U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 11:37 AM

7,847 posts, read 19,616,271 times

Advertisements

LAS CRUCES, N.M. - Junior Mike Schneider threw eight scoreless innings, taking a no-hitter into the sixth, and senior Will Fadness hit a grand slam to lead the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee baseball team to an 11-0 victory over New Mexico State University Friday evening.

Milwaukee Athletics - Baseball

I am excited even if my Milwaukee Panthers play at a horrible field, it's has a great name: Henry Aaron Field but it is in just horrible shape.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 11:46 AM

7,847 posts, read 19,616,271 times
As the only Division I college baseball team in the state of Wisconsin, the Panthers have seen much success, including posting six 30-win seasons in the last nine years. They have also qualified for three NCAA Tournaments since 1999, including a win over #1 ranked Rice in the first round of the 1999 NCAA Tournament. In 2008 the Panthers were the number five seed in the conference tournament and made the finals only to lose 16-3 to number one UIC. The 2010 team saw them reach the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2002, only to lose to number one Arizona State and then to San Diego in the elimination bracket.

Milwaukee Athletics - Baseball

The only thing the Panthers have to look forward to is playing some of it's games at Miller Park every year.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:33 PM

13,293 posts, read 12,828,357 times
Lobos lose again 15-14 in 13 innings.

After falling behind 5-0 in the first Lobos came back to lead 14-6 in the 8th. They couldn't hold on.

2B Sam Haggerty made another terribly timed error - he also collected his first NCAA hit.

3B DJ Peterson continues to show he's a likely 1st round pick this July. He went 3 for 4 with 2 walks, a line drive home run, and a moon shot triple off of the CF wall.

P Kevin Baumgartner was one of the few effective pitchers yesterday. He went 5 innings giving up just 3 hits and 1 run while striking out 6 in his first game as a Lobo

Old 02-17-2013, 05:13 PM

Lobos get their first win of the season 9 - 1 behind the solid pitching of the aptly named Sam Wolff.

Wolff allowed the lone run in 5.2 innings with 2 walks and 5 K's.

Catcher Mitch Garver was the offensive hero. He was 4-4 with 3 RsBI and missed a cycle by a home run.

The last out was made by freshman 2B Sam Haggerty who muffed important outs in each of the last two games.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:53 AM

72,203 posts, read 83,931,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I have found a huge difference between minor league and college baseball games.

I find the college guys are playing to win the game, while the minor league players are playing to impress the scouts/brass and get promoted (or dealt to another organization) to the next level.
I have never noticed this, but there certainly could be some truth to it. I know when our son was playing high school ball and the scouts were at the game, that is all he thought about. Beling a pitcher and having scouts there, of course, he wanted to win as well as impress them. I think college players see the game differently; most know they will not make it to the pros and want to win for their school and if they make it fine, some are playing to get their free education. Those thousands of young men, in the minors, from all over the world, know the bread and butter lies with making it to the "show" as my son used to say.

There is a huge difference between college baseball and other major college sports. Because baseball does have a minor league program, the kids who don't care about an education sign contracts with professional teams. The kids that choose college usually see their future in the business world. Football and basketball college programs are filled with kids that could care less about their education. This is why I have always wished there was minor leaagues for all sports. Too many athletes are in college that do not belong there and do not want to be there.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:02 PM

11,122 posts, read 12,530,588 times
GO HOGS! I loved going to Baum Stadium. I really hope they do well this season.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:34 AM

72,203 posts, read 83,931,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
GO HOGS! I loved going to Baum Stadium. I really hope they do well this season.
Whether they end up number one or winning the college World Series is a big tast to undertake, but they will be good, if not great, that is for certain. they just keep rolling along..Now, lets see how they stand up when the start playing real teams?

Old 02-23-2013, 01:28 PM

UNM evened their record at 2-2 yesterday with a 7 - 0 win.

It didn't take the Lobos long to strike. CFer Josh Melendez led off the game with a triple and scored on a single by senior catcher Mitch Garver. The single came after an intentional walk to 3B DJ Peterson. Peterson, the Mountain West co-Player of the Year last year, has drawn 1 intentional walk in each of the Lobo's 4 games. Garver is 4-4 with 6 RBI following those intentional walks.

AJ Carman threw 7 shut out innings with 1 walk and 1 K.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:14 PM

23 posts, read 22,779 times
The University of Louisville start the season ranked # 4,best ranking in School history. They took care of Akron, Sunday giving them 4 wins to start the season.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:27 AM

179 posts, read 152,046 times
Nebraska swept a double header with Northern Colorado today to give them their 4th win in a row after starting 0-7. The have a series with Louisiana Tech and then tough road trips to Cal Irvine and Cal State Fullerton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Whether they end up number one or winning the college World Series is a big tast to undertake, but they will be good, if not great, that is for certain. they just keep rolling along..Now, lets see how they stand up when the start playing real teams?
I noticed that Arkansas is in a bit of a slump. Are they dealing with injuries? They play Nebraska next month, although it is unlikely that I will be able to attend. I would like them to be at full strength to see if we have improved since the beginning of the season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball