U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2017, 07:17 AM

19,021 posts, read 7,402,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Pub: Miami (2 games), Atlanta & Washington (3 games) all played interleague series at Oakland and only 1 (Nats) played the A's series right before or right after the Giants series. I won't be able to edit this post because it will be too long but I'll take a look at 2014 with the NL East teams; last time the NL East played AL West in interleague.
Congrats. You guys look great this year. As for my Mets, can't explain the under-performance of the healthy starters at all, particularly DeGrom. See you next year. Been too busy to watch much or post here much, but I think 2017 is best Nats shot yet at moving deeper into October.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 01:28 PM

6,553 posts, read 4,511,174 times
Yup I agree Bob. If they can't make the NLCS this year than it just isn't happening for this group of players. Unless the Cubs or some other NL Central team go on a big run, the Nats and the Dodgers are going to end up on opposite sides of each other in the playoffs, and those are probably the 2 best NL teams. I wouldn't blame Harper for leaving!

Old 06-04-2017, 01:45 PM

3,576 posts, read 1,242,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Yup I agree Bob. If they can't make the NLCS this year than it just isn't happening for this group of players.
Who's leaving after this year?
C - Weiters has a player option. He will probably go.
1B - Zimmerman will be back
2B - Murphy gets a $5 million rais
3B - Rendon will get an arbitration raise
SS - Turner is still pre-arb
LF - Werth is a free agent so $21 million is cleared
CF - Eaton will be back on a $2 million raise
RF - Harper will be in his final season and will get $8 million more

So, left field and probably catcher will need to be replaced.

SP - Strasburg will return
SP - Scherzer will return
SP - Gonzalez has a $12 million player option, which he may exercise.
SP - Roark will get an arbitration raise
SP - Ross will be back. And others will compete for the 5th spot.

A few holes to fill. Limited money to fill them.

Still think this is the best NL East team in 2018

Old 06-04-2017, 06:07 PM

Default 35-20

Averted a complete bullpen meltdown in the series finale Sunday which allowed us to escape Oakland with a series win.

Friday: Nats 13 @ A's 3. Rendon finished 2-5 with 2 runs scored and 3 RBI's as the Nats pounded out 13 runs on 20 hits.
Saturday: Nats 4 @ A's 10. Now it was the A's turn for an offensive explosion as Jed Lowrie (3-5 4 RBI's), Ryon Healy (4-4, 3 RBI's 2 runs scored) and Yonder Alonso (2-3, 2 RBI's, 3 runs scored) were the offensive stars as each hit home runs and the A's pounded out 10 runs on 11 hits to even the series.
Sunday: Nats 11 @ A's 10. Surprisingly, this was only a 3-3 game after 7 as both Roark & Sonny Gray were terrific, so let's skip ahead to the 8th. Zimmerman hit a 3 run homer off of Ryan Madson to take a 6-3 lead after 7 and a half. A's got 1 back in the bottom half to make it 6-4 going into the 9th. Weiters and Taylor had back-to-back home runs and Murphy added a 2 run single to go up 11-4 after 8 and a half. Koda Glover who got the final out in the 8th and was still in line for the save failed to record out in the 9th as he faced 5 batters and all 5 scored including his last batter he faced on a bases loaded walk in what was than 11-5 game . Shawn Kelley relieves Glover with the bases loaded and the second batter he faces, Matt Joyce takes him out for a grand slam, but luckily Rendon would record the final 2 outs as they head to LA with a series win and a 5-1 road trip through the Bay Area.

3 game series in LA starts on Monday. Hyun-Jin Ryu (2-5, 3.91) starts for the Dodgers on Monday against Gio Gonzalez (4-1, 3.03), Max Scherzer (6-3, 2.56) faces Brandon McCarthy (5-2, 3.38) on Tuesday, and in what's shaping up to be an excellent pitchers duel on Wednesday (and than watch the score be 19-18) Stephen Strasburg (7-1, 2.91) faces off against Clayton Kershaw (7-2, 2.28). Monday & Tuesday night games are at 10:10 while Wednesday's getaway game is at 3:10. A's stay at home and welcome what used to the Nationals franchise neighbor, the Toronto Blue Jays, in for 3 games beginning on Monday night as well.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:56 AM

4,229 posts, read 2,140,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Who's leaving after this year?
So, left field and probably catcher will need to be replaced.
Harper moves to left. The Gold Glover Eaton takes over in right. Either Michael A Taylor or Victor Robles patrols in center. Meanwhile, Wieters will stay, either on the $10.5 million player-option or on a sweetened extension.

