U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2018, 12:45 AM

6,546 posts, read 4,496,603 times

Advertisements

I disagree Bob, I think the Nats end up catching and surpassing the Bravos eventually. Probably actually better for them that way. The prior 4 years they made the playoffs (12, 14, 16 & 17) the division was terrible, and coasted for the last half of the season never playing in a meaningful game until the playoffs started. That 2012 team was a year or 2 ahead of schedule, and the Braves actually lead the East for the majority of the 2014 season (I'm pretty sure they were still in the lead in August) before they completely fell of a cliff, and their end of season was so bad and the Nats end of season was so good that the Nats won the division with like 2 weeks to play in the regular season. 2016 the Mets were a decent challenger but with the Mets injuries and the strength of the Nats (with Murph switching teams) that division was never really in doubt even though the Mets were a Wildcard and in 2017 EVERYONE stunk. So, here's hoping the Braves, Mets & Phillies at least keep it interesting until September 15 or so, is that too much to ask??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 12:18 PM

41,022 posts, read 18,583,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
I disagree Bob, I think the Nats end up catching and surpassing the Bravos eventually. Probably actually better for them that way. The prior 4 years they made the playoffs (12, 14, 16 & 17) the division was terrible, and coasted for the last half of the season never playing in a meaningful game until the playoffs started. That 2012 team was a year or 2 ahead of schedule, and the Braves actually lead the East for the majority of the 2014 season (I'm pretty sure they were still in the lead in August) before they completely fell of a cliff, and their end of season was so bad and the Nats end of season was so good that the Nats won the division with like 2 weeks to play in the regular season. 2016 the Mets were a decent challenger but with the Mets injuries and the strength of the Nats (with Murph switching teams) that division was never really in doubt even though the Mets were a Wildcard and in 2017 EVERYONE stunk. So, here's hoping the Braves, Mets & Phillies at least keep it interesting until September 15 or so, is that too much to ask??
I cannot recall where I saw it, but some years back someone did a study of post season teams, comparing the success or failure of those which had coasted home by large margins and those teams which had been forced to scrap their way in the final games. It was part of a larger study which was searching for the validity of "momentum" which writers and announcers insist is important.

The study failed to find any evidence that momentum exists in any meaningful way. Teams were no more likely to win or to lose as a consequence of the outcome of the previous game, or series of games. The study could find no advantage in being a playoff team which didn't have to play any truly competitive games coming into the post season, or in being a team which had to fight until the final day of the regular season. The well rested teams performed slightly better, but the study pointed out that the well rested teams were usually better teams than the ones which barely made the playoffs...they should win slightly more often.

Edit....I went searching for the article I read but didn't find it..it might have been in a book..however, I did find a similar study which reaches the same conclusions:
Quote:
In a previous article, I ran the same basic research method looking at how hitters do in a playoff game after their team scores a come-from-behind win in the game before. There’s nothing better for building momentum than a come-from-behind playoff win, right? Except that the next day, hitters were no better (or worse) than we would have otherwise expected.
Many more examples in the article.
https://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/...aseball-061714

Last edited by Grandstander; 06-01-2018 at 12:29 PM..

Old 06-01-2018, 05:40 PM

18,890 posts, read 7,350,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Not too much to ask. NL East is baseball's most improved division overall.

Gonna be fun to watch.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:16 AM

Default 36-27

Swept the awful atrocious Orioles, lost 3 of 4 in Atlanta, swept the Rays in a quick 2 game series and than lost 2 of 3 to the Giants losing both Brandon Kintzler & Stephen Strasburg to the DL this weekend . The interleague portion of their schedule is open us as the next 10 games are AL East opponents, 12 of the next 15 are AL East opponents, and 15 of the next 22 are AL East opponents. After this interleague stretch ends on July 4 they will not see another AL opponent until 2019, or the World Series if they are lucky and fortunate enough to get there. 2 games in the Bronx against the Yankees, 3 in Toronto against the Jays.

Old 06-18-2018, 12:28 PM

Default 37-31

Well, that was a bad week. Split in the Bronx with Juan Soto hitting the go ahead home run to win the only game of the week, and than got swept north of the border against the Jays despite having an 8th inning lead in 2 of the 3 games they lost . They have an 8 game week this week. They play a game and a half tonight against the Yankees: the conclusion of the game on May 15 that was tied 3-3 when the game was suspended and than the game on May 16 that was postponed, 3 against the Orioles, and than 3 against the Phillies.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:36 PM

Default Nats acquire Royals relief pitcher Herrera

In a trade that I called way back at the end of LAST season, the Nats get Kelvin Herrera for 3 minor league level prospects. Not the guy I thought they would trade for as I still believe the Royals should have taken Michael Taylor in the winter instead, but a good trade none-the-less as the Royals are the second worst team in the league, and for a team that doesn't even have 25 wins in the last 3rd of June (and just finished an 8 game home stand 0-8 despite having 5 games against the Reds & Rangers) it makes no sense to have a closer as good as Herrera is rotting & collecting dust on the bullpen mound at Kauffman stadium. I don't see Herrera unseating Doolittle as the closer, but this is the same organization that replaced a closer with a 1.40 ERA, so I guess anything is possible here, but I think Herrera will slot into the 8th inning as Doolittle's set up man replacing Madson who just recently game off the DL and who has struggled this year. With 7th inning man Brandon Kintzler currently on the DL I would look for Madson to fill Kintzler's spot now until Kintzler comes back.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:18 AM

Default 41-35

Split the 2 games with the Yankees winning the conclusion of the suspended game courtesy of another home run from Juan Soto, won 2 of 3 against Baltimore, but lost 2 of 3 to the Phillies. They are in Tampa for 2 games Monday & Tuesday afternoon, a rare mid season non All Star Break version Wednesday off, and than 4 games in Philadelphia to conclude the June portion of the schedule.

Old 07-02-2018, 12:56 PM

Default 42-40

Went 1-6 but only got outscored by 5 runs: Lost 1 game by 11 runs, won their only game this week by 10 runs (-1) and lost the other 4 games by 1 run each. Swept in Tampa, getting outscored at the Orange juice carton 12-0, and than lost 3 of 4 in Philadelphia all 3 by 1 run, and won by 10. 3 games this week against Boston to complete the interleague portion of their schedule (I believe the first team that will complete their interleague schedule this year) Monday to Wednesday, than the Marlins who make their first visit to Nats Park in 2018 Thursday-Sunday.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:54 PM

18,890 posts, read 7,350,115 times
I get the Mets woes. I do not understand Nats woes.

Nats are still in it, but playing nowhere near as well as I would expect.

Why?

Old 07-07-2018, 01:56 PM

3,718 posts, read 4,788,682 times
If we still trade for another SP, who should we get and who should we trade away?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or