Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2012, 07:35 AM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Maybe next year to make things even more "exciting" and "dramatic" we should have all the division winners play all the division runner ups. All the winners get the division and the losers play out in a round robin tournament for a chance to play the team that finished second in the WC race in a one game playoff. It's not like we play 162 times a season to decide who are the four best teams in each league...

Hell why stop there? Lets scrap the regular season, since winning 94 games doesn't seem to matter, and just have a home run derby, and the team that accumulates the most HRs at the end of the season wins. Of course winning it doesn't matter anyway since having the most of anything doesn't matter in baseball. After the season long HR derby we'll have all the divisional teams play a tourney to determine seeding for the actual tourney to determine who goes to the playoffs...
Less than 20 years ago it wasn't the "four best teams in each league", but two. Remember when the Braves beat the Giants out for the division in 1993, after SF won 103 games?
By your own logic, we shouldn't even have divisions, or leagues for that matter. Just let the two teams with the best records play in the World Series. Or for that matter, whoever has the best regular-season record is automatically champion. That way, teams who play in a weaker division beating up on the Astros and Marlins of the league to fatten their W-L records won't be rewarded with an automatic postseason berth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 07:41 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The Braves had already done everything necessary to earn the Wild Card, of which there is only one. .
Did you not hear? Now there are two, they changed the rules for this season. You must have been massively confused by those games yesterday.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:46 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,978,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Now there are two wild cards.

Do you think providing a product with the intent of extracting more money from the masses to redistribute to a few comparatively more wealthy individuals is "slimy"?

How'd it punish the team with the 3rd best record in baseball?
If not for the wild card they would not have made the playoffs

I think the ball was too far into the outfield for that to have happened.

This, I don't mind. It'd certainly make popups more exciting.

Seems like a lot of people aren't a fan of playoffs. Sometimes in a playoff series, be that series, 1, 3, 5 or 7 games, the team with less regular season wins will win.

Would you be happier to do away with leagues and divisions, and playoffs, and the World Series? All 30 teams could play a balanced schedule of 180 games against each other with the team winning the most games being the champion. No chance for any of these types of 'injustices' where a team with less regular season wins beats a team with more wins.
Actually I'd be VERY comfortable with that. Yes I know Atlanta wouldn't have made it this year but that's fine. I'd even be fine with keeping the Leagues separate and having the top teams from each league play in the WS in a seven game series. In a seven game series, "injustices" (as you put it) can still happen but over 7 games that will even out. I'm not a fan of play offs in sports like baseball where you already play so many darn games and play everyone in your league at least 6 times.

Unlike Bud Selig and MLB, I don't like playoffs just for the sake of playoffs...that's stupid. We were 5-1 against St. Louis this year and finished comfortably ahead of them in the WC race, by every measure we should have not had to play that game. If we were going to have this silly WC play in it should have at least been a 3 game series. You play for 6 months and 162 games to determine the top 4 teams in each league...a one game play off is unfathomable. I wouldn't have wanted it last year (when it would have worked to Atlanta's favor) I didn't want it this year, I don't want it next year, I just plain don't like that game at all.

St. Louis continually proves that the whole regular season is meaningless. They won the WS in 2006 after winning what...87 games in the regular season. They won last year after winning 89 games, and this year they won 88 games and are in the play offs. Why bust your tail all year when you can coast in have just as good of a shot of winning a championship as the team that won 10 more games than you? I mean the baseball playoffs already don't make sense but this WC game just added another layer of BS.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Less than 20 years ago it wasn't the "four best teams in each league", but two. Remember when the Braves beat the Giants out for the division in 1993, after SF won 103 games?
By your own logic, we shouldn't even have divisions, or leagues for that matter. Just let the two teams with the best records play in the World Series. Or for that matter, whoever has the best regular-season record is automatically champion. That way, teams who play in a weaker division beating up on the Astros and Marlins of the league to fatten their W-L records won't be rewarded with an automatic postseason berth.
And yes I'm comfortable with that. That is my logic. Teams play 162 games! That's a lot of games and so over the course of the season we all have an idea who the best teams are...and the play offs are supposed to be the best teams playing it out.

Here's what I would do if I was Bud Selig. Do away with divisions but keep the NL and the AL. There are (going to be starting next year) 15 teams in each league. Have each team play every other team in their league 12 times for a schedule of 168 games. The team with the best record in each league plays in a seven game World Series to determine the champion. That way no more 80something win Cardinals teams can win championships and be declared the "best team" in baseball.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:04 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,979 times
Quote:
Actually I'd be VERY comfortable with that. Yes I know Atlanta wouldn't have made it this year but that's fine. I'd even be fine with keeping the Leagues separate and having the top teams from each league play in the WS in a seven game series. In a seven game series, "injustices" (as you put it) can still happen but over 7 games that will even out. I'm not a fan of play offs in sports like baseball where you already play so many darn games and play everyone in your league at least 6 times.

Unlike Bud Selig and MLB, I don't like playoffs just for the sake of playoffs...that's stupid. We were 5-1 against St. Louis this year and finished comfortably ahead of them in the WC race, by every measure we should have not had to play that game. If we were going to have this silly WC play in it should have at least been a 3 game series. You play for 6 months and 162 games to determine the top 4 teams in each league...a one game play off is unfathomable. I wouldn't have wanted it last year (when it would have worked to Atlanta's favor) I didn't want it this year, I don't want it next year, I just plain don't like that game at all.

St. Louis continually proves that the whole regular season is meaningless. They won the WS in 2006 after winning what...87 games in the regular season. They won last year after winning 89 games, and this year they won 88 games and are in the play offs. Why bust your tail all year when you can coast in have just as good of a shot of winning a championship as the team that won 10 more games than you? I mean the baseball playoffs already don't make sense but this WC game just added another layer of BS.
Quote:
And yes I'm comfortable with that. That is my logic. Teams play 162 games! That's a lot of games and so over the course of the season we all have an idea who the best teams are...and the play offs are supposed to be the best teams playing it out.

Here's what I would do if I was Bud Selig. Do away with divisions but keep the NL and the AL. There are (going to be starting next year) 15 teams in each league. Have each team play every other team in their league 12 times for a schedule of 168 games. The team with the best record in each league plays in a seven game World Series to determine the champion. That way no more 80something win Cardinals teams can win championships and be declared the "best team" in baseball.
Ahh...another one of these baseball fans that think there is too much baseball. Never understood that.

The playoffs make A LOT of money. MLB is not going to reduce the number of teams in the playoffs or the number of playoff games.

Also, if you'd get over the idea that the World Series winner is the best team in baseball you might relieve yourself of some cognitive dissonance. The winner of MLB's post season tournament is the World Series champion. That has very little to do with who is the best team.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:11 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Now there are two wild cards.
No there aren't, there is only one. But two teams get a single shot at assuming the wild card position in the playoffs, on a level field against the three division winners, best 3 out of 5. They playoffs begin Saturday, with four teams in each league, one of them is a wild card, which was chosen Friday.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:19 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,979 times
Quote:
No there aren't, there is only one. But two teams get a single shot at assuming the wild card position in the playoffs, on a level field against the three division winners, best 3 out of 5. They playoffs begin Saturday, with four teams in each league, one of them is a wild card, which was chosen Friday.
You are not correct.

There were two wild card games played yesterday
2012 Postseason | MLB.com: Schedule

Texas and Baltimore clinched wild card playoff births in the AL while St. Louis and Atlanta clinched wild card births in the NL.
MLB Wild Card Standings
Quote:
The top two Wild Card teams from each league make the postseason and play each other in a one-game playoff.

Last edited by filihok; 10-06-2012 at 08:39 AM..

Old 10-06-2012, 09:08 AM

922 posts, read 1,697,900 times
Quote:
They playoffs begin Saturday, with four teams in each league, one of them is a wild card, which was chosen Friday.
Yeah, The games last night were really just play-in games for one of two teams to advance to the playoffs.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Ahh...another one of these baseball fans that think there is too much baseball. Never understood that.

The playoffs make A LOT of money. MLB is not going to reduce the number of teams in the playoffs or the number of playoff games.

Also, if you'd get over the idea that the World Series winner is the best team in baseball you might relieve yourself of some cognitive dissonance. The winner of MLB's post season tournament is the World Series champion. That has very little to do with who is the best team.
No it's just not fair. Why play 162 games if you're going to just have a crap shoot between 8 teams at the end of the year to determine the champion? And if the champion is not the best team than it's a sham. I know that the best team doesn't always win but that's the perception. These 87 win sham WC teams that get randomly hot at the end of the year are celebrated while 100 win teams that were in every objective standard better are soon forgotten. It's all a joke.

The WC "play in" is a sham and an injustice. It randomly worked out perfectly in the AL but the Rangers and the Orioles would have played that game anyway. In the NL that was a joke. We played a season series against St. Louis and won it 5-1. We won 94 games and finished 6 games ahead of them. A random coin flip game where a throwing error and a botched call can erase 162 games of good baseball is bogus.

I don't have a problem with the playoffs because it's "too much baseball" (whatever the hell that means) I have a problem with it because it's completely unfair and renders the regular season almost completely meaningless. I mean why don't we just play 50 regular season games and then an "exciting" and "dramatic" postseason where all 30 teams make it and start playing knock off "playoff" series after that? Because it's absurd that's why and it's absurd that an 83(!!) win Cardinal team that had the 5th best record in the NL and the 13th best record() in MLB can get crowned "Champion." (2006)

Billy Beane said it best when he said you can't plan for the playoffs because it's all random. Some good A's teams that were built to win 95+ games but couldn't handle the arbitrary and random nature of the playoffs got knocked out early by potentially lesser teams. The playoffs are a crap shoot.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:30 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
You are not correct.

There were two wild card games played yesterday
2012 Postseason | MLB.com: Schedule

Texas and Baltimore clinched wild card playoff births in the AL while St. Louis and Atlanta clinched wild card births in the NL.
MLB Wild Card Standings
The press releases from MLB do not reflect reality, they have only worded them in a way calculated to suck you in. The games played on Friday were an additional round of play, whose sole purpose was to determine which team (singular) would advance to compete against the division winners in a fair and balanced playoff series. What they called the "wild card playoff births" were the teams eligible to compete, in a supplemental special series, to determine the ONE wild card team that actually goes to the league playoffs. Those four teams winning those "births" did not advance to the playoff rounds until their numbers were reduced to one in each league, the number of spots for wild cards in each league's playoffs. The playoff start Saturday, with a bracket of teams, all with records of 0-0. The games played Friday have no effect whatsoever on the playoffs, except to determine which teams are now qualified to be placed in the playoff brackets. They are called "wild card births" only because the participants in those games, through elimination, will yield the team that merits the wild card slot (singular) in the playff bracket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball