I had 3 suggestion, 2 of which seem reasonable, but since ESPN likes to shove certain teams down our throats (Red Sox, Yankees, Cubs, Mets, Dodgers) while completely ignoring others (Rays, Reds, Brewers, Rockies, D'Backs) these 2 reasonable suggesstions aren't too reasonable, while the 3rd sounds reasonable as well, but with MLB's stupid blackout restrictions isn't reasonable either:

Option #1 that I thought of: Any team that has to play a Sunday night game AND has the next series on the road gets the next day (Monday) off. Since there's only a certain number of off days, and you can only play I think 20 days straight without a day off, with all these teams that get shoved down our throats it's not reasonable.....HOWEVER.....there's about 25 weeks plus or minus that have a Sunday night game. If every team made 2 appearances (there would be about 5 teams that would only make 1 appearance) than every team that plays the Sunday night would get the next day off. Sounds easy right?? What's wrong about this??

Option #2: Any team that plays the Sunday night game can't play more than 500 miles away the next day: I.e if the Nats played the Sunday night game in New York, they could play at home, in Boston, at the other New York team, in Philadelphia, in Baltimore, or in Pittsburgh. Like option #1, this would seem fairly easy to implement...............if we didn't have some teams that had 7 appearances .

Option #3: For every time zone a team has to travel to play the next day, the Sunday night game starts 1 hour earlier. If the Nats play the Sunday night game at home, and have to play Monday in Chicago, the Sunday night game starts at 7, if they play in Colorado it starts at 6, or if they play on the West Coast it starts at 5. With the broadcasting rights and the ESPN schedule with Sportscenter crowding the airways I don't see this as a forseeable option either.

BTW: this is the Sunday night schedule up through June 4, tell me if anything else seems unusual:
April 2: Cubs @ Cardinals
April 9: Marlins @ Mets
April 16: Cardinals @ Yankees
April 23: Nationals @ Mets
April 30: Cubs @ Red Sox
May 7: Yankees @ Cubs
May 14: Astros @ Yankees
May 21: Rangers @ Tigers
May 28: Mets @ Pirates
June 4: Cardinals @ Cubs

For those counting: That is 10 weeks, 2 time zones, only 7 different cities, and we only have 11 teams represented in those 10 weeks meaning almost half the games have at least 1 repeating team from a previous week. And of those 11 teams the Cubs are on Sunday night baseball 4 times in the first 10 weeks, the Yankees and Cardinals each have 3 appearances in the first 10 weeks, and week 10 (June 4) is the same exact matchup from a previous week (week 1) .
Also, for those keeping track at home, the 2 best teams currently in baseball (Orioles & Rockies) have a combined 0 Sunday Night appearances the first 10 weeks, and when we expand it to the 5 best teams (Orioles & Rockies along with the Nationals, Astros & Diamondbacks), the 5 best teams currently on April 25 only have 2 Sunday night appearances the first 10 weeks. The whole thing is a complete sham! I hate it, and wish the Nats never played a Sunday night game as that's when I usually catch up on my DVR anyways.
Sunday Night Baseball isn't going anywhere. Whether you like it or not, it's not going away.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:29 PM

It doesn't have to go away. As critics like 7express do such a good job of pointing out however, it shouldn't wreak havoc on teams and players either. All that ESPN et al. actually care about is eyeballs and profits. There should be rules against their debasing all other interests to their own. It's not actually their game after all.

Schedule-makers have a tough time fitting a particular 81 games into a chopped up and blocked out 26 weeks at every venue. They certainly can't make allowances in advance for what the likes of ESPN might come along later and do.

The new CBA is supposed to allow for more off days next year. Part of that should be considering any Monday game originally scheduled after what became a Sunday night game to have been rained out and in need of rescheduling. It's silly to keep doing things the way they have been.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:33 AM

Anyone do ziMS "Night at the Park" last night? A chance to mix and mingle while enjoying endless food and drink, and all for a very good cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or