Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which player would you have hit?
Player 1 2 40.00%
Player 2 1 20.00%
Player 3 2 40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 11:03 PM

13,290 posts, read 15,227,059 times

Advertisements

I'll promise I'll answer this one.

Here's the situation.

You're trailing by a run in the top of the ninth, runners at 1st and 2nd.

These are your three options to hit
Player 1: 560 AB, 132 H, 19 2B, 6 3B, 6 HR, 31 BB, 132 K's, .236 BA, .272 OBP, .323 SLG
Player 2: 538 AB, 131 H, 18 2B, 2 3B, 21 HR, 45 BB, 147 K's, .242 BA, .312 OBP, .401 SLG
Player 3: 531 AB, 136 H, 35 2B, 2 3B, 29 HR, 62 BB, 162 K's, .256 BA, .335 OBP, .493 SLG

Who do you send up?

Assume no platoon advantage.
Assume for all information you are missing that the hitters are exactly equal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 09:05 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,071,191 times
I would defintely go for #3 for the doubles advantage. Most likely a double is going to drive in the winning run. It'll definitely tie the game and put runners on 2nd and 3rd. He also has the best stats (albeit a few more strikeouts).

Old 10-17-2012, 09:07 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,776,012 times
How many outs are there?

Old 10-17-2012, 10:32 AM

882 posts, read 2,082,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
How many outs are there?
And not just this, but what's F1 doing? High strikes? Low strikes? Which hitter is the better bunter? Is my lead runner fast/smart enough to take advantage? Does F2 chase down bunts better on the 1st or 3rd base side?
These are all Q's that impact the decision. .60 points of SLG, not so much.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
How many outs are there?
Oops....

Two outs

Old 10-17-2012, 04:46 PM

802 posts, read 1,673,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayess1 View Post
And not just this, but what's F1 doing? High strikes? Low strikes? Which hitter is the better bunter? Is my lead runner fast/smart enough to take advantage? Does F2 chase down bunts better on the 1st or 3rd base side?
These are all Q's that impact the decision. .60 points of SLG, not so much.
"Assume for all information you are missing that the hitters are exactly equal"

Old 10-17-2012, 05:20 PM
sun

683 posts, read 2,119,614 times
I voted for player #1.
He has the most AB's and the least amount of K's so we know that he's probably better at making contact and a single will most likely score a run from 2nd base to tie the game.
He has hit the most singles 101 vs. 90 vs. 70 but also has the most AB's.
His combined doubles and triples (25), is better than player #2 with 20.
And the fact that he has many less K's than player #3 means that there's a much better chance that he won't strike out and will at least make some kind of contact.
And the fact that he's not as much of HR hitter as either #2 or #3 could very well mean that he's also a faster runner with a better chance for getting an infield single, or even able to make it to 1st safely if there's a passed ball on strike three.
A good contact hitter, less K's, a relatively high number of extra base hits and probably a faster runner than the others to beat out a close throw at 1st will give him the edge to pinch hit on a closing pitcher in the 9th.
His lower batting average could partly be the result of simply not having as many walks. The power hitters do draw more intentional walks, which wouldn't score a run in the current situation. So the chances are that neither will get a hitter's count since either could be intentionally walked if the pitcher falls behind in the count.
The pitcher would probably try to go after player #1, and if he's good at making contact to keep fouling off pitches, then he may stay alive long enough to do it. Player #1 may not walk as much, but he certainly doesn't strike out as much. He only needs to make good enough contact to put the ball into play, or to draw a walk to keep the inning alive.

Last edited by sun; 10-17-2012 at 05:45 PM..

Old 10-17-2012, 06:30 PM

48,564 posts, read 23,968,969 times
Well now wait a moment here....you say I'm the manager? Very well, how long have I had the job, how secure is my future with the club, how critical is the particular game in question in relation to an eventual championship?

What sort of manager am I? Do I subscribe to a sabermetric approach employing up to date complex analysis, or do I rely on my personality to establish a stable and professional clubhouse atmosphere, and just get out of the way and let the players play?

Am I the glib sort, comfortable with the media, who probably can get a career as an announcer going if I get sacked as a manager? Or is this gig pretty much all that stands between baseball and me selling mutual finds for a living?

I just want to make sure I have all the relevant info before submitting my response.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:20 PM

882 posts, read 2,082,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
"Assume for all information you are missing that the hitters are exactly equal"
But not the fielders...

Old 10-17-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun View Post
And the fact that he's not as much of HR hitter as either #2 or #3 could very well mean that he's also a faster runner
eeny-meeny-miny-Why'd you make this assumption? Plenty of home runs hitters are fast. Plenty of non-home run hitters are slow.

Plus,
Quote:
Assume for all information you are missing that the hitters are exactly equal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayess1 View Post
But not the fielders...
Also assume the defense is equal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Well now wait a moment here....you say I'm the manager? Very well, how long have I had the job, how secure is my future with the club, how critical is the particular game in question in relation to an eventual championship?
You've managed your current team for 4 years.
It's the World Series game 7.
You fate as a baseball manager depends upon it.

Quote:
What sort of manager am I? Do I subscribe to a sabermetric approach employing up to date complex analysis, or do I rely on my personality to establish a stable and professional clubhouse atmosphere, and just get out of the way and let the players play?

Am I the glib sort, comfortable with the media, who probably can get a career as an announcer going if I get sacked as a manager? Or is this gig pretty much all that stands between baseball and me selling mutual finds for a living?
You are you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball