U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-20-2012, 04:14 PM
 
Location: California
2,008 posts, read 2,011,202 times
Reputation: 1770

Advertisements

I was watching a show on the MLB network, they were showing highlights from the early 70’s. They made reference to the Pittsburgh Pirates moving into “beautiful” newly built Three River Stadium.

Three River Stadium was built in 1970 and was torn down in 2000, thus being in operation for only 20 years. Meanwhile Dodger Stadium was opened in 1962 and 50 years later is still going strong and still a beautiful baseball stadium. It is the second oldest ball park in the National League behind only Wrigley Field.

Question for baseball fans, would you rather have a completely new Dodger Stadium or the existing Stadium with maybe some upgrades? I chose to keep the stadium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-20-2012, 04:25 PM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,318 posts, read 21,872,221 times
Reputation: 33476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
I was watching a show on the MLB network, they were showing highlights from the early 70’s. They made reference to the Pittsburgh Pirates moving into “beautiful” newly built Three River Stadium.

Three River Stadium was built in 1970 and was torn down in 2000, thus being in operation for only 20 years. Meanwhile Dodger Stadium was opened in 1962 and 50 years later is still going strong and still a beautiful baseball stadium. It is the second oldest ball park in the National League behind only Wrigley Field.

Question for baseball fans, would you rather have a completely new Dodger Stadium or the existing Stadium with maybe some upgrades? I chose to keep the stadium.
I think they should tear down that monstrosity and give the land back to the people they stole it from.

Ry Cooder - 3rd Base, Dodger Stadium
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2012, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
40,824 posts, read 18,553,245 times
Reputation: 18653
Trash Dodger Stadium and have the team move back to the LA Coliseum. Baseball was exciting there with the immense center and right fields, and hardly any left field at all. Acres of foul ground on the left side, almost nothing on the right. Bring back the Moon Shots.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2012, 01:07 AM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
13,293 posts, read 12,789,297 times
Reputation: 6636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Trash Dodger Stadium and have the team move back to the LA Coliseum. Baseball was exciting there with the immense center and right fields, and hardly any left field at all. Acres of foul ground on the left side, almost nothing on the right. Bring back the Moon Shots.
Sure, Giants fan.

After we lock up a Crawford, Kemp, Ethier OF for the next eleventy years.

Crawford, the left fielder and only good defender of the bunch, you want to stick where his range would be completely neutralized and you'd give Kemp and Ethier miles to cover...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2012, 07:21 AM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
40,824 posts, read 18,553,245 times
Reputation: 18653
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Sure, Giants fan.

After we lock up a Crawford, Kemp, Ethier OF for the next eleventy years.

Crawford, the left fielder and only good defender of the bunch, you want to stick where his range would be completely neutralized and you'd give Kemp and Ethier miles to cover...
You have detected my plan.

As Vin Scully said of the Coliseum..."There was room for a hundred thousand fans, and two outfielders."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2012, 08:02 AM
 
Location: California
2,008 posts, read 2,011,202 times
Reputation: 1770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I think they should tear down that monstrosity and give the land back to the people they stole it from.

Ry Cooder - 3rd Base, Dodger Stadium

I think the mostly Mexican population of Chavez Ravine have forgiven the Dodgers for "stealing" their land and are now diehard Dodger fans!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2012, 09:03 AM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,318 posts, read 21,872,221 times
Reputation: 33476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
I think the mostly Mexican population of Chavez Ravine have forgiven the Dodgers for "stealing" their land and are now diehard Dodger fans!!
yeah, about as likely as the Pine Ridge residents being diehard US Calvary fans I'd say

Decades later, bitter memories of Chavez Ravine - Los Angeles Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2012, 05:04 PM
 
890 posts, read 1,531,395 times
Reputation: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
You have detected my plan.

As Vin Scully said of the Coliseum..."There was room for a hundred thousand fans, and two outfielders."


I never heard that one before....that's great!

As for the Ravine....there are a lot of things in this country that were "taken" - right or wrong we can't go back and undo it.

I say keep Dodger Stadium where it is....do a renovation if necessary, but maintain the feel of it. Don't do what they did to Yankee Stadium and convert it to a shopping mall where there's a baseball field next to the food court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2012, 10:10 AM
 
Location: NY
9,070 posts, read 15,026,816 times
Reputation: 11499
Keep Dodger Stadium.

Lets be serious however... and not compare Three Rivers to Dodger Stadium.

Three Rivers (Riverfront in Cincinnati, Veterans Stadium in Philly, Olympic in Montreal and other "multi purpose" facilities became all the rage for communities trying to satisfy the needs of multiple sports teams. Unfortunately, they were also all equally compromised at not being the best sporting venue for any one sport. Jack of all trades, masters of none. The sightlines were compromised, the playing fields (generally astroturf) played differently, were hard and caused/aggravated injuries, and they were not very esthetically pleasing or welcoming environments for ball games. There is very little reason any of them should have been "renovated" to update and keep them due to so many deficiencies from a fan, and event standpoint (other than their fexibility). Their disappearance and replacement by sport specific facilities is a huge improvement for the sports they host and the fan experiences.

Dodger stadium doesn't really suffer these shortcomings, and is largely considered a very good venue to take in a baseball game. Some renovations and updates could keep it going for a LONG time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2013, 05:23 PM
 
833 posts, read 955,854 times
Reputation: 546
My vote is tear it down, and rebuild a state of the art spanking brand new stadium at the existing site. Make it even more charming and beautiful than the original. It really needs to be modernized much like AT&T Park in SF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top