U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 05:33 AM

6,981 posts, read 4,471,195 times

Advertisements

There's almost a 'lure' to the Cubs that part of their 'charm' is that they are 'loveable losers'. If the Cubs actually won the WS at some point in the near future, they wouldnt be the 'cubs' if you know what i mean. They would be just a bunch of imposters wearing Cubs uniforms.

The Cubs are loved by their fans and still remain a popular team, its almost like a 'badge of honor' to be a Cubs fan....they dont need to go and ruin that all by actually winning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 09:09 AM

9,072 posts, read 15,078,455 times
The only curse at Clark and Addison has been all the years they have been owned and managed poorly from the top. We'll see if Theo Epstien can turn the organization around, but I do not feel the Rickets are that much better of an ownership group than the Trib was. They want to win, but due to loan obligations to buy the team, and all the money the stadium needs, they are not about to give Theo much room in the budget.

Long term, it hinges on building a quality and consistent farm system... and it always has!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
There's almost a 'lure' to the Cubs that part of their 'charm' is that they are 'loveable losers'. If the Cubs actually won the WS at some point in the near future, they wouldnt be the 'cubs' if you know what i mean. They would be just a bunch of imposters wearing Cubs uniforms.

The Cubs are loved by their fans and still remain a popular team, its almost like a 'badge of honor' to be a Cubs fan....they dont need to go and ruin that all by actually winning.
I have been a die hard Cubs fan my whole life. Sure, there are a number of Cubs fans who stick with the team through anything. However, we would all still be there after a series win too! It's not like we would sit back, say "that's it, we won, it's ruined" and go root for the White Sox.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:46 AM

Hire me as the GM.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:10 PM

223 posts, read 203,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
In one of his Abstracts, Bill James did a study of the impact of introducing night baseball to Wrigley. He discovered that before the lights were installed, the Cubs had a greater tendency to collapse late in the season than did any other club. James concluded that the reason the Cubs played poorly in the final stages was that they were exhausted from having played more day games in the sun than had the other clubs, the reasoning being that a day game took more out of you than did a game played in cooler weather.

In the next year's Abstract James mentioned the article and said that he got a letter from a Cubs fans which read...

"So the reason the Cubs lose is because they play too many day games? I always thought that the reason they lost was because the other clubs had better players."
That may have some small part to play but remember that most teams did not play regular night baseball games until the 50's. By that time the Cubs were going on a half centurey in the leauge without a world series win! And that was in a leauge with almost half the teams there are now.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:16 PM

223 posts, read 203,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
There is no curse. The Cubs have no reason to invest in a quality baseball club. Wrigley Field is the premiere place to be seen and/or get wasted in Chicago. Ownership has no desire or need to build a team that will win. The Cubs are like the Maple Leafs. Your owner and GM can say all they want...they're blowing smoke and laughing their way to the bank.
Yah, I've heard that argument before and I don't buy it either. It's too cynical to be true. Do you really think a GM would go in to an organization saying "hey I know what, let's suck." Come on. And the Cubs have one of the larger payrolls in the leauge for at least a couple decades. That's just an excuse for a hundred plus years of futility. I guess some team out there has to be the poster boy of futility...lucky us.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:35 AM

4,854 posts, read 6,380,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfstorage View Post
Yah, I've heard that argument before and I don't buy it either. It's too cynical to be true. Do you really think a GM would go in to an organization saying "hey I know what, let's suck." Come on. And the Cubs have one of the larger payrolls in the leauge for at least a couple decades. That's just an excuse for a hundred plus years of futility. I guess some team out there has to be the poster boy of futility...lucky us.
It wouldn't shock me a bit. The Cubs are one of the shadiest teams in baseball. They scalp their own tickets. That's just disgraceful.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:24 AM

Bartman holds the key.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:37 AM

5,985 posts, read 3,742,460 times
We're always being told that bad teams are bad because they're in small markets. So all the Cubs need to do is move to a bigger market.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:30 AM

Great point Rigdeman, great point.

Payroll and market dont matter. Angels, Red Sox, Phillies and a few other big market teams didnt even make the playoffs.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:42 AM

40,056 posts, read 30,573,779 times
I'm sure that only Cub fans talk in terms of a curse. Team management can't look at things the same way...so long as the seats at Wrigley are filled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball