U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2017, 02:29 PM

6,541 posts, read 4,490,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf1958 View Post
Nats are actually in deep trouble, no matter their huge division lead. With Turner out, it hurts the defense and offense, with his speed. Also, Dusty is burning out the starters with most going well over 100 pitches per game. When money time comes in October, they will have rubber arms.

This is Dusty's history, burning out pitchers. Also, Dusty is good for a young team learning, but not a veteran team. He's proven over and over he can't manage in the playoffs. As a Giants fan, I remember 2002 all too well, even though he helped us in 2012 when he mismanaged the Reds to lose a five game series when up 2-0 AT HOME.

Think if they fail in the playoffs again, Dusty will be gone and Bryce may request a trade. With the league this year, this could be the year to finally win it all, but I don't have confidence.

Well can you really blame Dusty for having Scherzer throw a 120 pitches a game?? This bullpen is a complete dumpster fire!! I'd rather have Scherzer pitch the 9th in a tie game at 160 pitches than have one of those $#!tty relievers come in to give up 9 runs. If we lose (like that game against the Marlins last week when Scherzer had the no hitter) at least we went down with our best, albeit our best clearly gassed, than one of those bad relievers. And I'm sure every Nationals fan agrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 06:28 AM

4,229 posts, read 2,129,835 times
The playoffs are a made-for-TV crapshoot, but the odds of the Nationals participating in them at all do indeed take a serious hit given Turner's injury. Losing Eaton and Werth was bad enough, but Taylor, and to a lesser extent Goodwin, have played well enough to soften what could have been devastating blows. The bullpen though has not been able to close ranks behind the injuries to Sammy Solis and Koda Glover, and even if Steven Drew surprises, he won't be anything close to Trea Turner. With Tanner Roark seemingly lost as well, it's questionable at this point whether the Nats can actually play in the vicinity of .500 ball until they are able to get right and healthy once again, assuming that they ever do.

And there's also the matter of Mike Rizzo having only a small stack of chips to play with these days. That's mostly the price of the team's having been good for a while, but signing K-Rod and ultimately promoting Fedde may turn out to be the biggest deals that the team will be able to make over the summer. Not convinced here that it will be enough.

Last edited by Pub-911; 07-02-2017 at 06:43 AM..

Old 07-02-2017, 07:37 AM

Barring a major collapse by the Dodgers, this team is going to end up playing the Central winner in the playoffs. Unless that divisions winner are the Pirates or Brewers (both doubtful) I don't see this team playing very deep into October.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:56 PM

4,322 posts, read 2,258,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Barring a major collapse by the Dodgers, this team is going to end up playing the Central winner in the playoffs. Unless that divisions winner are the Pirates or Brewers (both doubtful) I don't see this team playing very deep into October.
Uh, Brewers are doing good so far! You don't know that yet.

Old 07-02-2017, 11:04 PM

Default 48-34

Seems like every year the Nats against the Cardinals is the equivalent of a high school freshmen basketball team against the Golden State Warriors - completely over matched! And also, barring a huge collapse/Bellinger injury for the Dodgers, this team is going to be playing the Central winner in the playoffs, and I know I said this the other day, and I know the Brewers are playing well Jonathan, but I want absolutely NO PART of the Cards again, no matter how flawed they may be, seems the organization always craps the bed against them. I don't see a Cubs series going that well either, but at least I'd take my chances on beating them.

Friday: Nats 1 @ Cards 8. Yadier Molina lead the Cards with a pair of 1 run singles as Roark had another subpar outing. Is it time to start worrying??
Saturday: Nats 1 @ Cards 2. Cards rookie Alex Mejia had both RBI's, a single in the 2nd, and a homer in the 7th. Also, the ending to this game was freaking terrible! After Trevor Rosenthal loads the bases with 2 outs, Matt Bowman relievers him to clean up Rosenthal's mess and pick up his save. Adrian Sanchez, the rookie called up when Turner went on the DL with his fractured wrist is making his first career plate appearance. It's a 3-2 count, and Sanchez gets called out on a pitch that is 6 inches off the plate. I'm not complaining about the call. When you have as much pedigree as Yadi Molina does, he's going to get borderline calls for his pitcher. if you're a rookie like Sanchez, your are going to get those same pitches called strikes, especially in your first plate appearance. When you are a rookie for your first plate appearance when Molina is catching you might get pitches called 10 inches off the plate, so anything that is remotely close (at least 10 inches maybe as far as 15) you have got to swing and protect. So I'm not bothered by that because I know that's part of the game. However, what I do have a problem with is Molina basically called strike 3 for the umpire. The ump wasn't going to call it, but Molian leapt up out of the crouch when he received the pitch and started motioning for the strike out single and than finally after that did the umpire call it strike 3. C'mon! I would have no problem with the strike out call, even though it was a clear ball, and would have been ball 4 if Ryan Zimmerman were batting and the catcher was Madi Yolina, but call the strike when Molina receives it, don't let him dictate it for you!
Sunday: Nats 7 @ Cards 2. Fresh off his starting selection for the NL for the All Star game next week, Harper blasted 2 home runs, and his teammate, Scherzer, also joining him in Miami next week had 12 strikeouts and 2 hits allowed, lowering his ERA to a majors best 1.94.

Nats head home for 3 games with the Mets beginning Monday, 3 games with 3 different start times. Steven Matz (2-1, 2.67) starts for the Mets against Stephen Strasburg (9-2, 3.51) Monday, Seth Lugo (3-1, 3.55) starts for the Mets Tuesday against Joe Ross (4-3, 5.12) and Tanner Roark (6-6, 5.27) goes for the Nats Wednesday against Jacob deGrom (8-3, 3.55). Monday's game at 6:05, Tuesday's game is the annual 11:05 July 4 breakfast with the Nats game, and Wednesday resumes at a normal time 7:05. Cards continue on their 10 game home stand against East teams to finish the first half as the Marlins will be in St. Louis for 4 beginning Monday.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:06 PM

Default 50-34

They probably just stuck the fork in the Mets, if it wasn't already stuck in. They finish the first half against the Braves, so they can stick the fork in them, if its not already by this time next week.

Monday: Mets 2 @ Nats 3. Michael Taylor homered to break a 0-0 tie in the 8th, and Curtis Granderson's pinch hit homer in the 9th tied it. Ryan Raburn had the walk off single with 2 outs in the 9th.
Tuesday: Mets 4 @ Nats 11. Jose Reyes took the 2nd pitch of the game over the wall in right field, and after the Nats took the lead in the 3rd on back-to-back singles from Harper & Murphy, Rene Rivera would lead off the 4th with a homer to tie it at 2. From that point on, it was all Nats as they scored 4 runs in the 5th and would add 3 more in the 6th on their way to double digit runs for Ross. All told Ross, who has made 12 starts this year, has gotten double digit runs 7 times, including the Nats 2 highest scoring games of the year (23 runs against the Mets, and 18 last week against the Reds), so that's why he can be 5-3 with an almost 5 ERA.
Wednesday. Mets 0 @ Nats 0 (postponed). Postponed due to inclement weather in DC with a makeup yet to be announced. The Mets final visit to DC comes in August when roster's don't expand yet, so that would be an inconvienent time for a double header, and all told they only have 2 common off days between now and the end of the season. The first one is September 11: The Nats are at home between series with the Phils & Braves, for the rare off day at home, while the Mets have September 11 off between a home series with the Reds, and a series @ Chicago. I'd say September 11 should be a logical choice, mainly because how can a New York AND Washington team have September 11 off, but that comes with logistics. In the Mets case, if they play September 11, they would be playing 23 straight days, and if the Nats take that off day away they would be playing 27 straight days, and I believe you need union approval to play more than 20 straight days.....however, with that coming in September, with the expanding rosters, and the Mets season likely in the tubes by that point, I think both teams would accept. The other mutual off day, shared by all 30 teams actually, is Thursday, the 13, the Thursday after the All Star game, one of only 2 dark days on the MLB schedule. Why MLB decided to take games away on that date I have no idea, because up until 8 or so years ago, teams used to play that day, but I assume you could make up games on that day?? Mets open the series at home, while the Nats only head to Cincinnati, so even a game that starts at 7 PM shouldn't cause much travel problems for either team. However, if I had to guess the double header will be for the Sunday game. The Nats prior to that series have a Thursday night game in Houston, so I doubt they'd want a double header Friday. The Saturday game starts at 4, next to impossible to get a split gate for that time. Next series for each after that final Mets visit see's the Nats stay at home, and the Mets travel to Cincinnati, but with Monday off, so a day-night double header looks like the logical choice for any makeup game.

Nats stay at home for their final first half series as they finish up with the Braves. Gio Gonzalez (7-3, 2.77) starts Thursday against Mike Foltynewicz (6-5, 3.83), R.A. Dickey (6-5, 4.44) faces Max Scherzer (10-5, 1.94) Friday, Stephen Strasburg (9-2, 3.28) against Julio Teheran (6-6, 5.14) is the matchup for Saturday, and Sean Newcomb (1-3, 3.58) will face either Ross (5-3, 4.86) or Tanner Roark (6-6, 5.27) depending on whether Dusty wants to get Roark another start before the All Star break. of course Roark could work out of the bullpen this series which would make the "who starts Sunday" a non decision in the end. Mets will ultimately have 2 days off (and since the Tuesday game ended at around 2:30 PM, really about 3 days off) as they had a scheduled day off Thursday before heading to St. Louis to finish the first half of the schedule against the Cardinals.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:59 AM

3,718 posts, read 4,785,954 times
The following comment comes from a Reddit post on the Nationals subreddit about potential trade targets. It's the person's own work:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Nationals/c...dline/dk1cfyz/

Quote:
Sorted in order of likeliness (feel free to give criticism):

THE LIKELY:

*David Robertson / Swarzak *: I can just see Rizzo trying to work a megadeal here, and money was the only hangup with the white sox in the offseason, so midway through the season will not be as expensive for us. Context - Robertson is owed 12 million this year. We would owe him about 6 if we acquire him now, and we are paying Joe Blanton 4.

AJ Ramos / David Phelps: As much as I wish I could say Barroclough, he's cheap, got team control, and I doubt the marlins would trade that to a divisional rival. Ramos and Phelps are available as primarily salary dumps (and won't cost much prospect wise).

Ryan Madson: Madson is under team control for 2017 and 18 at 7.5 million per year. He's reasonably affordable and having a solid year, but is 36. He would not cost very much in terms of prospects.

Pat Neshek: A proven pitcher who is having a great season and can be sold as a rental. I see this deal as being very plausible, in that the Phillies are the worst team in baseball (so won't care about trading in division). He's drawn quite a lot of interest however, so there is a lot of competition. I see him as being very attainable, but he's probably going to be more expensive than a 36 year old rental relief arm is worth.

Doolittle: I like Doolittle (I am always biased towards Virginia natives). He has dealt with a number of health issues since being a really elite pitcher, and has put together a solid season. The A's would ask for a good deal more for him. He's extremely affordable ($$$ wise) and has lots of team control. This deal is less likely to me because the A's would certainly want a bigger haul given Doolittle's pedigree. We're not talking the Andrew Miller/Chapman type prospect dumps quite at this point, but it would hurt. At least 2 players from our top 50 prospects.

Trevor Rosenthal: Please no.

Addison Reed / Josh Edgin / Jerry Blevins: Mets will probably sell. To us? Probably not.

Bud Norris: The Angels are actually contending right now. So I doubt it.

THE UNLIKELY (Pitchers who will require a Cubs/Chapman level haul):

1. Roberto Osuna
2. Brad Hand
3. Rasiel Iglesias
4. Zach Britton (only been mentioned in a couple reports that suggest the Orioles should sell him. They won't).

Other names (These guys have not been mentioned in trade talks, but are on teams who are selling and could fall into our hands):

1. Danny Barnes
2. Ryan Tepera
3. George Kontos
4. Cory Gearin
5. Hunter Strickland (lolllllll)
6. Tony Cingrani
7. Kirby Yates
8. Justin Wilson

Old 07-14-2017, 03:21 PM

Default 52-36

Thursday: Braves 5 @ Nats 2. Raingate game! Game started at about 10:10 due to a "threat of rain" despite the fact it hardly rained at all, and was actually the last game of the evening to conclude. Kurt Suzuki gave the Bravos the lead for good in the 6th with a homer that broke a 2-2 tie.
Friday: Braves 4 @ Nats 5 (10 innings). Nats scored 3 runs in the 9th to force extras, and Murph won it in the 10th on a walk off hit over Kemp's head in left.
Saturday: Braves 13 @ Nats 0. Brandon Phillips was the only Braves starter that failed to record a hit and Braves pitcher Julio Teheran finished 2-2 with 3 RBI's and allowed only 4 hits in 7 innings to hand the Nats their first shut out of the year. They were the last NL team to get shut out, and now only the Yankees are the only team in baseball that hasn't been shut out yet this year.
Sunday: Braves 5 @ Nats 10. Another Ross start, another game scoring double digit runs, Ross' 12th start, the 8th time he's gotten double digit run support, though he did leave with an injury.

4 game wrap around series with the Reds in Cincinnati begins on Friday. Tim Adleman (5-6, 4.71) starts for the Reds Friday against Gio Gonzalez (7-4, 2.86), Max Scherzer (10-5, 2.10) starts Saturday against Luis Castillo (1-1, 3.13), Tanner Roark (6-6, 5.27) starts vs. Homer Bailey (2-2, 8.31) on Sunday, and in the likely season finale between the 2 teams Scott Feldman (7-6, 3.94) will square off against Stephen Strasburg (9-3, 3.43) on Monday afternoon. Friday & Saturday games go at 7:10, Sunday is at 1:10, and Monday's a 12:35 Monday afternoon matinee start. Braves open up the 2nd half of the season at home with 3 games against the D'Backs.

Old 07-16-2017, 03:38 PM

Rizzo traded Blake Treinen and 2 low level prospects to Oakland in exchange for 2 A;s relievers: Set up pitcher Ryan Madson and A's closer Sean Doolittle. I'd be confident with 1 more relief pitcher and than either a SS or CF/other outfielder if they do anything else. Earlier this weekend it was announced Joe Ross would need Tommy John surgery, so he will be out this year and most of next season, but a starter should be below another RP, SS & OF on the depth chart for trade candidates. In playoffs, you only run with 4 starters anyways, none of the starters on the market are that impressive, all 4 current starters are under contract through next year (Gio has an option for next season I believe), and after the Eaton trade in the winter, this organization doesn't have that many good prospects to use to get a Sonny Gray or a Gerritt Cole for example, and I'd hate to waste them on someone that will be pretty useless for the remainder of this season when there are more pressing needs to fill. Maybe a rental like Jason Vargas from KC, and move Roark to the bullpen for the playoffs that they could acquire for a lottery ticket would suffice.

Old 07-18-2017, 04:04 PM

Default 56-36

Friday: Nats 5 @ Reds 0. Harper had 2 homers and 3 RBI's as Gio pitched into the 9th inning.
Saturday: Nats 10 @ Reds 7. Nats were up 10-0 after the 7th but the Reds scored all 7 runs in the 8th & 9th when Scherzer left the game.
Sunday: Nats 14 @ Reds 4. Murphy had 2 homers and 5 RBI's, and Adam Lind, giving Zimmerman a day off had 3 RBI's.
Monday: Nats 6 @ Reds 1. Nats scored 5 runs in the 1st on back-to-back homers from Harper & Zimmerman and cruised to the sweep.

2 game interleague series in Anaheim against the Angels begins on Tuesday where the 2 new Oakland relievers Ryan Madson, and Sean Doolittle will join the team. Edwin Jackson (0-0, 7.20 [Orioles stats]) will make his return to the Nats and will be opposed by Jesse Chavez (5-10, 4.99), and Ricky Nolasco (4-10, 4.82) starts against Gio Gonzalez (8-4, 2.66) on Wednesday, with games both nights beginning at 10:07. Following an off day Thursday they will be in Phoenix for 3 games on Friday with Scherzer, Roark & Strasburg starting Friday, Saturday & Sunday respectively with games starting at 9:40, 8:10 & 4:10 respectively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or