U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-23-2017, 12:03 PM
 
Location: Trumbull/Danbury
6,536 posts, read 4,488,527 times
Reputation: 2462

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Did they fire Dusty or just not bring him back after his contract expired?

Technically, his contract expired and they didn't renew it. But since GM Mike Rizzo said he was going to give him an extension I'm looking at it like you got fired. I don't care if your contract expires if someone tells you they are going to give you a new contract and they don't you got fired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-26-2017, 02:43 PM
 
Location: Northern Wisconsin
4,322 posts, read 2,257,613 times
Reputation: 1421
This is shocking. Nationals TV analyst Ray Knight was arrested on early Sunday morning for misdemeanor assault and battery.

Former MLB Player, Manager & Current TV Analyst Ray Knight Arrested | Arrest Nation

He could lose his job if he is convicted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2017, 06:04 PM
 
Location: Trumbull/Danbury
6,536 posts, read 4,488,527 times
Reputation: 2462
Now that Joe Girardi got let go by the Yankees, it's time to strike while the iron is hot. Back up the brinks truck and give him what he wants, as I said last week this is the one and only hire that'll make the firing of Dusty Baker worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2017, 09:39 AM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
27,798 posts, read 26,200,766 times
Reputation: 14611
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Now that Joe Girardi got let go by the Yankees, it's time to strike while the iron is hot. Back up the brinks truck and give him what he wants, as I said last week this is the one and only hire that'll make the firing of Dusty Baker worth it.
You'd think so. Has a WS, plenty of experience. But evidently some think he's no strict/disciplined enough.....is that what the Nats need?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2017, 11:33 AM
 
Location: Trumbull/Danbury
6,536 posts, read 4,488,527 times
Reputation: 2462
Well....looks like the Nats will hire Dave Martinez. Say bye bye to Harper!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2017, 03:09 PM
 
Location: Trumbull/Danbury
6,536 posts, read 4,488,527 times
Reputation: 2462
So, what I don't understand, and please SOMEONE correct me if they know the reason.

So, they fire Dusty mainly because he loses 2 game 5's at home even though he won back-to-back division titles, won over 95 games, and the players for the most part loved playing for him. The main reason they fired him is because "this team needs to win a World Series" yet they hire someone........................................... ...................That has never managed an INNING in professional baseball I'd like to know WTF they are doing with these hires??

Anyone with half of a brain knows losing in a 5 game division series isn't very a good way to deduct how a season ends up, as that is a coin flip and unlike a 7 game series where a clear better team will likely advance that is not the case with a 5 game series. We knew what we were getting with Dusty.......he's a guy who's player will go to battle for him that is going to do great in the regular season, and with some actual good luck will advance out of the NLDS. What the hell do we get with Dave %$#%ing Martinez?? Who the &^%k knows because he's never managed a ^%$king professional team in his life before!!!!!!!!!!!! He could be as successful as Dusty was with playoff success and everyone loves playing for him, or he could be a totalitarian like Matt Williams was, with the locker room tuning him out by Memorial day with the team heading to last place, and nobody knows! And another thing: This is a franchise who's best player is a free agent after 2018 they have a 1 year window to win a World Series before said player leaves (and he WILL leave, no doubt) and they hire ANOTHER rookie manager?!?! Were the Lerner's and Mike Rizzo asleep for the entirety of Matt Williams disastrous tenure?? You DO NOT hire a rookie manager for a win now team?? I'm done with this clown organization! I wish the Lerner's would sell it, and the person(s) that buy it move it back to Montreal! Put it in some owner's hand that actually cares about the damn thing! The only thing this hire proves is the Lerner's don't care, and only care about how they can save on a manager hire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2017, 04:43 PM
 
2,217 posts, read 3,084,863 times
Reputation: 1662
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
So, what I don't understand, and please SOMEONE correct me if they know the reason.

So, they fire Dusty mainly because he loses 2 game 5's at home even though he won back-to-back division titles, won over 95 games, and the players for the most part loved playing for him. The main reason they fired him is because "this team needs to win a World Series" yet they hire someone........................................... ...................That has never managed an INNING in professional baseball I'd like to know WTF they are doing with these hires??

Anyone with half of a brain knows losing in a 5 game division series isn't very a good way to deduct how a season ends up, as that is a coin flip and unlike a 7 game series where a clear better team will likely advance that is not the case with a 5 game series. We knew what we were getting with Dusty.......he's a guy who's player will go to battle for him that is going to do great in the regular season, and with some actual good luck will advance out of the NLDS. What the hell do we get with Dave %$#%ing Martinez?? Who the &^%k knows because he's never managed a ^%$king professional team in his life before!!!!!!!!!!!! He could be as successful as Dusty was with playoff success and everyone loves playing for him, or he could be a totalitarian like Matt Williams was, with the locker room tuning him out by Memorial day with the team heading to last place, and nobody knows! And another thing: This is a franchise who's best player is a free agent after 2018 they have a 1 year window to win a World Series before said player leaves (and he WILL leave, no doubt) and they hire ANOTHER rookie manager?!?! Were the Lerner's and Mike Rizzo asleep for the entirety of Matt Williams disastrous tenure?? You DO NOT hire a rookie manager for a win now team?? I'm done with this clown organization! I wish the Lerner's would sell it, and the person(s) that buy it move it back to Montreal! Put it in some owner's hand that actually cares about the damn thing! The only thing this hire proves is the Lerner's don't care, and only care about how they can save on a manager hire.
I don't think they should have fired him. Considering Harper is probably gone after next season I look at next year as being the year. WS or Bust. It rarely ever happens when a new manager takes a team to the WS and wins it. That's why many Dodgers fans weren't crazy about Donnie leaving when he did because we felt we had the best shot to get & win the series.

Some people however feel that you're going to replace him soon anyway so should you continue to let him stay if you don't think anythign is going to change?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2017, 04:46 PM
 
18,858 posts, read 7,332,083 times
Reputation: 8066
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
So, what I don't understand, and please SOMEONE correct me if they know the reason.

So, they fire Dusty mainly because he loses 2 game 5's at home even though he won back-to-back division titles, won over 95 games, and the players for the most part loved playing for him. The main reason they fired him is because "this team needs to win a World Series" yet they hire someone........................................... ...................That has never managed an INNING in professional baseball I'd like to know WTF they are doing with these hires??

Anyone with half of a brain knows losing in a 5 game division series isn't very a good way to deduct how a season ends up, as that is a coin flip and unlike a 7 game series where a clear better team will likely advance that is not the case with a 5 game series. We knew what we were getting with Dusty.......he's a guy who's player will go to battle for him that is going to do great in the regular season, and with some actual good luck will advance out of the NLDS. What the hell do we get with Dave %$#%ing Martinez?? Who the &^%k knows because he's never managed a ^%$king professional team in his life before!!!!!!!!!!!! He could be as successful as Dusty was with playoff success and everyone loves playing for him, or he could be a totalitarian like Matt Williams was, with the locker room tuning him out by Memorial day with the team heading to last place, and nobody knows! And another thing: This is a franchise who's best player is a free agent after 2018 they have a 1 year window to win a World Series before said player leaves (and he WILL leave, no doubt) and they hire ANOTHER rookie manager?!?! Were the Lerner's and Mike Rizzo asleep for the entirety of Matt Williams disastrous tenure?? You DO NOT hire a rookie manager for a win now team?? I'm done with this clown organization! I wish the Lerner's would sell it, and the person(s) that buy it move it back to Montreal! Put it in some owner's hand that actually cares about the damn thing! The only thing this hire proves is the Lerner's don't care, and only care about how they can save on a manager hire.
We have seen 3 managers make the post season not to return.

Weirdest October in ages in that regard.

I do agree, its 2018 or start over in DC. My hunch is, they will watch Murphy walk, too. So by 2019, Strasburg should understand why DeGrom runs up 18 win level ERAs and struggles to actually win 15.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 09:58 PM
 
Location: Fairfax County, VA
3,718 posts, read 4,784,653 times
Reputation: 1454
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
We have seen 3 managers make the post season not to return.
To be fair, Davey retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post

I do agree, its 2018 or start over in DC. My hunch is, they will watch Murphy walk, too. So by 2019, Strasburg should understand why DeGrom runs up 18 win level ERAs and struggles to actually win 15.
Why do you say that it's a start over in 2019? And if Murphy walks, then we'll hopefully still have Difo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2017, 07:55 PM
 
18,858 posts, read 7,332,083 times
Reputation: 8066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
To be fair, Davey retired.



Why do you say that it's a start over in 2019? And if Murphy walks, then we'll hopefully still have Difo.
Your lineup revolves around 3 key parts: Turner, Murphy, and Harper. Lose 2 of 3 and your pitchers better get used to winning 1-0. If you lose both, your lineup is subpar.

I do suspect Nats banked on winning 1 or at least a WS appearance by now. 2018 is last shot with this crew, much as KC in 2015 in beating Mets was also soon going to dissolve from that 25.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top