Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 04:30 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times

Advertisements

I'm certainly not an A-Rod basher and though it is certainly where this thread will go, that's not my intention. I think Rodriguez is an excellent player who for multiple reasons has difficulty with the media.

This won't help

Girardi made special press-level call to shield A-Rod's feelings - CBSSports.com
Quote:
Yankees manager Joe Girardi made a special call to the public address announcer on the press level during a Yankees playoff game to request that Alex Rodriguez not be named when Girardi pinch hit Eric Chavez for A-Rod, people familiar with the situation said.

So when Chavez pinch hit for A-Rod, only Chavez's name was announced, not A-Rod's. Typically the announcement contains the names of both the player who is pinch hitting as well as the person who was being pinch-hit for.
Also of note, the Yankees have a position entitled: Director of mental conditioning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 04:59 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
What is here to trigger any Arod bashing? Rodriguez is an innocent bystander in this story, he doesn't demand or request that his name not be announced, it is done on his behalf by Girardi.

Now, if there was some evidence that Girardi was motivated to show this sensitivity by some past eruption of Arod's in the same sort of circumstances, then we could have a bash.

But the tale seems to be....manager wanting to not heap any additional humiliation on former susperstar who had been having a tough time of it lately.

Quote:
Also of note, the Yankees have a position entitled: Director of mental conditioning.
That was Goebbels job for the Third Reich.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:49 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Here in Seattle we have made a sport of booing him when he comes to bat at Safeco, but one is still tempted to feel sorry seeing someone with such talent on a fast downward spiral at such an early age.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:08 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,378,901 times
What I find distasteful here is that it isn't enough to pay these players the amount of money they're getting, but that they also must be coddled and petted and have their feelings protected. How much more ridiculous can things become? If there is one positive aspect of this entire A-roid situation, it is that the Yankees and every other organization should now know better than to give any player such a long-term, high-dollar contract.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
What is here to trigger any Arod bashing?
I don't know.

But it's as predictable as the sunrise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
What I find distasteful here is that it isn't enough to pay these players the amount of money they're getting, but that they also must be coddled and petted and have their feelings protected. How much more ridiculous can things become? If there is one positive aspect of this entire A-roid situation, it is that the Yankees and every other organization should now know better than to give any player such a long-term, high-dollar contract.
I know that I think baseball players are robots or computers or whatever it is that I think since I understand math and use statistics but regardless of how much a person makes they are still a human who has feelings and emotions. Maybe, just maybe, $25 million a year doesn't change that. But, since I'm likely wrong and everyone 'round these parts knows so much more about baseball than I do, maybe someone can tell me at just what salary level does a player cease to be a human?

Old 10-27-2012, 01:20 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Baseball player is the only job where someone is not only paid millions but given awards for being successful in their job 3 times out of 10, and 4/10 is almost unheard of.

I know I'd get fired in a minute with that kind of performance.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:28 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
at just what salary level does a player cease to be a human?
It can vary and sometimes get complex, especially when dealing with the Yankees. For example, Aaron Rowand, tanking it in San Francisco, ceased to be a human being at 12 million a year. However, if Rowand had been making the same money and phoning in his performance for New York, he could still be a human being because of the relativity of others. Arod of course ceased being a human being way back when he signed the Texas contract, and moving to New York and renegotiating an even bigger contract totally severed all of his connections with humanity, he may no longer even be an Earthling. Rowand, held to the light of Arod in New York, retains just enough human chromosomes to pass for a human. Move Rowand to Kansas City or Oakland and his humanity evaporates instantly.

You can also lose your humanity via poor performance. Prince Fielder successfully retained his humanity in Detroit this season despite the 23 million dollar salary. However, if next season he experiences a collapse, say posts a .740 OPS or something, then the 23 million condemns him to non human status.

Consequently, we cannot apply the same human/salary formula to all players and all clubs with uniformity.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Baseball player is the only job where someone is not only paid millions but given awards for being successful in their job 3 times out of 10, and 4/10 is almost unheard of.

I know I'd get fired in a minute with that kind of performance.
If your job involves knowing anything about baseball I'd say you're due to be fired any minute.

I assume that your 3/10 or 4/10 success rate refers to a player batting. Baseball players don't just bat. For example, there is also fielding. All major league baseball players managed to successfully field (without making an error) 98.4% of batted balls this season. That's a success rate that most people in most professions would be proud of. Pitchers also manage to successfully retire the inverse amount of hitters that successfully reach base, so around 65% - 70%.

Also, an average of almost 8 players per season over the last 5 seasons have reached base 4 or more out of 10 times (OBP >= .400). So it's certainly not almost unheard of for a batter to be successful 4 out of 10 times.

You, though, are batting pretty close to 0 with this post.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:04 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,708,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
A Roid? You jealous over those 27 titles Yankee fans have?

Old 10-27-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
A Roid? You jealous over those 27 titles Yankee fans have?
I would imagine that he's referring to Alex Rodriguez testing positive for steroid use. But feel free to flaunt those 27 titles you had nothing to do with
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball