U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2012, 06:56 AM

22,548 posts, read 11,610,597 times

Advertisements

The Cardinals/ Braves game was a good one. The one game play-in was a great idea. It punishes teams that do not win their division while providing more excitement in the stretch run. The Cardinals, with Carpenter back, may be ready for another run. Go Cards!

The Braves were set up with a pitcher who "did not lose" and still lost to the better team.

Of course, the Braves are pretty much the Michelle Kwans of baseball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 06:59 AM

5,886 posts, read 4,191,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
LOL. Ok. You look at it THAT way. And I'll look at it the other way. And it'll make no difference.

So, you realize that the playoffs are a 'crap shoot' but are railing against the fact that the best team doesn't always win and it's a crap shoot?

I don't get it.
What about it doesn't make sense? I don't think sports should reward the luckiest team, but the best. There are enough games played over the course of 6 months that each league knows who the best teams are at the end of the year. Those teams should win the pennant and go to the WS. I don't understand your confusion. I don't like the random "crap shoot" aspect of the playoffs.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:00 AM

5,886 posts, read 4,191,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The Cardinals/ Braves game was a good one. The one game play-in was a great idea. It punishes teams that do not win their division while providing more excitement in the stretch run. The Cardinals, with Carpenter back, may be ready for another run. Go Cards!
No it punishes teams that win the WC by 6 games while going 5-1 in the season against the WC runner up. Yay, another 80 win mediocre Cardinal team in the playoffs.

Also, if the point is to "punish" the WC team (even if they finished tied for the 3rd best record in baseball) then why even have a WC? I mean the Braves had 94 wins, we would have won every division in the AL, but we were in the same division as the best team in the NL so we lost our division by 4 games. Yet we won the WC by 6 games. This WC play off game does nothing but punish the WC success and reward mediocrity. The Cards finished 10 games out in their division, 6 games behind the Braves, and lost the season series to ATL 5-1. They shouldn't be in the playoffs.

Last edited by SoCalbound12; 10-07-2012 at 07:08 AM..

Old 10-07-2012, 07:08 AM

22,548 posts, read 11,610,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
No it punishes teams that win the WC by 6 games while going 5-1 in the season against the WC runner up. Yay, another 80 win mediocre Cardinal team in the playoffs.
At least the NL has a chance of winning the World Series with the Cardinals in it.

The Braves will find a way to choke no matter what the playoff system is. They have been doing it for a generation.

Last edited by whogo; 10-07-2012 at 07:24 AM..

Old 10-07-2012, 07:31 AM

12,201 posts, read 10,427,566 times
Verlander took advantage of a large strike zone to put the Tigers up 1-0. The A's hit a couple long fly balls which would've been out in most other parks....hopefully they'll adjust today and not just swing for the fences.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:07 AM

41,079 posts, read 18,589,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Verlander took advantage of a large strike zone to put the Tigers up 1-0. The A's hit a couple long fly balls which would've been out in most other parks....hopefully they'll adjust today and not just swing for the fences.
The A's are where they are because they swung for the fences in the second half of the season, that is the type of offense they are, they strike out an awful lot because they are going for power hits.

I would argue the opposite of your above wish, the A's should not change the approach which has been successful for them up until now because it wasn't successful against Verlander...not many approaches of any kind have been successful against Verlander.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:46 AM

12,201 posts, read 10,427,566 times
Well, my point was more about the configuration of Comerica...those knocks by Donaldson & Moss would've been out at the Coliseum (a pitchers park itself), than Verlander. I suppose you're right, that it's too late to change their approach at this point and it may screw with the heads of a young team, but it doesn't look like the long ball will win it for them until they return to Oakland.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:55 AM

13,293 posts, read 12,802,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Well, my point was more about the configuration of Comerica...those knocks by Donaldson & Moss would've been out at the Coliseum (a pitchers park itself), than Verlander. I suppose you're right, that it's too late to change their approach at this point and it may screw with the heads of a young team, but it doesn't look like the long ball will win it for them until they return to Oakland.
The Tigers combined to score/give up 9.47 runs per game at home and 9.12 on the road.
The Tigers combined to hit/give up 2.05 home runs per game at home and 2.03 on the road.

The A's combined to score/give up 8.26 runs per game at home and 8.68 on the road.
The A's combined to hit/give up 1.59 home runs per game at home and 1.88 on the road.
*source

Comerica plays pretty neutral. About 2% more runs are scored there and an almost identical amount of home runs
At the coliseum, there are 2% less runs and 6% less home runs.

Here's the video of Moss' near homer. You can see that the out is made right to the left of the 365 foot marker. The distance at right field foul line is 330 feet.

In the Coliseum the distance to that spot on the wall is about 367 feet with the foul pole also at 330 feet. Since the walls are at basically the same distance, Oakland's being a bit farther, and the Coliseum being a tougher place to hit home runs (due to the distance of the walls, atmospheric conditions, the batters eye, the mound, etc...) I fail to see how it can be emphatically stated that this would have been a home run in Oakland.

I can't find the data or Video for Donaldson's hit.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
What about it doesn't make sense? I don't think sports should reward the luckiest team, but the best. There are enough games played over the course of 6 months that each league knows who the best teams are at the end of the year. Those teams should win the pennant and go to the WS. I don't understand your confusion. I don't like the random "crap shoot" aspect of the playoffs.
Any playoff is going to be a crap shoot. After 162 games the top winning teams are usually separated by 5 or so games. Take the AL East. Are you sure the Yankees are better than the Orioles because they 1 more game out of 162? How about the AL West where the Rangers and A's were tied. What decides that division? A one-game playoff. That's a crap shoot, my friend. Are you then sure that the better team won the 1 game playoff? Of course not.

Then there's the issue that teams change during the course of the season. Player move onto and off of rosters. There are injuries.

Regular season performance gives us an idea who the best teams are, but we can't say for certain. Who is the best team in 2012? We have a group of team for which their can be made an argument. In some years that group will be bigger, in some years it will be smaller. This season, in the AL there were some very good teams who were left out of the playoffs - Tampa and Anaheim. It's hard to say the Tigers were definitively better than the White Sox as well. No playoff system is going to be perfect.

As I stated earlier, people need to give up on this idea that the playoffs decides who the best team was. Playoffs allow the best teams the opportunity to play for a championship.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:44 PM

Fun back and forth game in Detroit

The Oakland A's OF of Cespedes, Reddick and Covelli Crisp figure prominently.

First 36 outs. 2 runs

Last 9 outs. 5 runs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball