Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 12:34 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,704,681 times

Advertisements

He can force the starting pitcher to throw 2 more pitches to get him to first base and, he might even get the pitcher to change his mind and pitch to him with the count 3-2.

I've never seen this as long as i've been watching baseball.....well, it happened in the Bad News Bears when Inglebert/Englebert reached out during an intentional walk and hit a pitch that got too close to the plate.

Is there a benefit that i'm not thinking of to NOT swing and making the pitcher throw 2 more pitches?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 01:43 AM

613 posts, read 1,054,482 times
One you get an easy base runner. Why would you put yourself in a 3-2 count where the pitcher has the advantage rather than get on base. Look at it this way average batting average is what like .250. So you have at best 3 in 10 chance of getting a hit and thats if you get on base. Take the easy walk man. Plus I think its unsportsman to try and swing just to make the pitcher throw 2 more pitches probably get a fastball to the dome next at bat.

Last edited by steve1282; 10-11-2012 at 01:44 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-11-2012, 08:16 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,376,856 times
I've never seen a batter swing during an intentional walk but I did see Johnny Bench strike out when he thought he was being intentionally walked. This happened in the World Series.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:41 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times
It certainly has happened.

Generally intentional walks are bad ideas for the defense. More base runners tends to lead to more runs. That's not rocket science. Generally, the offense should want to be intentionally walked. There are times, of course, when the walk is a good idea - when the batter being walked is much better than the batter behind him. Think a #8 hitter followed by a pitcher.

Ever watch a home run derby or batting practice? Those pitchers are trying to throw hittable pitches and batters still hit plenty of balls that would become outs if there were a defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1282 View Post
One you get an easy base runner. Why would you put yourself in a 3-2 count where the pitcher has the advantage rather than get on base. Look at it this way average batting average is what like .250. So you have at best 3 in 10 chance of getting a hit and thats if you get on base. Take the easy walk man. Plus I think its unsportsman to try and swing just to make the pitcher throw 2 more pitches probably get a fastball to the dome next at bat.
The average hitter in the MLB hit .255 this season (that includes pitchers - non pitchers hit .259).
On 3-2 counts the average hitter hit .221
So steve is right that pitchers have the advantage

On a 3 - 0 count I wouldn't mind seeing some hitters taking 1 swing. That'd make the count 3 - 1. This occasionally happens, so forcing the pitcher and catcher to complete one more throw might not be a bad idea.

Hitters hit .354 on 3 - 1 pitches so if the pitcher then decides to 'go after' the hitter the hitter would still be in an advantageous situation.

I don't think that swinging at an intentional walk is any more unsportsmanlike than the intentional walk itself. Teams should do whatever they can, within the rules, to attempt to win.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:45 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,704,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
It certainly has happened.

Generally intentional walks are bad ideas for the defense. More base runners tends to lead to more runs. That's not rocket science. Generally, the offense should want to be intentionally walked. There are times, of course, when the walk is a good idea - when the batter being walked is much better than the batter behind him. Think a #8 hitter followed by a pitcher.

Ever watch a home run derby or batting practice? Those pitchers are trying to throw hittable pitches and batters still hit plenty of balls that would become outs if there were a defense.

The average hitter in the MLB hit .255 this season (that includes pitchers - non pitchers hit .259).
On 3-2 counts the average hitter hit .221
So steve is right that pitchers have the advantage

On a 3 - 0 count I wouldn't mind seeing some hitters taking 1 swing. That'd make the count 3 - 1. This occasionally happens, so forcing the pitcher and catcher to complete one more throw might not be a bad idea.

Hitters hit .354 on 3 - 1 pitches so if the pitcher then decides to 'go after' the hitter the hitter would still be in an advantageous situation.

I don't think that swinging at an intentional walk is any more unsportsmanlike than the intentional walk itself. Teams should do whatever they can, within the rules, to attempt to win.
Great post.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:39 AM

881 posts, read 2,091,564 times
Don't forget the other issue - a hitter leaning forward & making contact can run afoul of 6.06 (batter is out if one or both feet are outside of the box on contact).
Purely an aside, an IBB is so much easier to execute on a LHB - F2 can easily use his mitt as the target well outside of the catcher's box (unless, of course, F2 is a lefty...)

Old 10-11-2012, 12:10 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Why risk the four throws involved in an intentional walk? They could more safely execute the intent utilizing Rule 8:02

Quote:
(a) (1) Bring his pitching hand in contact with his mouth or lips while in the 18 foot circle surrounding the pitching rubber.

PENALTY: For violation of this part of this rule the umpires shall immediately call a ball.
No potential wild pitch, no chance of the batter swinging, just four consecutive licks of the finger while standing on the mound.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:14 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Why risk the four throws involved in an intentional walk? They could more safely execute the intent utilizing Rule 8:02

No potential wild pitch, no chance of the batter swinging, just four consecutive licks of the finger while standing on the mound.
You need to read the rest of Rule 8.02.

(a)(1) PENALTY: Repeated offenders shall be subject to a fine by the league president.

PENALTY:

(b) In the case of a second offense by the same pitcher in the same game, the pitcher shall be disqualified from the game.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:15 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
You need to read the rest of Rule 8.02.

(a)(1) PENALTY: Repeated offenders shall be subject to a fine by the league president.

PENALTY:

(b) In the case of a second offense by the same pitcher in the same game, the pitcher shall be disqualified from the game.
People like you are why I keep not getting hired as a manager.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:28 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times
Have you ever heard of a book titled "Knotty Problems of Baseball"?

It was originally published in the 1930's and is still in print (updated yearly for rule changes). It has baseball situations described, then gives the relevent ruling and cites the exact rule involved. It also includes the complete baseball rules. A very good book for anybody who would like to know the rules of baseball better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball