U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-17-2012, 03:20 AM
 
Location: Front Range of Colorado
1,635 posts, read 2,199,302 times
Reputation: 660

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
If I was A-Rod I wouldn't play at all in Game 4
He hasn't "played" in a game in quite some time. He's done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-17-2012, 07:04 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn,NY
1,961 posts, read 4,306,069 times
Reputation: 1190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
You are one of the few that feel this way (in reference to your first comment). Anyways, as I stated before, I don't think this series is over.
You're like the only one that thinks it's not over. The majority of Yankee fans gave up already lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2012, 12:13 PM
 
Location: NJ
804 posts, read 1,380,031 times
Reputation: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_coli View Post
LOL! Baghdad bob becomes a baseball fan.

Seriously, it's over. Yanks can't score - end of story. They've gone into the 9th inning of every game in this series scoreless. Not a thing goin' for them.
I'm just saying that I got a feeling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2012, 12:16 PM
 
Location: NJ
804 posts, read 1,380,031 times
Reputation: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
You're like the only one that thinks it's not over. The majority of Yankee fans gave up already lol
A majority of Yankees fans gave up when we lost the lead in the division. A majority of fans gave up when we lost game 2 against the orioles. I know this is a huge difference in terms of probability but the Yankees have the propensity to comeback when very few people expect them to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2012, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
13,293 posts, read 12,807,499 times
Reputation: 6637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
the Yankees have the propensity to comeback when very few people expect them to.
Evidence to support your claim?

On 19 occasions the Yankees won 4 consecutive games this season. The Yankees played 159 sets of 4 games. 19/159 = 11.9%

While I don't expect the Yankees to come back and beat the Tigers I certainly don't think that it is impossible. In fact, I'd expect it happen around 1 out of every 10 times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2012, 01:59 PM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
41,143 posts, read 18,604,845 times
Reputation: 18746
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post

On 19 occasions the Yankees won 4 consecutive games this season. The Yankees played 159 sets of 4 games. 19/159 = 11.9%

.
159 sets of four games would be 636 games. How come they only allowed the public in for 162 of them?

Well I suppose you mean Games One through Four was a set, Games Two through Five was a set and so forth...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2012, 02:07 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,336,032 times
Reputation: 36088
If they Yankees lose, I'll sure be pist that I wasted all that anger every time they won in September.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2012, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
41,143 posts, read 18,604,845 times
Reputation: 18746
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If they Yankees lose, I'll sure be pist that I wasted all that anger every time they won in September.
Isn't all anger over sports outcomes a waste?

Or are you saying that you had some productive use for that anger and instead it went to uselessly toward Yankee wins and now is no longer available for those better purposes? If so, I have some extra summer anger left over which I didn't get around to using, would you like to borrow it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2012, 03:38 PM
 
Location: NJ
804 posts, read 1,380,031 times
Reputation: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
159 sets of four games would be 636 games. How come they only allowed the public in for 162 of them?

Well I suppose you mean Games One through Four was a set, Games Two through Five was a set and so forth...
Then how do you get 159? I'm sorry to be ignorant but I don't understand how you can derive 159 sets of 4 games.

Also, to filihok, my claim is not based off of evidence. This team all year long has come back when people don't really expect them to. Who would predict the Yankees to score 4 runs in the 9th of game 1 after their bats were non-existent for most of the O's series and all of game 1? You could also look at the significant injuries ranging from Rivera to Pettite that the Yanks had to overcome. I don't know what it is, but this Yankees team is just weird. They lose when you expect them to win (case in point- game 1 of this ALCS after Ibanez tied it) and they find ways to win when you least expect it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2012, 03:56 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
13,293 posts, read 12,807,499 times
Reputation: 6637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
Then how do you get 159? I'm sorry to be ignorant but I don't understand how you can derive 159 sets of 4 games.
Just as Grandstander explained
Game 1 to Game 4 = 1 set
Game 2 to Game 5 = 2 sets
Game 3 to Game 6 = 3 sets
etc...



Quote:
Also, to filihok, my claim is not based off of evidence.
Then I have no reason to believe it.

Quote:
This team all year long has come back when people don't really expect them to. Who would predict the Yankees to score 4 runs in the 9th of game 1 after their bats were non-existent for most of the O's series and all of game 1?

I don't know what it is, but this Yankees team is just weird. They lose when you expect them to win (case in point- game 1 of this ALCS after Ibanez tied it) and they find ways to win when you least expect it.
Few people, because that is highly unlikely. Not impossible though.
However, the Yankees aren't the only team to ever come back from a four run deficit in the ninth. Gives me a perfect opportunity to reminisce about this.

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | SD@LAD: Dodgers tie game with four straight homers - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

If you say that the Yankees have propensity to do something then you need to show that the Yankees do it more often than would be expected.

Sometimes crazy things happen in baseball. Don't blow them out of proportion.

Quote:
You could also look at the significant injuries ranging from Rivera to Pettite that the Yanks had to overcome.
Every team has injuries
Tigers lost Victor Martinez for the season.
Cardinals lost Chris Carpenter for most of the season. Same with Lance Berkman. Rafael Furcal.
Giants were without their closer Brian Wilson. The Melky suspension.

Fans tend to get tunnel vision regarding their own teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top