U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-23-2013, 02:26 PM
 
Location: IL
2,992 posts, read 4,424,691 times
Reputation: 3085

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Who is currently enshrined that you know was a PEDs user?
Mike Schmidt and Hank Aaron admitted to using amphetamines. This article talks about how easy amphetamines were to get for decades.

On Baseball - Schmidt An Open Book On Greenies - NYTimes.com

Anyway, my point is where do you draw the line on cheating? Is only using PEDs cheating? How about Gaylord Perry's spitball? How about players that corked their bats?

Here's a great quote by Hornsby: "I've cheated, or someone on my team has cheated, in almost every single game I've been in."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-23-2013, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
41,147 posts, read 18,609,914 times
Reputation: 18746
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Mike Schmidt and Hank Aaron admitted to using amphetamines. This article talks about how easy amphetamines were to get for decades.
Amphetamines make players more alert, their value as performance enhancers is questionable and they certainly are not in the same class as steroids. No one hit 73 home runs in a season because of amphetamine use.

The record books have not been turned into a mess as a consequence of amphetamines. No one gained 15 pounds of muscles on amphetamines.

What is your thinking here? Because players got away with some low level cheating in the past, we have to treat gross violations exactly the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2013, 02:46 PM
 
Location: IL
2,992 posts, read 4,424,691 times
Reputation: 3085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Amphetamines make players more alert
I would argue it was more than that. It got players on the field for more games. It helped them see pitches better. It gave them more energy on the field, which would improve performance. My point is we are picking what cheating we like and don't like here and amphetamines were illegal for decades.

I do agree steroids are worse than many other forms of cheating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2013, 04:25 PM
 
Location: Springfield, Ohio
12,201 posts, read 10,436,423 times
Reputation: 11220
I think, if nothing else, the Brewers should be allowed to void their current contract with Braun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2013, 04:52 PM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
41,147 posts, read 18,609,914 times
Reputation: 18746
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I would argue it was more than that. It got players on the field for more games. It helped them see pitches better. It gave them more energy on the field, which would improve performance.

.
Actually I think it was more a matter of them allowing players to drink and party more. Show up at the park hung over, pop a few greenies and you are good to go.

I would like to know exactly how amphetamines would help anyone see a pitch better, unless inability to blink is a vision enhancer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2013, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
12,276 posts, read 11,339,377 times
Reputation: 6129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Amphetamines make players more alert, their value as performance enhancers is questionable and they certainly are not in the same class as steroids. No one hit 73 home runs in a season because of amphetamine use.

The record books have not been turned into a mess as a consequence of amphetamines. No one gained 15 pounds of muscles on amphetamines.

What is your thinking here? Because players got away with some low level cheating in the past, we have to treat gross violations exactly the same?

Gosh in the last year or so, Grandstander you went to medical school. Who knew?

I just had to remind you unlike Braun, Bond (who I know you are totally in to) never tested positive for steroids or any other substance for that matter. Never.

Those are the facts and they are not in dispute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2013, 09:06 PM
 
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
12,276 posts, read 11,339,377 times
Reputation: 6129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I think, if nothing else, the Brewers should be allowed to void their current contract with Braun.
Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2013, 03:22 AM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
27,798 posts, read 26,249,983 times
Reputation: 14611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I think, if nothing else, the Brewers should be allowed to void their current contract with Braun.
MLB should strip him of his MVP, cheater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top