U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 12:18 PM

8,203 posts, read 13,359,510 times

Advertisements

I'd agree with that.

The Rockies are sitting at 0-2. The streak is done. The Rockies are just the Rockies. I was really hoping for a win last night, but the Sox dominated the game and kept the pressure on till the last pitch.

You can look at your AL dominance all you want, but last night's game was a good one. The NL's best showed that they are professionals too.

The importance of Game 2 in a baseball series is still valid. It goes back to game 2 in Arizona. The Rockies should have lost that game many times. If I'm not mistaken, the Rockies held off many D-Back's rallies in the late innings and WILLED a win to set up the sweep. That's what the Sox did to the Rockies last night, so on paper you say, "Series is over. It's gonna be a sweep."

The Rockies can go out and take game 3. They have to do that. If they don't, this series is going to get ugly.

Either way, the Rockies are going to take the field as the home team in the first ever World Series game at Coors Field. That will be exciting in itself. But Boston will be there too. If the Rockies' bats wake up and their pitchers can find the strike zone and continue their defense, they can take this game Saturday. We've been punched in the mouth, we got up, the rust has been shaken off, now the Rockies can do what they've done most of the year. Despite the streak and coming from the bottom of the pack, I'd noticed that throughout the season- especially since the All Star break- the Rockies took alot of series best 2 of three to teams that they didn't take in past years. Ever. Remember that they were in a pretty tough conference, the NL West. The Dodgers, Padres, and D-Backs made it an uphill struggle from the start.

Kaz, Taveras, Atkins, Hawpe, Tory, Tulo, Smith (I hope), step up and get a hit. Quit trying to crush the ball and hit a homer. This is Coors Field; play small ball. Chop wood, carry water, get some hits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 05:26 AM

262 posts, read 24,482 times
Quote:
redsox are gonna win in a sweep there pitching is too good there offensive is too explosive and now there whole lineup is producing not just manny ortiz and lowel its gonna be a quick painless series
Boy did i call it or what one down in the boston sweep go pats go celtics go BC eagles

Old 10-30-2007, 03:26 PM

285 posts, read 766,569 times
Unbelievable. Talk about a freakin' choke.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:04 PM

7,509 posts, read 11,278,466 times
Juice13610 wrote: Unbelievable. Talk about a freakin' choke.

That's one way of looking at it, but certainly not the only way. IMO, the Rockies are a very good team that ran into a MUCH better team, and the best team won. Let's give the Red Sox the credit they deserve.

blessings...Franco

Old 10-30-2007, 05:07 PM

5,612 posts, read 6,600,810 times
Quote:
Let's give the Red Sox the credit they deserve.
You mean, the credit their massive payroll deserves...

Old 10-30-2007, 05:14 PM

tablemtn: You mean, the credit their massive payroll deserves...

The payroll doesn't win games...the players do. Several other teams with massive payrolls didn't win enough regular season game to make into the playoffs, becasue the players on those teams didn't perform adequately.The RedSox players performed big time. What's so difficult about giving them credit wether they are high paid players or low paid players. They did what they did, regardless of their paychecks. BTW, this is a ROCKIES fan writing.

blessings...Franco

Old 10-30-2007, 05:39 PM

5,612 posts, read 6,600,810 times
Quote:
The payroll doesn't win games...the players do.
Yes, highly-paid players win games. You're right - they don't ALWAYS win games, but obviously money confers an advantage - otherwise, why would the Sox be spending so much?

Old 10-30-2007, 08:49 PM

5,213 posts, read 8,933,614 times
Redneck, I'd rep you for your level-headed observations, only I've already repped you before, too recently for them to let me lob another one your way.

I think you've summed up the payroll issue well. A big budget offers a definite advantage. It would be ridiculous to deny that. But you still have to handle the money effectively to push it over the top.

I also like your counter to the accusations that the Rockies choked. To me, choking means you lose because you just plain blow it, and don't play anwhere near your potential. If you lose because the other guy is just plain better, that's not choking.

As disappointing as it is to lose in the end, the Rockies gave their fans a great season, way better than anyone would have expected. There's so much movement of players from one season to the next that it's always hard to predict what a team's prospects may be, but the Rockies have a core of good young players. It would not be surprising to see them back on top--maybe all the way to the top--very soon.

Congratulations to the Rockies for a fine season, and appreciation again to Redneck for some thoughtful observations.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:56 AM

tablemtn wrote:
Yes, highly-paid players win games. You're right - they don't ALWAYS win games, but obviously money confers an advantage - otherwise, why would the Sox be spending so much?
No doubt about it...a bigger payroll can pay the salaries of the marquee players. On paper anyway that's a big advantage, but we all know that the marquee players don't always produce, and they don't always click together as a team. Oftentimes it is the younger unknown players earning relatively low salaries on realtively low payroll teams that have a break thru season that carries a team into the playoffs. You never know what's going to happen from one season to the next.

As a fan, I tend to root for teams having ownership willing to spend some money ( not necessarily to the degree that the high payroll teams throw money around )to field a competetive team. Many teams out there are content to merely turn a profit. As long as that happens they don't seem to care too much wether or not the team sucks. As much as I have disliked George Steinbrenner over the years, I always admired his willingness to spend money on quality players to build the best team that money can buy. He wants to field a winning team, he wants to win the world series every year...and he's willing to spend the money to do it. I do admire him for that, but I still root against the Yankees!

ogre...Thanks for the positive comments!

blessings...Franco

Old 10-31-2007, 03:46 PM

8,203 posts, read 13,359,510 times
Look at Steinbrenner's net worth and the market that he is in. He's laughing all the way to the bank. It's not his fault that the 212 Million payroll that he dished out is just a drop in the bucket.

This and that free agency system is what separates MLB from other pro sports. The money is there, so why not spend a little of it.

The Rockies experiment has been a rocky rode. They saw 4 million + come through the turnstiles in the first couple of years, but had the Coors Canaveral effect to contend with. Now, with the Humidor in place, you can actually have a regular game in Denver and not just destroy the record books for homeruns and destroy the careers of countless pitchers. The market is there to fill the seats, but that's not the whole picture as to where baseball money comes from. Living in New York, LA, and other various cities throughout the country is another part of it.

Putting a competitive product out there for the fans to watch and turning a profit is probably the goal of most owners in the league, I would think. It's just easier said than done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball