U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 07:01 AM

51,993 posts, read 41,825,420 times

Advertisements

*shrug* Baseball has far far larger problems than chewing tobacco.

In fact, one might argue that it's one of the few things that has gone the right direction (disappearing) for baseball in the last 20 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 09:59 PM

3,039 posts, read 2,168,637 times
When NFL players need to urinate during a game they just go right there in their pants.

Nobody seems to care 'bout that.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:13 PM

41,033 posts, read 18,583,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
When NFL players need to urinate during a game they just go right there in their pants.

Nobody seems to care 'bout that.
If we're talking about the center, I bet the quarterback cares,

Old 03-14-2013, 09:59 AM

462 posts, read 335,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel88 View Post
I think it was present in the game from day one and probably not a reaction to anything. Joe DiMaggio smoked in the dugout and I have a baseball card or two from the 70's that show players smoking. Those days are long gone, just like tobacco advertising within the ballparks. The only thing left to get rid of is the chew.

I'm waiting for the day when a progressive-minded team gets rid of the candy/Starbucks/Red Bull from the clubhouses, dugouts, and team planes. There are Nascar pit crews with healthier diets than MLB players with $100mil contracts.
You do realize that a lot of MLB teams employ chefs to prepare pre game and post game meals for the players, right?

Old 03-16-2013, 02:52 AM

251 posts, read 376,441 times
Yes, which the players eat in addition to the beer served on the team planes, buckets of candy served in the dugouts, cases of cookies and crackers served in the clubhouses, gallons of Starbucks/Red Bull served all day, and shot upon shot of hard liquor given to them free in the clubs.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:23 AM

The majority of clubhouses stopped giving players tobacco several years ago. Many teams have since stopped offering free beer because of the liability issues. The Yankees stopped giving players beer on charter flights back to New York. In addition, teams have replaced junk food in the clubhouse in favor of more healthy options.

Big league teams, when heading on road trips, requests the clubhouse managers remove all of the junk food out of the visiting clubhouse. Now, guys still do bring their own food to the park and drink away from the diamond. However, how the clubhouse is setup in terms of food has dramatically changed.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:41 AM

26,346 posts, read 83,027,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Dux View Post
What I don't get about baseball is why so many players chew and spit tabacco. It makes no sense to me why they do this in baseball, and no other sport. You never see people in football huddles, tennis players, soccer players, or basketball teams chewing tabacco. This is just another reason on my list why I dislike baseball. Anyone else agree or feel the same way about this sport?
It has gotten too expensive for a family to attend a game.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:02 PM

Not if you buy tickets on secondary markets.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:24 PM

13,293 posts, read 12,800,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Not if you make a lot of money
Or budget wisely
Or know how to attend games on the cheap

I'm poor as crap and have chosen not to have a family. I live quite cheaply and I attend lots of games per year.

Priorities.

Not that attending baseball games should be a huge priority for lots of people. It's not really one of my priorities but doing what I want when I want is.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:51 PM

7,836 posts, read 19,579,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Billy Madison - Insanely Idiotic (Academic Decathlon) - YouTube

In Wisconsin BP Gasoline gives you unlimited free tickets for a total of 9 games through their BP come on back club promo. It's a punch card system for fueling up at BP gas stations. 1 punch for 8 gallons of gas, 2 punches for 16 gallons and up. It take 7 punches to fill up one card, 1 card = 1 free ticket.

Last year I got 4 free tickets for 9 games, cost via brewers.com would be $648.00($18ea.) since I filled up at BP they game me a total of 36 tickets for a cost of: $0.00

Not every team does this promo but every team has a ton of promos. Also stubhub, Craigslist, and resale zone areas outside of stadiums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or