Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2008, 09:46 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times

Advertisements

Any particular reason why College Baseball World Series is always held in Omaha? At least its been so since 1950. Why Omaha? Why don't they use different venues?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 10:58 AM

1,251 posts, read 3,311,211 times
WAG, but it's probably because it's pretty much centrally located to all the schools? Also, wasn't the stadium originally built specifically for the series? The NCAA just signed an 25 year extension, keeping the series in Omaha until 2035. I think they're building a new stadium, too, so it doesn't look like the CWS is going anywhere anytime soon.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:11 AM

8,803 posts, read 10,236,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
Also, wasn't the stadium originally built specifically for the series?
Yes, I read somwhere it is. Speaking of the CWS, great run by Fresno State! job well done.. and thanks for taking care of UNC

Old 06-26-2008, 12:07 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,279,857 times
ahem. I believe I can answer this.

-Omaha has been home to the college world series for almost 60 years.
-Omaha has treated all players and fans as though this event is our own private super-bowl something that couldn't be accomplished in a larger city.
-Omaha is building a new stadium that fits the NCAA's requests.

no other city has hosted any college championship as long as Omaha has. The president of the NCAA said that other cities respect that. Almost every city that has submitted a request to host the event has said "If Omaha can't do it or loses interest, call us." So Omaha loves it. It gains a huge spotlight for the city once a year which helps keep Omaha on the map nationally, and it is the undisputed event of the year every year in our city. We love it, and we wouldn't give it up easily.

Thank you to all the great fans who turn out year after year to see our city while enjoying such a fine sport. That group of people is, to me, proof that there is good sportsmanship in our country.

Last edited by 2Adam29; 06-26-2008 at 12:17 PM..

Old 06-26-2008, 12:41 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,857,209 times
Unlike all the other championship games/series, having CWS in Omaha is a really neat tradition that should never change. Omaha's a nice place that doesn't usually get much attention, so let them have it.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:22 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Don't anyone get me wrong, I'm not objecting to it being in Omaha. I'm just curious why it was chosen as the home of the CWS. I actually think it's sort of cool they do it one place every year. I was kind of hoping someone would have some historical insight.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:59 PM

475 posts, read 2,234,004 times
Omaha has poured MILLIONS into stadium improvements over the past several decades... catering to the NCAA's every wish and need. Now, the city of Omaha has commited $128 million to building a brand new ballpark... the reward... a 25 year contract.

If you stop to think about it... there really are very few other locations which could fit the bill... without dedicating millions of dollars to the event as Omaha has (not many cities are willing to do that). You certainly couldn't have it at a MLB ballpark... no team would be willing to vacate the stadium for more than 2 weeks which the CWS requires (it remains to be seen whether our minor league team will be willing to continue doing this at the new ballpark)... and there's no minor league ballpark in the country large enough to accomodate the crowds which the event brings.

I'm sure the centralized location has played something of a role in the locations appeal as well.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:14 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,551,886 times
The local paper today had an article about an ESPN writer that is writing a book on this "CWS experience"... said its supposed to be out in time for next year's series...
-----------------------------------------------------

Actually the Series started in Kalamazoo (1947-1948)...
then went to Witchita (1949) and George Bush Sr was the team captain for Yale...
1950 it went north to Omaha where the tradition was built by a handful of really strong local and influential businessmen.

The businessmen that get most of the credit of initially keeping it here were:
Morris Jacobs and Byron Reed of the Bozell & Jacobs firm
Ed Pettis of the old Brandies store and
Johnny Rosenblatt the Mayor of Omaha and a huge huge baseball fan (and the namesake of the current Rosenblatt Stadium).

In the mid-60's a service organization with all volunteer staff and management was created specifically for the event. The guy that is primarily associated with the organization (College World Series, Inc) is Jack Diesing, Jr. who took over from his dad who started it, Jack Diesing, Sr.

Those 6 guys build such a committment from volunteers in the community, but also huge corporate support from the big money folks in Omaha... that committment continues today and is a key reason the new stadium is being built and funded (1/3rd or $43M is coming from private donations).

Both private and public money went into the stadium over the last 15 years to really upgrade it and show the NCAA the committment the town had... each major upgrade usually won the contract for another 3-5 years...

here's some of the upgrades that have happened to the exisiting stadium:

2010-2035 NEW DOWNTOWN STADIUM (click for website with drawings)
2008 not an upgrade but <series format changed which is fairly controversial... local Omaha sports writers are slamming the new format as bad>
2006 General renovations
2005 Large video screen (1500+ sqft)
2004 Sound system & general renovation
2003 NCAA office, umpire room & general renovation
2001-2002 saw a little over $7 million for the fans - concessions, patio, and lots of seat upgrades and all new general adminssion seating (old wodden bleachers gone)
2000 Dingerville moved (some don't consider this an upgrade but a bad bad move by the city to satisfy corporate interests of the NCAA)
1999 New entrance which is what you know see in the press and on ESPN with the statue for "Road to Omaha" (http://www.cwsomaha.com/road-to-omaha/the-road-to-omaha.html - broken link) (a trademarketed name)
1998 General Renovations
1997 Bathrooms
1996 Press Box major addition and I think the glassed in concession/dining area was added.
1995 Added a lot of reserved permanent seats
1994 Parking and general admission bleachers added
1993 Added a lot of reserved permanent seats plus a bunch of stuff for media and umpires
1960 view of the stadium

Its the work that those original 4 guys, plus the committment of Diesings (Sr and Jr) did that started the tradition especially with the business community and volunteer support and that tradition continues to today.

I sure hope that "Road to Omaha" and somehow the Rosenblatt facade are incorporated into the new stadium.
-----------------------------------------------------

P.S......

<HOPEFULLY A NEW TRADITION IS STARTING WITH THE US OLYMPIC SWIM TRIALS - SOME OF THE SWIMMERS SAY THE POOL IS THE BEST THEY'VE EVER EXPERIENCED>

<Omaha and the NCAA have a fantastic relationship: Besides Baseball, Omaha did Volleyball national championship with over 17,000 people; and Basketball has returned after several decades. The NCAA likes that whether is baseball, volleyball, basketball championships or Olympic level swimming - Omaha consistently delivers a fantastic competitior and fan experience... I think they even made a statement similiar to that when they announced one of those events>

P.S.S... way to go Fresno State - I went to the first game they lost in the Championship - what a game!

Last edited by Dave1215; 06-26-2008 at 03:05 PM..

Old 05-27-2013, 10:22 PM

1 posts, read 16,577 times
Geaux Tigers #1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball