U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 10:46 AM

40,892 posts, read 18,562,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
What you can do is look at the odds of a team scoring when the first batter is out versus the first batter reaching base and estimate the probability of that call costing the Cardinals the Series. It was an atrocious call...the play was not even close. After 27 years i am kinda glad now, George Brett and the Royals, got a ring, but it was an atrocious call that should not be minimized. Players that make errors get donged (i.e. Bill Buckner) so should umps. Buckner's error only increased the odds of the Red Sox losing the Series.
It need not be minimized nor maximized. It was one play, it was one piece of bad luck for St. Louis.

My objection was to the idea that this one particular play was somehow or other THE decisive play of the entire series, as was asserted by jtur. He wrote:
Quote:
The Cardinals lost a World Series on a worse call than that by Don Denkinger in 1985
...and that is false. The Cardinals lost one out in a seven game contest to the Denkinger call. They lost the WS due to multiple chain of events spread out over seven games.

If one has a wooden platform and begins stacking bricks upon it, and it collapses when the 115th brick is added, it collapsed because of the weight of 115 bricks, not because of the weight of the 115th brick. jtur's assertion is equal to claiming that the platform was destroyed only because of that 115th brick, while ignoring the other 114.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 05:50 PM

46,850 posts, read 37,012,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Boo to all those fans who threw cans and bottles onto the field tonight. There's no excuse for that, no matter how frustrated you are by a call.
I say, "Double-boo!" It was a classless thing to do, no matter the situation. Things like that just cause unnecessary delays.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:56 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,293,177 times
I know a lot of Philly fans was wondering why the national media ignored the Fans throwing bottles in Atlanta and I had to explain to them it was because the Atlanta fans have no reputation.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:57 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,293,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
I say, "Double-boo!" It was a classless thing to do, no matter the situation. Things like that just cause unnecessary delays.
In Philly, that's called showing PASSION LOL

Old 10-09-2012, 11:38 PM

6,981 posts, read 4,456,050 times
I have to say that part of me accepts throwing litter on the field. Its unacceptable that this ump got this call wrong and to those people who say 'its just a game' its not just a game to some, its their LIFE. Some fans actually are MORE than fans, they're part of the family. Get the call right and you wont have to deal with the field being littered. There are plenty of borderline calls in sports where fans dont litter the field. Major League baseball needs a full replay system, they need to be able to 'go back' and review this play over again and change the call. The most important thing is to GET IT RIGHT.

Do you think Orioles fans are happy that there was no replay system in 1996 and that the idea that MLB is going to permit the umps to be 'human' so it doesnt slow down the game? Do you think some of those O's fans have ever forgotten 1996 and have gotten over it? No, there's still an open wound to this day, 16 years later.

Are you going to tell an O's fan that he should be able to easily forget that play 16 years ago because of the 5 minutes they saved by not having to 'go to the replay'? We are talking about a LIFE CHANGING moment that isnt altered because MLB wants to 'speed up the games' and not have replay bogging down the game.

They have to get the calls right, even if it takes all night.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:38 AM

3,982 posts, read 5,762,555 times
Eh... it was a bad call for sure, but it's hardly the reason that they lost. If I was a fan, I'd be chucking a bottle more because of the Braves' defense than because of a bad IFR call. The 3 runs given away on 3 errors cost the Braves far more than the bad call even potentially took away. It was 6-3 at the time. Banking on even 2 runs out of that situation is fairly presumptuous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or