Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2012, 08:08 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,376,536 times

Advertisements

This is the first time I ever rooted against any team, but I'm glad the Nationals are done. No matter how you want to spin it, not having Strasburg available in an elimination game proves that the management is not totally committed to winning. I hope their players consider this when they reach free agency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 08:18 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,295,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
This is the first time I ever rooted against any team, but I'm glad the Nationals are done. No matter how you want to spin it, not having Strasburg available in an elimination game proves that the management is not totally committed to winning. I hope their players consider this when they reach free agency.
You are correct. The Nationals put Strasburg's long-term health before winning. Strasburg's health is directly related to his long-term ability to make money.

Instead of saying, "we're going to use you up like a machine we are going to approach this in a more forward thinking way". I'd think that plenty of players would want to play for an organization that feels this way.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
You are correct. The Nationals put Strasburg's long-term health before winning. Strasburg's health is directly related to his long-term ability to make money.

Instead of saying, "we're going to use you up like a machine we are going to approach this in a more forward thinking way". I'd think that plenty of players would want to play for an organization that feels this way.
What you say is true IF Strasburg has a health problem.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:29 AM

The Yanks' team ERA in the LDS was 1.76, and against a pretty good offense.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:41 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,230 times
Quote:
I don't think Strasburg would've made that much of a difference. Here's why:

1) His replacement (Detwiler) kept the Nats in it for a Werth walk off HR in game 4. Assuming that Strasburg would have been a game 1/5 starter, that means that Jackson would've most likely started game 4. Would the results have been any better?
2) Assuming Strasburg would be a possible Game 5 starter, he's never pitched a complete game before, and would've been pulled at around the 7th-8th inning mark, forcing reliance on the Nats bullpen anyways.
3) Strasburg couldn't have made that much of a difference in how cold the Nats offense was running the whole series. All the games that STL won, save game 5, were in complete blowouts. All the games the Nats won were 1 run games. Sooner or later, STL was going to explode offensively.

Anyways, we're speaking in hypotheticals here. Just my own thoughts.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:44 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,484,456 times
Quote:

It's not a perfect science, and ultimately their innings cap was kinda arbitrary, well researched, but, still in a sense arbitrary. Lets it act like his career was guaranteed to be shorter if he had thrown 5 more games this year.

I can also guarantee he wanted to pitch in the post season this year. I doubt he was sitting at home glad he wasn't there.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Yankees/Orioles winner will have 5 consecutive games. Most playoff teams only carry 4 starters.

Interesting to see how this'll be dealt with.

October 7: Hammel 112 pitches, Sabatiha 120
October 8: Chen 112 pitches, Pettite 98

October 10: Gonzalez 99 pitches, Kuroda 105
October 11: Saunders 99 pitches, Hughes 95
October 12: Hammels will start for the Orioles and Sabathia will start for the Yankees
October 13: Chen or Pettite on 4 days' rest
October 14: Gonzalez or Kuroda on 3 days rest? Yanks could call up Nova, but then they'd have 2 starters on the roster only pitching 1 of 7 games. Yanks could start Phelps but he threw 27 pitches tonight and wouldn't be available in relief the rest of the series. Orioles could add Arrieta, Tillman or Steve Johnson to the roster.

This could give the Tigers a distinct advantage in the series.
Ivan Nova not added to the Yanks' roster. Looks like Kuroda on short rest or Phelps in game 2.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
What you say is true IF Strasburg has a health problem.
He has a leg ligament in his arm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
It's not a perfect science, and ultimately their innings cap was kinda arbitrary, well researched, but, still in a sense arbitrary. Lets it act like his career was guaranteed to be shorter if he had thrown 5 more games this year.

I can also guarantee he wanted to pitch in the post season this year. I doubt he was sitting at home glad he wasn't there.
Fair points. We don't know.

What we do know, is that the Nats' intent was attempt to ensure Stras' health going forward. Not sure why a potential free agent would be off put by that.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:53 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,211,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Another DUMB MOMENT for TBSS

One of the announcers said this after the game ended......."There is no reason for a Nats Fan to hang their heads"

Really? The saw their team lead 6-0 and felt they were going to the NLCS and they lose but shouldn't hang their head? This is why TBS shouldn't air baseball

I don't know why you're so hung up on the coverage. TBS is doing just fine...graphics and analysis.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:56 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,211,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
I have to say how impressed I was by the pitching of both the Yankees and the Orioles in this series. Except for the 9th inning of Game 1, the pitching on both sides was utterly brilliant.

Even though I cheered for the Yankees, I feel bad for the Orioles. They were very worthy opponents. I do believe the Yankees are the better team, but the Orioles were tremendous. They wouldn't give up.
Agreed. The Oriloes had more heart. The Yankees really just scraped by. The championship will be exciting. How in the world are they going to handle Verlander considering how crappy their offense has been? Overall, Detroit is going to be tough to beat, but who knows what'll happen. Good baseball all-around this post-season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball