U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 07:18 PM

4,847 posts, read 6,361,294 times

Advertisements

At the dawn of each baseball season I find myself devouring baseball films. This year, admittedly, I have been slacking but look to change that. By the end of the month I intend to watch Ken Burns' "Baseball" as it has been a few years since I've watched it.

Right now I am watching The Bad News Bears (1976). It's one of my favorite baseball flicks, it's a classic comedy and a shining example of a film that would never be made in today's Hollywood.

What are some of your favorite baseball films?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 11:56 PM

16,527 posts, read 20,972,483 times
Bondurant! Funny you should mention the Ken Burns documentary, I've been watching each installment for the last several nights and just finished up 1960 to 1970 a bit ago. A couple quotes from this particular decade:

Casey Stengel-- "This kid Koufax, he's the best. Forget that other guy (referring to Walter Johnson.")

Roger Maris-- "All those home runs I hit in that year (1961) just brought me nothing but headaches."

Bob Gibson-- "Actually I'm not surprised by anything I do."

Old 03-18-2013, 03:26 AM

12,199 posts, read 10,416,173 times
Baseball movies are usually right up there with tearjerkers and Tyler Perry movies as some of the most insufferably melodramatic pieces of tripe ever put to film. The only ones I've enjoyed were "Eight Men Out", "Bull Durham" and "Moneyball"...the screwball comedies like "Bingo Long" can be fun too.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:35 AM

26,346 posts, read 82,993,631 times
Pride of the yankees

Old 03-18-2013, 11:40 AM

3,265 posts, read 5,784,563 times
Moneyball is by far my favorite baseball movie. Major League is another favorite. I love Ken Burns' Baseball - can't go wrong with that series.

But, as a note, if anyone wants to watch one of the worst "baseball" movies ever made - search on Netflix for a movie called Chasing 3000. This thing... wow. Wow bad. I couldn't take my eyes off this train wreck. It's about two brothers that want to travel to Pittsburgh to try to catch a glimse of Roberto Clemente's 3000th hit. Oh man. If anyone does watch this based on my horrific memory of it, please post your thoughts on just how bad it really was for you. LOL Oh man.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:02 PM

40,947 posts, read 18,566,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
Moneyball is by far my favorite baseball movie. Major League is another favorite. I love Ken Burns' Baseball - can't go wrong with that series.

But, as a note, if anyone wants to watch one of the worst "baseball" movies ever made - search on Netflix for a movie called Chasing 3000. This thing... wow. Wow bad.
It is evident that you have never seen 1985's "The Slugger's Wife" which isn't just a bad baseball movie, it is a bad anything movie, an astonishingly bad anything movie considering the people involved. It was written by Neil Simon, directed by Hal Ashby and starred Michael O'Keefe and Rebecca De Mornay.

It has received 0% favorable from Rotton Tomatoes.

Some review sampling:
Quote:
Bad dialogue, bad acting, atrocious musical interludes; and this is just in the first 20 minutes
Quote:
I actually felt robbed of two hours of my life. I get angry when I think about the time I wasted watching this movie.
Quote:
Resoundingly unfunny.
The Slugger's Wife - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

It is the story of a player who is on a pace to break the Maris 61 home run record, who falls in love with a nightclub singer. Throughout the movie there is almost no indication that anyone is excited about this..no mob of reporters, no media blitz, the player goes through it all completely undisturbed by fans and the press. It is impossible to accept the skinny, muscle free Michael O' Keefe as any sort of power hitter. It is impossible to give any sort of damn about how the love story works out. The climactic scene where the player breaks the record is god awful. The crowd in the background apparently was told to just try and look like they were continuously cheering and their behavior seems unrelated to the events on the field. There is no change in them at all when the record breaker is supposedly being hit. At all times the crowd looks exactly like what it really was, a bunch of extras being paid to try and look like they are attending a sporting event which actually isn't taking place.

I passed on renting "Chasing 3000" because it had the stench of a real bummer, consequently I have no difficulty believing your critique. You should watch "Slugger's Wife" just to see if it isn't indeed worse.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:21 AM

16,527 posts, read 20,972,483 times
I'm going to go with the HBO film, *61 about the 1961 MLB season which saw Roger maris and Mickey Mantle chasing Babe Ruth's home run record of 60. Only a couple years previous I was really starting to get into baseball as a kid and I remember that year very well. I followed a lot of clubs, not just the Yankees. I grew up in Denver and the Denver Bears were the farm club of the Yankees ('55-'57), the Tigers ('60-'62), and the Twins ('63-'66.) I probably went to thirty games over that span.

Billy Crystal directed the fan and he as a Yankee fan knew all the stuff going on in that season. Thomas Jane portrayed Mickey Mantle and Barry Pepper portrayed Roger Maris. Great movie!

Old 03-21-2013, 07:40 PM

251 posts, read 376,258 times
"61" is the baseball movie done with the most care for sure. I'd love to see Billy Crystal do a film on Ted Williams. The guy who plays the coach from Friday Night Lights (TV) would make a great Williams.

A Jackie Robinson movie is coming out soon. Harrison Ford is in it, not other stars really.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:58 PM

40,947 posts, read 18,566,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel88 View Post
A Jackie Robinson movie is coming out soon. Harrison Ford is in it, not other stars really.
I have to question the choice of Harrison Ford to play Jackie Robinson. He is too old.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:44 PM

251 posts, read 376,258 times
That didn't take long....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or