U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2012, 01:57 AM

70 posts, read 104,205 times

Advertisements

If you think about it, his remarkable achievement is being criminally underreported.
The media are treating it like a guy going 3 for 4 with 4 RBIs. You know, a nice achievement but happens all the time.

The baseball triple crown is even more difficult than the horse racing one, one of the great accomplishments in American sports. What is behind this? Is it racism? is it because he is a Latino? No. If Pujols or David Ortiz or A-Rod had won this it would be all over the papers.

This is more about the media being suck ups and fanboys to big personalities who make headlines. Miggy is a private type person who I think gives off a somewhat thug vibe despite trying hard to reform (he earned some sort of good citiizen award this year trying to make up for his past indiscretions.)

Anyway, Congradulations to Miguel Cabrera, my favorite player and the best player in Major League Baseball over the past 10 years (besides Pujols minus the last 2 years). You deserve a lot more credit and a lot more coverage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 05:35 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,184,380 times
I don't think the problem is racism...CC Sabathia and Jeter get a lot of media coverage in NY.

-The problem is this era is absurdly tainted due to steroids, performance enhancement drugs. Look what happened to Melky Cabrera, he had a .346 average before getting caught. All the records in this era pretty much have an asterisk by them.

And Detroit isn't a big media market. If he was playing in New York or LA, it'd probably get more attention.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:01 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,323,610 times
The guy is a beast.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:18 AM

4,854 posts, read 6,373,588 times
I think many view winning the Triple Crown as passe. It was an amazing accomplishment when baseball was king. Winning a pennant and going to the World Series was a major accomplishment at one time. Now if you don't win...who cares? A sign of the times, I guess.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:37 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,369,371 times
And there is a huge percentage of baseball fans that recognize the flaws in 2 out of 3 of those categories when it comes to evaluating performance.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:55 AM

13,784 posts, read 23,825,651 times
I think the steroids problem has made many folks skeptical about batting performance.

Relative to historical times, like when Yaz won the triple crown, I think fewer folks follow baseball. Basketball and football are much stronger than back 40+ years ago. Those who do still follow it come from more varied perspectives today, and many "hard core" fans don't value these numbers that much.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:52 AM

1,447 posts, read 2,292,545 times
I think the OP is overstating a little bit...Cabrera has been covered pretty well the last few months. I'm an NL fan and don't really follow the AL much, but I've been hearing a good bit about his chase. You are right it is being slightly underreported, but I think the factors the others have mentioned (baseball being a little less popular than it used to be, questions about the steroid era, playing on a small market team, etc) are the main reasons.

Anyway, it is a fantastic accomplishment! Good for him! It will be interesting to see how the AL MVP race comes out.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:18 AM
YAZ

7,078 posts, read 11,858,846 times
I don't think the Tigers have a small market in Detroit, and when the Tigers come to town here in Phoenix.....Chase Field is packed.

Cabrera just isn't a media darling.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:28 PM

70 posts, read 104,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
I think the OP is overstating a little bit...Cabrera has been covered pretty well the last few months. I'm an NL fan and don't really follow the AL much, but I've been hearing a good bit about his chase. You are right it is being slightly underreported, but I think the factors the others have mentioned (baseball being a little less popular than it used to be, questions about the steroid era, playing on a small market team, etc) are the main reasons.

Anyway, it is a fantastic accomplishment! Good for him! It will be interesting to see how the AL MVP race comes out.
I don't know if I buy the baseball popularity is declining argument. Baseball is still a lot more popular than horse racing and everytime a horse wins the first two races all you read about is the Triple Crown. And the baseball one is harder to win to boot.

I still think it comes down to Cabrera not having a personality that invites media attention. To sumarize, IMHO, his achievement is being more than slightly underreported considering its historic significance. Regardless, great accomplishment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or