Quote:
A few holes to fill. Limited money to fill them.
Limited money? Even the Dodgers don't have UNLIMITED money.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:15 PM

Default 37-21

Monday: Nats 4 @ Dodgers 1. Rendon homer in the 2nd put them in front and a Weiters 2 run single in the 4th put them up 3-0. Dodgers would get their lone 2 runs in the 6th on a Chris Taylor double and Franklin Gutierrez ground out.
Tuesday: Nats 2 @ Dodgers 1. Harper got Scherzer a 1-0 lead on a sac fly, and Murphy gave him a second run in the 4th, and really that was a all Scherzer needed. He followed up his complete game, 11 strikeout outing in San Francisco last Wednesday with 3 hits allowed (only 1 after the first inning), and 14 strikeouts in 7 innings, and Ollie & Koda Glover got the final 6 outs, including Koda who struck out Puig to end the game as I guess Puig didn't like Koda's celebrating and the benches cleared, but luckily cooler heads prevailed before something idiotic happened.
Wednesday: Nats 1 @ Dodgers 2. Frustration was the name of the day as even with Clayton Kershaw on the mound it could have easily been a sweep, or at the very least extra innings. Ryan Zimmerman homered off Kershaw in the 2nd and than the bad fundamentals started. Michael Taylor committed a 3 base error dropping Utley's pop up in the 2nd, but luckily he got stranded at 3rd. In the 6th with 2 outs Corey Seager homered to tie the game, and the next batter Adrian Gonzalez struck out.....but he reached first on a passed ball as the ball scooted past Jose Lobaton. 2 pitches later Lobaton had another passed ball which got Gonzalez to second, and on the next pitch Yasmani Grandal doubled just past the outstretched, diving Ryan Raburn. Trea Turner lead off the 8th with a triple off of Pedro Baez (scroll down to the asterick (*) where I'll tell you how awful this decision was...........and I'm not even a Dodgers fan! It was that terrible I'm going to rant about it in their opponents thread!), Raburn struck out (HAVE TO put the ball in play there), Harper grounded out to the pitcher which got Turner caught in a rundown however since Harper jogged it to first base, Turner couldn't stay in it long enough to get Harper to second, and than Zim grounded out against Kenley Jansen. For 1 last fundamental error on the day, Murphy committed an error that was immediately erased when Gonzalez tried to steal second. When's the last time Gonzalez attempted a steal?? 2007 when he was still with the Padres??

Dodgers have Thursday off, and stay at home as the Reds come in for a 3 game weekend series starting Friday night. The Nats are in the process of heading back east as they'll face the Orioles in a makeup game from a game rained out on May 11. Joe Ross (2-2, 7.34) starts against ex-Phillie Alec Asher (2-3, 3.62). Game time at 7:05. Then the Rangers will come in for 3 starting on Friday.

*: Now onto the Baez entering in the 8th inning. I know it's only June, so you don't want to run Kershaw into the ground now, and he was a little unKershaw like as he allowed 3 walks (had only walked 11 going in) so he threw a little more pitches than usual, but he was only at 95. Not only was he only at 95, there's no way he throws more 20 in the 8th inning unless he gets in trouble in which case you just bring Jansen in to clean up the mess......................which is exactly what Dave Roberts did anyways!!!!!!!! He's the best pitcher in the freaking National League, you've lost 3 straight games! Unless he said his arm was going to fall off throwing 1 more pitch that game you leave him in there for the inning unless the Nats get 2 runners on. The fact that Dave Roberts actually had Kershaw bat for himself in the 7th inning and THAN replaced him makes this decision even more moronic! There were 2 outs so maybe Roberts didn't want to quote-in-quote "waste" a pinch hitter in case this game went a while, but he should've remembered that the Dodgers only 2 runs came with 2 outs in an inning. And I would hope he didn't forget when those 2 runs came.........................because it was the freaking previous inning for Christ's sake!! For a team that's lost 5 of 7 and have scored 2 runs or fewer in 7 of their last 8 games (including this one) you leave in your star pitcher to bat with 2 outs in the 7th inning of a 2-1 game......and than take him out of the game before he throws a pitch in the 8th. What the....?? I'm trying, and really struggling, to find an answer for that.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:16 PM

3,576 posts, read 1,242,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
Harper moves to left. The Gold Glover Eaton takes over in right. Either Michael A Taylor or Victor Robles patrols in center. Meanwhile, Wieters will stay, either on the $10.5 million player-option or on a sweetened extension.
I'm in no way convinced that Taylor is a good enough player to start for a team with World Series aspirations. I'd also not trust center field on a contending team to Victor Robles at this stage in his development. I can't speak for the Nationals.

Wieters, as I said, will probably decline the option.

Quote:
Limited money? Even the Dodgers don't have UNLIMITED money.
Of course
Of course, I also think you know what I meant.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:11 PM

Default 38-21

Orioles 1 @ Nats 6. Ross struck out 12 in 7.1 innings as the Nats, first game back home following a 9 game road trip played the B team (Murphy, Zimmerman, & Rendon all sat out along with Werth who I believe is injured) and saw Stephen Drew and Taylor each with 2 RBI's.

3 game series vs. the Rangers start on Friday: Tanner Roark (6-2, 3.95) starts on Friday against Andrew Cashner (2-5, 3.39), Martin Perez (2-6, 4.64) takes the ball for the Rangers against Gio Gonzalez (5-1, 3.03) on Saturday while Max Scherzer (7-3, 2.35) starts on Sunday against an undecided for the Rangers. Due to the Nats annual dream gala event on Saturday evening, the games times for this 3 game series are a little strange: Friday is normal at 7:05, and due to the dream gala event Saturday's game begins at 12:05 and Sunday's game will be at 4:05. Orioles head up to the Bronx to take on the Yankees for 3 games beginning on Friday.

Old 06-11-2017, 05:12 PM

4,229 posts, read 2,140,853 times
Quote:
I'm in no way convinced that Taylor is a good enough player to start for a
team with World Series aspirations.
I wonder if you've seen him enough

Quote:
I'd also not trust center field on a contending team to Victor Robles at this stage in his development.
]
Many were saying the same about Harper at this point in 2012.

Quote:
Wieters, as I said, will probably decline the option.
He will "probably" not ever have to consider it.

Quote:
Of course. Of course, I also think you know what I meant.
If I did, I would not have raised the question. The wealth of the Lerner family meanwhile rivals that of Scrooge McDuck.

Old 06-11-2017, 05:27 PM

Default 38-24

Time to kick the Rangers out of town and ban them from coming back before 2023!

Friday: Rangers 5 @ Nats 2. Jonathan Lucroy finished 3-4 with 3 RBI's and a home run. Nats had 9 hits but left 17 runners on base and committed 3 errors.
Saturday: Rangers 6 @ Nats 3 (11 innings). Lind would homer in the 6th to give the Nats a 3-1 lead which they would hold until the 9th when Shin-Soo Choo lead off with a homer and then a couple batters later Nomar Mazara would tie it on a double, however the Nats would avert disaster and end the inning at 3-3 when Harper threw out pinch runner Pete Kozma (still lives in DC lore ) on a fly ball to right. Nats should have won it in the bottom half: Drew lead off with a double, Wilmer Difo pinch ran, and Weiters advanced him to 3rd on a ground out. After Brian Goodwin struck out, Trea Turner laid down a perfect down that would have easily won the game, but Difo stopped halfway down the line and was tagged out by the catcher Robinson Chironos. What's that old adage he who hesitates is lost?? . Nats got the first 2 Rangers out in the top of the 11, but then Joey Gallo doubled, and Chirinos followed an intentional walk to Mazara with a 3 home run homer which just cleared the jump of Goodwin in LF.
Sunday: Rangers 5 @ Nats 1. Brian Goodwin lead off the game with a homer, but that would basically be all the offense the Nats would record only 2 more hits and 3 more base runers total for the final 27 outs. Choo tied it in the 3rd with a homer, and the Rangers won it with 4 in the 8th; the go ahead run scoring on a passed ball (where else this week have I seen us lose on a passed ball ) 2 scoring on an Elvis Andrus triple, and the final run coming in when Andrus scored on a sac fly. The only highlight for the Nats this weekend was Scherzer surpassing 2,000 career strikeouts in this game.

2 struggling teams will be matched up in DC at Nats Park this week as the Braves will make their first visit of the year to Nats Park for 3 games beginning on Monday. The Braves are losers of 4 straight overall after losing the final 3 games to the Metropolitans, and have lost 11 of their last 19, while the Nats have lost 3 straight overall and 4 of their last 5. Mike Foltynewicz (4-5, 3.48) starts for the Braves Monday against Stephen Strasburg (7-2, 2.80), Joe Ross (3-2, 6.16) starts against R.A. Dickey (4-4, 4.73) Tuesday, and Julio Teheran (5-4, 5.08) vs. Tanner Roark (6-3, 3.87) will be the pitching matchup in the series finale on Wednesday. Monday & Tuesday games are at 7:05, while Wednesday's game is at 4:05. Rangers head to Houston for 3 games with the MLB leading Astros beginning on Monday night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or