U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 12:16 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,611,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I do get it. I won't bother explaining to you why a game in October is not really different from a game in April.
In the situation you referred to, in which two teams are tied at the end of the season, the final game of the year is still part of the regular season, or in the case where they end the regular season tied and play into the playoffs, they're playing one extra game in a continuation of the regular season. There's no controversy there. The winner of that final game had a better regular season than the loser. In that situation, they're playing in a game that is being used in the entire set of criteria that determines qualifications for the playoffs.

This year's playoff format, however, was completely different. The regular season was completed and the Braves had a better record than the Cardinals did, by more than five games, in fact. Yet, they played in a single game that was already determined to end the season of whichever team lost, which happened to be Atlanta in this case. The Braves were short-changed in that they played better than St. Louis during the season, and yet needed to be defeated only once by a team that had played comparatively less well. That is the way it works in football, because it's impractical to play more than once in the postseason; however, that is not typically how postseason match-ups are determined in baseball and basketball (how they do this night in and night out in hockey I'll never know...some real badarses in that sport).

More to the point, it fundamentally undermines the long-established principle that baseball competition (especially in the playoffs) should be used to compare the entire strength of one baseball team versus that of a competitor, which means that a team should be able to test the strength of their pitching rotations, something that Atlanta was unable to do this time. We know that St. Louis could beat Atlanta in one game, but not in three out of five or four out of seven. Thus, we don't really know which team is more deserving of postseason play, and we never will. I'm writing this as a Cardinals fan, no less. I'm glad we won it, but objectively speaking, Atlanta got screwed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 12:28 PM

518 posts, read 341,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I'd love to see a Detroit/St. Louis World Series. The mainstream sports media would probably get lost on the way to either city.
It's not going to happen. It's going to be SF against Detroit. The Cardinals are going to blow a 3-1, just like they did in 1985 against the Royals. I think the Giants are much like the Kansas City Royals that year, with so many pitching weapons to choose from.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:37 PM

5,985 posts, read 3,739,366 times
Hello, everyone. I'm back from a 5-day vacation where they took away my gall bladder but sent me home with 5 bottles of pills. I missed most of last week's games but returned in time to watch Detroit beat whoever.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:07 PM

41,113 posts, read 18,595,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Hello, everyone. I'm back from a 5-day vacation where they took away my gall bladder.
You were warned about vacationing in a hospital.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:56 PM

Vogelsong on a pace to strikeout 27 Cardinals...and walk 9.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:25 PM

13,293 posts, read 12,804,089 times

Old 10-21-2012, 06:53 PM

12,201 posts, read 10,429,763 times
I guess I'll be rooting for Detroit in the Series...

Old 10-21-2012, 07:16 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,325,418 times
Since 1975, there have been 20 series that have gone the full seven games. Fifteen of the 20 were won by the team that won Game 6.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:28 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,345,998 times
The Cards are done. Once you fail the close out a series at home in Game 5 you are in trouble

Old 10-21-2012, 08:44 PM

This was the fifth Giants post season game I started watching without knowing if it would be the last I saw them play in '12. Danged if they haven't come through every time.

While it is exciting that SF has forced a game seven, the games in this series have not been especially memorable affairs. Four of the six have been one sided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball