U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 11:49 AM

2,011 posts, read 2,012,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Keep Dodger Stadium.

Lets be serious however... and not compare Three Rivers to Dodger Stadium.

Three Rivers (Riverfront in Cincinnati, Veterans Stadium in Philly, Olympic in Montreal and other "multi purpose" facilities became all the rage for communities trying to satisfy the needs of multiple sports teams. Unfortunately, they were also all equally compromised at not being the best sporting venue for any one sport. Jack of all trades, masters of none. The sightlines were compromised, the playing fields (generally astroturf) played differently, were hard and caused/aggravated injuries, and they were not very esthetically pleasing or welcoming environments for ball games. There is very little reason any of them should have been "renovated" to update and keep them due to so many deficiencies from a fan, and event standpoint (other than their fexibility). Their disappearance and replacement by sport specific facilities is a huge improvement for the sports they host and the fan experiences.

Dodger stadium doesn't really suffer these shortcomings, and is largely considered a very good venue to take in a baseball game. Some renovations and updates could keep it going for a LONG time!

I agree with everything you wrote, and there is a $100,000 renovation to Dodger Stadium right now, I hope it's done before the season starts!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 05:27 PM

5,882 posts, read 6,531,601 times
i consider DS to be a true classic, a beautiful ballpark, and as MLB's third oldest park, one steeped in tradition.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:53 PM

833 posts, read 956,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
I agree with everything you wrote, and there is a $100,000 renovation to Dodger Stadium right now, I hope it's done before the season starts!!
$100,000 seems kinda low for a legit renovation. Hell that probably wont even be enough to replace the urinals. I know that the new ownership group has deep pockets, I'm surprised that they're only spending that much for a treasure such as Dodger Stadium.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:17 PM

1,324 posts, read 1,328,115 times
I vote to keep Dodger Stadium and upgrade. My family, including my aunt and uncle, as well as a large number of friends were uprooted from Chavez Ravine to make way for the "new" ballpark. I don't regret the move at all. We were well compensated and Chavez Ravine was an slum filled with lowlifes, anyhow. We moved to a better neighborhood and a lot nicer home.

I enjoyed the few times I saw the Dodgers play at the L.A. Coliseum, although I do wish they had held onto old Wrigley Field in South L.A. Attending the exhibition game between the Dodgers and Red Sox a couple of years ago really brought back some fond memories.

What Dodger Stadium needs to do to be fan-friendly and family-friendly is to keep the same lowlifes that lived in Chavez Ravine out of the ballpark, as well. I occassionally work uniformed security during the season and don't think twice about ejecting fans that prevent everyone at the stadium from enjoying the game.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:40 PM

2,011 posts, read 2,012,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLL View Post
$100,000 seems kinda low for a legit renovation. Hell that probably wont even be enough to replace the urinals. I know that the new ownership group has deep pockets, I'm surprised that they're only spending that much for a treasure such as Dodger Stadium.
My mistake, the renovation is a $100,000,000 renovation!!

Old 02-01-2013, 09:45 AM

833 posts, read 956,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
My mistake, the renovation is a $100,000,000 renovation!!

I gotcha, did some research and found this article.

Venues Today :: Dodger Stadium Upgrades with Fans in Mind

Awesome.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:59 AM

32,376 posts, read 59,827,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
i consider DS to be a true classic, a beautiful ballpark, and as MLB's third oldest park, one steeped in tradition.

Although it's slightly disturbing to think that a stadium that is only 50 years old is the third-oldest in the league.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:06 PM

11,087 posts, read 12,470,641 times
Tear down Dodger Stadium? Blasphemy! Upgrade it, but keep it where it is. The best stadium in baseball.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:23 AM

71,957 posts, read 83,612,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I think they should tear down that monstrosity and give the land back to the people they stole it from.

Ry Cooder - 3rd Base, Dodger Stadium
Why do so many threads have to turn into political discussions and were you living in Los Angeles and an adult at the time the Dodgers moved there or are you going by what you have read, which is not always the truth? Do you have any idea how many people have been emplyed by the Dodgers move to Los Angeles?

Old 02-23-2013, 11:27 AM

71,957 posts, read 83,612,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Trash Dodger Stadium and have the team move back to the LA Coliseum. Baseball was exciting there with the immense center and right fields, and hardly any left field at all. Acres of foul ground on the left side, almost nothing on the right. Bring back the Moon Shots.
I can't go along with that for one second, but it was exciting, especially 1959, when they would fill the coliseum and we all watched them go from a nothing team to the World Series champs.

I really would like to see them stay where they are, but I am sure the stadium needs some upgrading. I haven't seen a game there in 30 years.Our son has though.
Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball