U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-20-2012, 09:17 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
5,886 posts, read 4,188,219 times
Reputation: 4161

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
NorthGAbound






You will need to explain how having no post season at all is harder than having one.





Gee, do you not think so? Don't most ML seasons finish with the teams in more or less the same order as they stood after the first six games?


I meant 6 games against each team you know like I mentioned in the rest of the post about them playing a total of 174 games....?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-20-2012, 09:21 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
5,886 posts, read 4,188,219 times
Reputation: 4161
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
So if a team has a bad game on opening day and loses the division by a single game that's an acceptable way for a team to be eliminated from the post season, but if a team loses a single game in October it's unacceptable?

Why is that?
.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2012, 09:25 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
5,886 posts, read 4,188,219 times
Reputation: 4161
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I'm a Cards fan, but truthfully, it's hard to disagree with you with regard to the Cardinals vis a vis the Braves. I don't think the Braves should have been in a position where one bad game could have cost them their entire season of work, which it did in this case, unfortunately. I think the fundamental flaw with this year's wild-card format is that a team can be eliminated in one game, which doesn't make sense unless the two teams are statistically tied going into the final game. Clearly, the single-game playoff is a result borne out of Bud Selig's thirst for money.

Despite these obvious flaws, though, there is an argument to be made for a wildcard team or even two. I'm not defending this current format, but the format in year's past was okay, in my view. I do wish that all playoff series would go to a best-of-seven format like the NBA does, rather than just a 3 of 5 series. Again, a short series makes it easier for upsets to occur, which the league likes, I'm sure, but it's not good for the competitive purity of the game.

All of that being said, Atlanta can't make excuses. They had the pitcher that they wanted on the mound, and they had a healthy lineup just like St. Louis did. People are going to moan about the infield fly call for years, but St. Louis was winning that game and they probably would have won it anyway. Let's face it, the Braves have never been clutch in the big games.
To be completely honest...10 years from now I won't look back at that game and think "damn infield fly!" I'll look back and curse Bud Selig's name because that game even existed. My beef isn't with St. Louis, the umps, or anything like that. I blame that loss on Bud Selig. That game should have never existed. Some posters here can't seem to wrap their heads around a meaningful regular season but in my opinion the regular season should mean something. The more play off slots you add the more you water down your regular season. Look at basketball and hockey. Too many teams make the postseason so a lot of hockey and basketball fans don't really tune in until the final week of the season because everything else is irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2012, 09:30 PM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
40,898 posts, read 18,562,052 times
Reputation: 18665
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post

I meant 6 games against each team you know like I mentioned in the rest of the post about them playing a total of 174 games....?

I'm disinclined to be impressed when someone substitutes cute emotions for a substantive answer.

I have explained to you why the concept of some utterly fair post season structure is an impossibility. At this point you grasp this or you do not. I'm uninterested in your graphic stunts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2012, 10:15 PM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,608,124 times
Reputation: 3225
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Yes. The only MLB stats we have on Lynn as a starter.
you could try using the stats in the two Giants games, and you could also take into account Lynn's starts in August and September, which matter more than overall season averages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2012, 10:18 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
13,293 posts, read 12,792,591 times
Reputation: 6636
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
you could try using the stats in the two Giants games, and you could also take into account Lynn's starts in August and September, which matter more than overall season averages.
Nope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Oh. I'm sorry. What stats are you using?
Your turn. You made the claim. Support it with evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2012, 10:20 AM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,608,124 times
Reputation: 3225
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Nope.

Your turn. You made the claim. Support it with evidence.
Uh, he's been taken out of the 4th inning in both games. There's your evidence. Your turn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2012, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
13,293 posts, read 12,792,591 times
Reputation: 6636
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Uh, he's been taken out of the 4th inning in both games. There's your evidence. Your turn.
Did you go to college, or high school? Did you ever have to write a paper in which you had to support your assertions with evidence? That is an important skill to learn. This would be an appropriate time to utilize it.

The 'evidence' that you provided in no way supports your claim that
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Lance Lynn is not really a bona fide starter yet. He throws heat, but he has no other pitches, so once a team goes through the order, he's pretty easy to figure out.
All you evidence shows is that L̶y̶n̶n̶ ̶h̶a̶d̶ ̶t̶w̶o̶ ̶p̶o̶o̶r̶ ̶g̶a̶m̶e̶s̶ the manager decided to replace Lynn in the 4th inning of two consecutive games.

Try again.

Last edited by filihok; 10-21-2012 at 11:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2012, 12:01 PM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,608,124 times
Reputation: 3225
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Did you go to college, or high school? Did you ever have to write a paper in which you had to support your assertions with evidence? That is an important skill to learn. This would be an appropriate time to utilize it.

The 'evidence' that you provided in no way supports your claim that
Uh, when a starting pitcher throws three shutout innings but then gets shelled in the 4th inning, that supports the claim pretty well, I think. Obviously, I can't make you accept it, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
All you evidence shows is that L̶y̶n̶n̶ ̶h̶a̶d̶ ̶t̶w̶o̶ ̶p̶o̶o̶r̶ ̶g̶a̶m̶e̶s̶ the manager decided to replace Lynn in the 4th inning of two consecutive games.
In both games, he was pitching a scoreless game through three innings -- and then got touched for four runs in both games. He's a straight fastball pitcher. Once the lineup catches up to his fastball, it's over for Lynn. The evidence shows it pretty clearly, but again, I can't make you accept it. You're free to belief whatever you wish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2012, 12:15 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
13,293 posts, read 12,792,591 times
Reputation: 6636
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Uh, when a starting pitcher throws three shutout innings but then gets shelled in the 4th inning, that supports the claim pretty well, I think. Obviously, I can't make you accept it, though.

In both games, he was pitching a scoreless game through three innings -- and then got touched for four runs in both games. He's a straight fastball pitcher. Once the lineup catches up to his fastball, it's over for Lynn. The evidence shows it pretty clearly, but again, I can't make you accept it. You're free to belief whatever you wish.
Selection bias. Since he was removed he wasn't allowed to pitch any more innings. If he had pitched another 3 or 4 shut out innings then his overall line wouldn't have appeared so poor.

You can't make me accept it because you provided no evidence to support you claim. If the evidence suggests that Lynn struggles more than the average pitcher when facing the lineup multiple times I will believe it. So for the evidence does not support that.

In your original post you not only pointed out that Lynn had poor results in the 4th inning but also offered an explanation as to why.

You need some evidence to support your reasoning.

I'm not sure what you mean by a 'straight fastball' pitcher
In his October 14th start he threw 85 pitches of which 71 were fastballs.
In his Oct 19th start Lynn threw 66 pitches. 36 were classified as fastballs.

In the two starts Lynn threw 71% fastballs. It is certainly interesting that he threw so many fewer fastballs in the second game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top