U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 09:37 AM

5,985 posts, read 3,736,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
...and please get rid of TNT games, Ernie Johnson is a horrible announcer. TBS is great with my Brewers TV guy Brian Anderson.
Johnson is a longtime Braves announcer and is unhappy announcing any other games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 09:39 AM

5,985 posts, read 3,736,770 times
ESPN Radio is streaming all the games free, but they're all subject to blackout in some areas. No blackouts here in Tennessee yet.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:09 PM

20,905 posts, read 39,179,200 times
I've always refused to spend any money on cable TV's sports packages. IMO there's enough sports on TV to keep me happy, and I won't contribute any more to the greed than I already do.

My gripe on TV baseball is the camera angles; all we seem to get are close-ups of faces and dorks spitting. I wish they'd mix up the shots, they have enough cameras spread around to do so.

I've seen some shots from the stands directly behind the plate (where the HIGH price seats are) but I've never seen the full sequence of play from that vantage point. It would be nice to see a few full plays from that point or other cameras, more like we'd see if we were sitting in the stands. They seem to think that closeups are the only thing we want.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:23 PM

21,319 posts, read 21,886,413 times
Just on principle (BSOCRU), I have been conducting my own "baseball" protest and while I will watch the games being played, I will refrain from watching the actual "baseball" whenever possible. I can usually accomoplish this pretty effectively by holding my finger up at arms length and can react quicker that when I try to move my finger across the face of the TV screen.

Baseball Stitchers of Costa Rica Unite!

Go El Tigres!

Old 10-08-2012, 12:28 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,251,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post

I've seen some shots from the stands directly behind the plate (where the HIGH price seats are) but I've never seen the full sequence of play from that vantage point. It would be nice to see a few full plays from that point or other cameras, more like we'd see if we were sitting in the stands. They seem to think that closeups are the only thing we want.
In the days before high-resolution lenses, all games were shot from behind the plate when the pitch was delivered, and in the black-and-white days, they usually had only about three cameras. I like it a lot better from there.

I'm getting fed up with the field mike sounds, the loud whoosh of every pitch crossing the plate and the loud pop of the mitt and the thump of runners foot being picked up by a mike buried under the base. Sometimes they have those turned up so loud, the AGC compresses the announcers and it takes a couple seconds for their voices to work their way back up.

The sounds around home plate are particularly annoying in the Blue Jays telecasts. For several years, I think Tampa Bay made an effort to hang the crowd mike right over the loudest most obnoxious drunk. For a few years, the Braves had a mike aimed at some coach or somebody who was yelling encouraging jock-talk like "C'mon, Bobby" between every pitch.

I won't even get into the announcers talking for a whole inning with the promoters of golf tournaments and the like, while the game on the field is being ignored. Or the bottom of the 7th chat in Wrigley with whatever stand-up comic did the stretch song.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-08-2012 at 12:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or