U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2014, 08:25 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,510,388 times

Advertisements

Totally agree. This is like going back to the 2012 ALDS between the Orioles and Yankees and arguing that the O's lost because of Jim Johnson and Brian Matusz. Yeah they blew a couple games, but their offense was terrible, swinging at everything, couldn't get Sabathia out of the game in either start. They lost because of their offense. Even if Johnson hadn't blown game 1 and the O's had won in extra innings, I think the Yankees would have come back strong and taken game 2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 09:02 AM

2,386 posts, read 2,995,021 times
It's my understanding that Strasburg will pitch in game 5*. Is this true? I would like to see Zimmermann take it and do what he was denied the chance to do in game 2.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:57 PM

6,540 posts, read 4,490,735 times
Yah. I wish J Zimm was pitching game 5. I don't trust Stras in that game 5/game 7 situation yet. It could have been nerves which would be understandable but he (Stras) didn't look comfortable at all on the mound Friday night.

Still have to win game 4 though. Gio can be hit or miss. When he's on he's great when he's off.............it can get pretty ugly pretty quickly and unravel quickly. Matt's gotta have a quick hook with Gio tomorrow and have Roark available on a moments notice because I think the offense (now that they scored a couple late runs) will tee off on Ryan Vogelsong. It's just a matter of how many runs they can get (and having Werth, Roache & Desmond get some hits would help in the runs scored department!) and how many of those runs Gio gives back. HATE that the games @ 9:07, means I have all day to stress over it

Old 10-08-2014, 03:22 PM

2,386 posts, read 2,995,021 times
Well. That's all.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:49 AM

3,718 posts, read 4,785,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
Well. That's all.
Barrett never should have been brought in. And Thorton should not have stayed in as long as he did.

I really hope that Williams learns from his mistakes.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:34 PM

I don't like to be armchair managing and this has been debated to death Wednesday & Thursday:

1) I don't mind bringing Thornton in to begin the 7th because Blanco & Panik (2 left-handers) were due up 1st & 2nd, however if you do that and either of them get on you have to look further down the line & see Sandoval (batting .199 against LHP) is due up 5th and you have 2 right-handers who crush lefties before him. Personally since Blanco & Panik (outside of the Wildcard game & game 1) aren't hitting I use Clippard to begin the inning and save Thornton for Sandoval/Belt/Crawford if needed.
2) There is no way in hell Thornton should've stayed in to face Posey. I think David Schoenfeld was the one who mentioned it, but if this was a regular season in July a manager would be crucified to leave a LHP in to face Posey in that situation but it's asinine to think a manager would make that mistake in a playoff game much less an elimination game when the game is tied in the 7th and 1 more run given up in all likely ends your season?? I blame a little of this on Matt Williams/Mike Rizzo too: that'd be a good spot to have Ross Detwiller (another lefty) instead of Aaron Barrett, huh?? With a team as one sided from the left-side as the Giants were I don't know why we didn't take that extra LHP.

What I do:
I start Clippard and at least get through Pence. I get why you wouldn't use Strasburg there, and get a case with Storen too, but to refuse to use Clippard just because "it isn't the 8th inning" is stupid.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:06 AM

3,552 posts, read 5,559,865 times
I for one will miss Adam Laroche, maybe he'll latch on with another team and win a World Series a'la Michael Morse. But I won't miss Rafael Soriano. He can take his jersey untucking and shove it

Old 11-01-2014, 01:53 AM

1,815 posts, read 1,758,965 times
I am a little surprised on the Laroche situation------his option was for $17 mill, I think, so it appears to be a financial decision. Maybe they are thinking about moving Werth to first.

I am a Brewer fan, and I think they could a player on Laroche---they just opted out on Rickie Weeks on his $14 m option, so they have some flexibility, and they can sure use a power hitting first base threat. There has been some talk in Milw, about moving Braun to first, but I would love to seem them sign Laroche and keep RB in right field.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:05 PM

3,552 posts, read 5,559,865 times
Well there goes Detwiller,and I hear the Phillies are interested in Asdrubel Cabrera

Old 02-18-2015, 11:02 PM

Pitchers & catchers report to Viera later today! Even though it's still 7 degrees outside, baseball weather is in the air!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or