U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which metro area does one team most dominant the 2nd?
New York 7 77.78%
Balt/Wash 0 0%
Chicago 0 0%
Los Angeles 1 11.11%
Bay Area 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 06:43 PM

5,890 posts, read 6,535,124 times

Advertisements

In which of the metro areas with 2 teams does one team across as the second team the most? which metro areas with 2 teams are the most competitive (and obviously identify the team in a given metro area you consider dominant):

New York: Mets, Yankees

Chicago: Cubs, White Sox

Los Angeles: Dodgers, Angels

Bay Area: Giants, Athletics

Wash/Balt: Nationals, Orioles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 07:32 PM

7,836 posts, read 19,572,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
In which of the metro areas with 2 teams does one team across as the second team the most? which metro areas with 2 teams are the most competitive (and obviously identify the team in a given metro area you consider dominant):

New York: Mets, Yankees

Chicago: Cubs, White Sox

Los Angeles: Dodgers, Angels

Bay Area: Giants, Athletics

Wash/Balt: Nationals, Orioles
Good question, I don't know the splits and I would love to see them for all the teams, you could do Florida as well Marlins -vs- Tampa Bay since they are only 2hrs and 45min apart and the Battle of Texas Astros vs Rangers. One thread I would love to see is all time winning percentage, a list of all teams. Without looking at the numbers I am making a ass of myself to think no matter what the Mets have done, it will be a huge contrast to the 27 World Series Wins not appearances. I'll wait to vote.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Good question, I don't know the splits and I would love to see them for all the teams, you could do Florida as well Marlins -vs- Tampa Bay since they are only 2hrs and 45min apart and the Battle of Texas Astros vs Rangers. One thread I would love to see is all time winning percentage, a list of all teams. Without looking at the numbers I am making a ass of myself to think no matter what the Mets have done, it will be a huge contrast to the 27 World Series Wins not appearances. I'll wait to vote.
you have a point about the other rivalries, Milw..... but in that case, perhaps we need a three way grouping that you and i share in what has virtually become one metro area: Cubs, White Sox, and Brewers.

that said, I'd agree with you about the Yankees and Mets. The Yankees are so dominant that there really make NYC the most lopsided of the markets. Indeed, the very fact that the Mets were an expansion team with roots only back to the 1960s adds to the disparity.

In some respects, it may be more difficult for the Mets in a two team market than it was for the Giants and Dodgers in a three team one. That's because the Giants and Dodgers had each other in an unparalleled cross town rivalry, the only one of its kind in MLB history (and until it ended in NYC in 1957, arguably the best of baseball's rivalries). that special relationship was always an equalizer for the two vs. the Yankees (although there is no question that by the mid-1950s, the Giants were the odd man out in that three team market, a place that was dominated by the Yankees and Dodgers, the later of whom would have had no problem if Ebbets Field were to be replaced....that's what caused the move to LA).

I'm sure you are well familiar with the Cubs-Sox relationship in Chicago. Yes, the Cubs are the dominant team. But both the Cubs and the Sox are original franchises with such long histories. also, they are more tied to geography than NYC (although I realize that LI fans tend to be more in the Mets' base). In Chicago, that old North vs. South situation makes for what can be a pretty even rivalry at times.

I'd say in the Bay Area, there is just too much success, money, and stadium difference, plus being SF instead of Oakland for the A's to put up with. Baltimore/Washington is the least united of the metro areas I mentioned so both cities have their own fan base.

LA, to me, is by far the most competitive. Not always the case, but with the rise of the Angels in recent years (and, yes, I think they were smart to return to the LA name, even if the "of Anaheim" is a bit ridiculous, but mercifully never stressed. In LA, you're as likely to hear someone say "the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" as you are to hear someone say "the University of California, Los Angeles")

Last edited by edsg25; 01-06-2013 at 07:22 AM..

Old 01-06-2013, 08:03 AM

12,201 posts, read 10,418,037 times
In terms of on-field success, New York. In terms of media coverage and revenue disparity, the Bay Area.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:22 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,161,575 times
Maybe looking at list and the disparity makes the most sense.

On the Yanks and Mets there is probably the biggest disparity (makes sense to me as a life long Mets hater they should be second class citizens, i jest)

Yet the Mets are still one of the most valuable franchises in the MLB (think top 5)

Forbes Magazine MLB Franchise Values: Are Projected Values Too High or Too Low? | Bleacher Report

This may be the easier list to view
Richest Baseball Teams – Most Valuable Baseball Teams 2012 | Celebrity Net Worth

Old 01-06-2013, 01:45 PM

8,163 posts, read 13,184,824 times
I would start with the Yankees over the Mets, then White sox over Cubs, in the past Angels over the Dodgers, recently Giants over the A's, and the washington / orioles thing is a little too new to determine right now.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I would start with the Yankees over the Mets, then White sox over Cubs, in the past Angels over the Dodgers, recently Giants over the A's, and the washington / orioles thing is a little too new to determine right now.
White Sox over Cubs?????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????

Old 01-06-2013, 04:16 PM

8,340 posts, read 14,100,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
White Sox over Cubs? Have you ever been to Chicago??

Old 01-06-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
how could anyone even come up with that?

Old 01-07-2013, 04:59 PM

8,163 posts, read 13,184,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Yes, I have; especially during my military years but the Sox in the early 2000's were a highly competitive team and outshined the performance of the choke-artist Cubs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball