U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 08:12 PM

51,901 posts, read 41,783,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
I always liked Sosa, he was fun to watch. Really nice guy.
Sosa may have the best chance of getting in, maybe not on the first ballot but he may actually get in.

I personally don't care about the steroid issue. I go to games to be entertained, and for the most part I am.
That's why they should just give the guys aluminum bats and bring the walls in 50 feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 08:33 PM

4,847 posts, read 6,359,735 times
Odds of no one getting into the Hall this year? Will the PED's help put a guy like Jack Morris over the edge?

Old 11-30-2012, 08:35 PM

40,892 posts, read 18,562,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
I always liked Sosa, he was fun to watch. Really nice guy.
Sosa may have the best chance of getting in, maybe not on the first ballot but he may actually get in.
Why? He certainly was a lesser player than Bonds or Clemens. His PEDs guilt is also more firmly established, he was on the positive test list from 2003.

Some voters are saying that they will vote for Bonds and Clemens under the theory that they had already established themselves as Hall of Famers before their PEDs use. No one is arguing that for Sosa, in fact most are arguing the opposite....that if not for PEDs Sosa's career would not have been that note worthy.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:50 AM

764 posts, read 1,572,949 times
Bonds and Clemens are locks regardless. At any rate, HOF is a sham, look what they did to Roberto Alomar, this guy was a first ballot HOFer, best second basemen in the history of the game, what a glove, no one ever had his numbers, go figure. Now if Andre Dawson is a HOFer they have to put Bud Harrelson in there, oh and then there is Phil Rizzuto, lol, the good ole boys club. . .and so it goes.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:16 AM

1,754 posts, read 2,079,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Odds of no one getting into the Hall this year? Will the PED's help put a guy like Jack Morris over the edge?
I hate talking about the PED freaks. I hope Black Jack is the only one that gets in. If he struggled this much to get in then Schilling should get 0% of the vote this year. If Viola and Mike Scott rightfully aren't in the HOF, then anybody voting for Schilling should have their voting privilege removed.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:50 PM

2,716 posts, read 2,613,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
That's why they should just give the guys aluminum bats and bring the walls in 50 feet.
Well if they want to destroy them bodies so be it. I honestly could not care less about the steroid issue. I think most fans do not care.

These players played for years and fans packed stadiums for years and cheered for them. The fans still fought and sued each other over the supposedly "worthless and tainted" baseballs they hit.

I think the media cares about the issue more then the typical fan.

All in my opinion.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:06 PM

6,981 posts, read 4,456,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Sammy Sosa debut on Hall of Fame ballot - Chicago Sun-Times

Bonds, Clemens and Sosa.

You have 3 steroid users, 2 dispicable human beings and even the likeable Sosa has gone through extensive skin whitening....wow, way to go Sammy you are like a modern day Jackie Robinson.

A pretty sad day for baseball and of course Bonds and Clemens should be locks for the HOF....just not a feel good moment for the sport.
This is the hall of FAME, not the 'hall of nice guys'.

On field accomplishments are all that matters. OJ Simpson is in the NFL HOF last i checked.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:37 PM

13,293 posts, read 12,792,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
This is the hall of FAME, not the 'hall of nice guys'.

On field accomplishments are all that matters.
Not according to the Official Election Rules
Quote:
5. Voting: Voting shall be based upon the player's record, playing ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character, and contributions to the team(s) on which the player played.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:39 PM

13,293 posts, read 12,792,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwamjn View Post
If Viola and Mike Scott rightfully aren't in the HOF, then anybody voting for Schilling should have their voting privilege removed.
WAR is not the end-all of HoF voting, see the rules I posted above, but

Schilling career WAR: 86

Viola and Scott career combined WAR: 82 (51+31)

Old 12-09-2012, 12:19 AM

6,981 posts, read 4,456,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Not according to the Official Election Rules
Those 'intangibles' help but nowhere does it says a great player who's a jerk won't be elected. Maybe the 'integrity' issue will help a borderline player but it won't hurt a great player. It doesnt appear that a great player who was a 'bad guy' will get aced out of the HOF.

If they leave out great players who are bad people, they're really making a mockery of their own HOF by turning it into the hall of nice guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball