Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 10:50 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I don't think the fans should be criticized because they paid their money and saw their team get hosed
I'm not criticizing them for paying money and watching their team get hosed.

I'm criticizing them for throwing a temper tantrum like a 5 year old and endangering people's lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 10:52 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I'm not criticizing them for paying money and watching their team get hosed.

I'm criticizing them for throwing a temper tantrum like a 5 year old and endangering people's lives.

What happened in Atlanta tonight is the norm in any sport when a team's chances to win is stopped by a ref or umpire

Old 10-05-2012, 10:54 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
What happened in Atlanta tonight is the norm in any sport when a team's chances to win is stopped by a ref or umpire
Maybe that's true. Maybe it isn't.

Regardless it is childish and dangerous behavior.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:55 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Maybe that's true. Maybe it isn't.

Regardless it is childish and dangerous behavior.

Yes I seen it in philly many of times

Old 10-05-2012, 11:15 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,748 times
Quote:
Not sure if you were watching a Braves game in the park because the call was very late. Do you think fans were throwing bottles for nothing?

The infield fly rule is a judgement call. The people that are charged with making that judgement decided it was a good call.

People sitting at home or in the stands have no say in the matter.

If I were the refs I woulda given the game to the Cardinals after a few minutes of the bottle throwing.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:24 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,748 times
Chipper Jones acknowledged that the Braves couldn't pin their woes on the call. "Ultimately when I think we look back on this, we need to look into a mirror," he said. Even down three runs, the Braves brought the tying run to the plate in the seventh, eighth and ninth innings, and couldn't score in any of those situations.

The Braves got no one to blame but themselves. 3 chances to tie the game and couldn't do it. Plus fielding errors that led to Cardinal runs.

But I guess Brave fans need someone to blame for their teams incompetence.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:43 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Chipper Jones acknowledged that the Braves couldn't pin their woes on the call. "Ultimately when I think we look back on this, we need to look into a mirror," he said. Even down three runs, the Braves brought the tying run to the plate in the seventh, eighth and ninth innings, and couldn't score in any of those situations.

The Braves got no one to blame but themselves. 3 chances to tie the game and couldn't do it. Plus fielding errors that led to Cardinal runs.

But I guess Brave fans need someone to blame for their teams incompetence.

As a Braves fan those comments would **** me off because it gives off the vibe like he doesn't care

Old 10-06-2012, 04:13 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Please stop saying it's just a game because that is not true.
Right. It's just a prime time TV show, performed before a live studio audience for advertising money.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:35 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
and endangering people's lives.
You couldn't harm a baby kitten by throwing an empty 1-liter plastic water bottle at it, nor even knock it off its feet. Much less endanger the lives of adult human beings.

Here's an idea -- save up all our empties, and taken them to Afghanistan and throw them at the Taliban. They'll surrender immediately, under that kind of shock and awe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post

If I were the refs I woulda given the game to the Cardinals after a few minutes of the bottle throwing.
That would have been much, much worse. Do you want baseball to live forever with some knee-jerk forfeit "after a few minutes" indelibly inscribed in its record books? Even worse, that the forfeit would have been in a silly one-game-and-out playoff format.

In 1934, Detroit fans showered Cardinals outfielder Joe Medwick with garbage, after falling behind 11-0 in Game Seven, but even that did not warrant a forfeit, and instead, the commissioner ordered Medwick out of the game, which ended the fans' demonstration, and play went on.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-06-2012 at 04:53 AM..

Old 10-06-2012, 06:13 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,516,560 times
Quote:
That's the only way for a fan to react who spent their money only to have their evening ruined by a slimy umpire
It was a bad call, but the Braves evening was ruined by their sloppy fielding errors. The call did not cost them the game, and calls are part of the game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball