U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 12:20 AM

251 posts, read 376,599 times

Advertisements

Plenty of players on every team still do it. I expect it to be banned during games before too long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 12:54 AM

Location: The back alleys of Hong Kong and sometimes Brussels, Belgium
242 posts, read 223,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
Frank,

I don't think hardly any players chew anymore. When is the last time you watched a baseball game? lol
I know they don't as much anymore, if at all in the pro's, but there was a time when this was a big thing in baseball, and it never made sense to me. Chewing tabacco was never a way to condition yourself for the next at bat or to play an important game coming up. It's cool if you felt this was ok to do it, but the bottom line I'm getting at is that sometimes and most times I mean, people just follow what other people do because it becomes trendy. I see this in a lot of sports, even if I do watch these sports all the time. There's just sometimes when I say to myself, "Why the hell is one of my favorite up and coming players following the crowd and doing as everyone else does even though it doesn't really improve his game?". I chose baseball for this thread because there are lots of things about the sport of baseball that turn people off to it. I'll watch come playoff time or in person at whatever ballpark there is, but I hate sitting through a game at home on the TV like lots of people do.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel88 View Post
Plenty of players on every team still do it. I expect it to be banned during games before too long.
Glad you noticed what I've seen. I don't hate the sport in a way where I think it's dumb or in need of being banned, but I dislike lots of aspects about it such as chewing tabacco because it has no place in sports to swirl a big goob of tabacco around in your mouth and then you beleive you are like the rest of those who chew and spit and therefore it helps you play better. It makes no sense why a tradition like this is respected or followed since tabacco does actually cause health problems.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:00 AM

For me, chewing and spitting tabacco in baseball is like a UFC fighter doing it in his own corner before the next round, just so he looks cool on camera and because he saw someone do this before.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:13 AM

So, I just took a little bathroom break, and tried seeing things from the point of view of people who like or don't have problems with baseball players chewing/spitting tabacco. Here's my theory on why this started after thinking about it for a few minutes on the best toilet this side of the Mississippi...lol

Tell me if I am way off base or not with the following theory. I beleive that way back in the day there was a player that wanted to smoke cigarettes during a baseball game he was involved in, but they told him it wasn't allowed because of how the public and business of baseball would be affected. So, in his own little act of rebellion, the next game came around and he got a pack of tabacco and started chewing and spitting during a game, and other teamates of his followed because they secretly wanted to rebel. Thus, we had lots of people who started doing it in rebellion for something, or to rebel against the man ect...Then it just became something where it looked cool to other players and they did it too.

What do you think of this theory? Or could it have been possible that this is why baseball players started chewing/spitting tabacco?

Old 03-10-2013, 04:19 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,131,091 times
I dislike when every pro player throw a tantrum when they receive a call they don't like but it does not stop me from watching. They make these stupid faces with all kinds of hand gestures. Just accept it and worry about the next play. Players are too busy worrying about that last call, they check out for the rest of the game and then complain about how the official made a bad call. The official may have made a questionable call but what happens next is on them.
Arguing with the official is not going to reverse the call. Players should figure out what they did wrong and make the correction so it does not happen again.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:21 PM

8,121 posts, read 12,697,923 times
A history of baseball and chewing tobacco. - Slate Magazine

The Sports Archives – Why Do Baseball Players Chew Tobacco? | The Sports Archives Blog

Smokeless Tobacco and Baseball: A Short History

Btw, It's "tobacco", not "tabacco".

Old 03-10-2013, 05:21 PM

462 posts, read 335,772 times
Somebody trying real hard to troll with this topic.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:40 PM

251 posts, read 376,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Dux View Post
So, I just took a little bathroom break, and tried seeing things from the point of view of people who like or don't have problems with baseball players chewing/spitting tabacco. Here's my theory on why this started after thinking about it for a few minutes on the best toilet this side of the Mississippi...lol

Tell me if I am way off base or not with the following theory. I beleive that way back in the day there was a player that wanted to smoke cigarettes during a baseball game he was involved in, but they told him it wasn't allowed because of how the public and business of baseball would be affected. So, in his own little act of rebellion, the next game came around and he got a pack of tabacco and started chewing and spitting during a game, and other teamates of his followed because they secretly wanted to rebel. Thus, we had lots of people who started doing it in rebellion for something, or to rebel against the man ect...Then it just became something where it looked cool to other players and they did it too.

What do you think of this theory? Or could it have been possible that this is why baseball players started chewing/spitting tabacco?
I think it was present in the game from day one and probably not a reaction to anything. Joe DiMaggio smoked in the dugout and I have a baseball card or two from the 70's that show players smoking. Those days are long gone, just like tobacco advertising within the ballparks. The only thing left to get rid of is the chew.

I'm waiting for the day when a progressive-minded team gets rid of the candy/Starbucks/Red Bull from the clubhouses, dugouts, and team planes. There are Nascar pit crews with healthier diets than MLB players with $100mil contracts.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:47 PM

13,293 posts, read 12,807,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Dux View Post

I think the same thing of your theory that I think of most theories proposed on City-Data

You've presented absolutely zero evidence supporting your theory so there's zero reason for me to believe it.

Also, good to see you being so original and not following the crowd by posting a troll thread on an internet forum. Nobody does that.

Last edited by filihok; 03-11-2013 at 12:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or