Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 12:50 PM

48,564 posts, read 23,982,123 times

Advertisements

Andruw Jones accused of battery

Quote:
ATLANTA -- Police say the wife of former Atlanta Braves star outfielder Andruw Jones accused him of dragging her down a staircase, grabbing her neck and saying he wanted to kill her.

A police report obtained by The Associated Press says the fight happened around 1:30 a.m. Tuesday, after Nicole Jones asked her husband to help her prepare their home for Christmas morning.

Andruw Jones was free on bond after being arrested in Duluth on a battery charge, according to Gwinnett County Jail records. It wasn't known Wednesday whether he has an attorney.

Nicole Jones told officers she tried to escape upstairs, but her husband grabbed her by the ankle and dragged her downstairs, got on top of her and said, "I want to kill you," according to the report.

Gwinnett County Detention Center records say Jones was booked into the jail around 3:45 a.m. and had been released on $2,400 bond by 11 a.m. Tuesday.
While I've no idea of the specifics of this dispute, I have long thought that it would be only fair if the article reporting some guy's assault on his wife also included a description of her behavior which triggered the attack. We only ever get the female side of the story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 01:28 PM

13,290 posts, read 15,234,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Andruw Jones accused of battery

While I've no idea of the specifics of this dispute, I have long thought that it would be only fair if the article reporting some guy's assault on his wife also included a description of her behavior which triggered the attack. We only ever get the female side of the story.
Well, unless the woman's actions were also criminal in nature, I'm not sure they are relevant.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Well, unless the woman's actions were also criminal in nature, I'm not sure they are relevant.
Apparently they were relevant to Andruw.

I'm not advocating altering the criminal justice system in any manner, nor am I in any manner condoning violence in a marriage, by anyone.

I noted that in the reporting of celebrity assaults on wives or girlfriends, the public learns only that the guy attacked the woman, leaving the impression that it was unprovoked. While assaults are never justified save in self defense, I suspect that most wife/girlfriend attacks are the product of some sort of provocation, the female may not have done anything illegal, but she may well have done something unfair and infuriating.

The article stated the attack took place
Quote:
after Nicole Jones asked her husband to help her prepare their home for Christmas morning.
which makes Jones seem like a monster. I suspect that whatever motivated Jones, it was not simply being asked to help prepare the home for Christmas.

I would consider provocation a mitigating circumstance in judging the appropriate punishment for the attacker.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Apparently they were relevant to Andruw.

I'm not advocating altering the criminal justice system in any manner, nor am I in any manner condoning violence in a marriage, by anyone.

I noted that in the reporting of celebrity assaults on wives or girlfriends, the public learns only that the guy attacked the woman, leaving the impression that it was unprovoked. While assaults are never justified save in self defense, I suspect that most wife/girlfriend attacks are the product of some sort of provocation, the female may not have done anything illegal, but she may well have done something unfair and infuriating.

The article stated the attack took place
which makes Jones seem like a monster. I suspect that whatever motivated Jones, it was not simply being asked to help prepare the home for Christmas.

I would consider provocation a mitigating circumstance in judging the appropriate punishment for the attacker.
Fair points, all.

I'd suggest that anyone who reads this type of article and imagines that Andruw and his GF were sitting on the couch watching Frosty The Snowman when she asked him to put the leaf in the table and his immediate reaction was to punch her in the mouth...I'd suggest that that person is more in need of a change than the newspaper reporter.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:23 PM

14,640 posts, read 14,517,264 times
Many women love to push a man's buttons, especially with things they know may provoke violence. It's as much abuse as a punch in the face, but that's not something which is criminal between adults. The men in the situation need to see it for what it is and walk away.
That being said, we all (should) know there are many men who are simply cruel abusers who make their partners live in continual fear for their lives. We just shouldn't assume that is the case every time a guy is arrested for hitting his wife.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:35 PM

2,499 posts, read 4,401,616 times
"Andruw, since youre not playing ball anymore or contributing any money into the household, do you think you can find the time to get up off your a@@ and put up the God-damn christmas tree? It's not like you do anything else around here."

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Old 12-27-2012, 01:53 AM

2,221 posts, read 3,881,731 times
His baseball career tailspinned at a young age, similar to Dale Murphy, another former Atlanta Brave.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:03 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,297,617 times
"Due to Andruw's level of intoxication, Nicole said that she was able to push him back and move away from him," the report states. Nicole Jones then went to her parents' house."[LEFT]
Read more: Wife: Andruw Jones threatened to kill me - SFGate
[/LEFT]

Is this the first time? If so, I do not think that she should have called 911. Or maybe this is a perfect opportunity for cash payment for a baller's wife...cha ching! Many athletes marry these groupies in search of cash flow. I can hear the judge's anvil now.

On the contrary, maybe I have this all wrong and that she is actually a great loving women who did not chase down athletes in malls & hotels. And, if this abuse has happened before, then she should move forward with a divorce. Abuse is unacceptable.

But, I believe this is cash flow opportunity.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Andruw Jones' wife files for divorce
Updated: January 2, 2013, 3:16 PM ET
Associated Press

LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. -- The wife of former Atlanta Braves star Andruw Jones has filed for divorce about a week after she accused him of grabbing her neck and saying he wanted to kill her.

A divorce complaint filed Monday by Nicole Jones in a suburban Atlanta court says their 10-year marriage is "irretrievably broken."

According to a Gwinnett County police report, the pair had a fight around 1:30 a.m. Christmas Day after Nicole Jones asked her husband to help prepare their home for the morning. She told police Andruw Jones dragged her down a staircase, grabbed her neck and said he wanted to kill her.

Nicole Jones' lawyer, John Mayoue, declined to comment Wednesday. It was not immediately clear whether Andruw Jones had a lawyer.
Andruw Jones' wife files for divorce after alleged attack - ESPN

Old 01-02-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
I've never had the urge to be marred (period) to someone who strangled and threatened to kill me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball