U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 01:13 AM

3,763 posts, read 3,801,717 times

Advertisements

I don't understand how having 4 teams make the playoffs makes the regular season more meaningful. With only 4 teams making the playoffs, you know by mid July if your team is going to make it or not, and if not, you can simply quit watching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 02:50 PM

21,485 posts, read 11,595,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
There's an article in this months ESPN Magazine that argues that Bud Selig saved baseball. I think the opposite is true. I think Bud Selig has pretty much ruined baseball.

what's he done that is so bad?

1. inter-league play has ruined the baseball season. No more balanced schedules, NL teams unprepared for DH role, and most importantly it has cheapened the allure of the World Series where NL and AL teams would otherwise rarely face each other in meaningful competition.
2. all-star game winner WS home field advantage. This needs no added commentary. It's a joke.
3. Wild card- I HATED the wild card system when it was put in during the 90's and I hate it even more now. When i was a kid baseball was special. Four teams made the playoffs and all four of these teams were great teams. Now 10 teams make the playoffs. Might as well just go the NBA route and make the regular season pointless and just let half the league in.

Baseball has always been about tradition and linking the past to the present. To me too much has changed for this to be possible. The whole narrative of baseball has changed.

Will i watch baseball this year? Now and then. But they lost me as a die-hard fan awhile ago.
I agree with everything you said and I'll add that it would be a better game if the AL scrapped the DH. Scrap interleague play altogether and shorten the season by playing double headers on Saturdays.

No more wildcards, makes the end of the regular season seem like playoffs, sometimes for weeks. Now there's the lame wildcard for the loser team to fall back on. I hardly watch baseball anymore.

Also institute a strict salary cap.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:12 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,499,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
I don't understand how having 4 teams make the playoffs makes the regular season more meaningful. With only 4 teams making the playoffs, you know by mid July if your team is going to make it or not, and if not, you can simply quit watching.
Before the added wild card system maybe a few teams from each league were so bad that they were out of it by mid-july. But it was no different than it is now where a handful of clubs are out of it by mid july.

Before the wild card and inter-league play it was much easier to get back into a pennant race if you were way behind. The reason is all teams played a balanced schedule and played more games within your division.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:13 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,499,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I agree with everything you said and I'll add that it would be a better game if the AL scrapped the DH. Scrap interleague play altogether and shorten the season by playing double headers on Saturdays.

No more wildcards, makes the end of the regular season seem like playoffs, sometimes for weeks. Now there's the lame wildcard for the loser team to fall back on. I hardly watch baseball anymore.

Also institute a strict salary cap.
you had me until the salary cap. Salary caps are terrible for sports leagues and they do nothing to help small market teams.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:02 PM

462 posts, read 335,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post

No more wildcards, makes the end of the regular season seem like playoffs, sometimes for weeks. Now there's the lame wildcard for the loser team to fall back on.

Because of the Wild Card 17 teams were withing three games of a playoff spot last year. If it didn't exist, there would only have been four or five teams with a realistic shot at making the postseason. Are you sure not having Wild Cards would be good for baseball?

Old 04-01-2013, 11:02 PM

13,293 posts, read 12,790,963 times
Quote:
you had me until the salary cap. Salary caps are terrible for sports leagues and they do nothing to help small market teams.
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild100s View Post
Because of the Wild Card 17 teams were withing three games of a playoff spot last year. If it didn't exist, there would only have been four or five teams with a realistic shot at making the postseason. Are you sure not having Wild Cards would be good for baseball?
And this

Old 04-01-2013, 11:09 PM

4,847 posts, read 6,358,168 times
I was reading a book about the '68 Tigers. There was mention at how much quicker games were played at that time. Less commercial breaks and the break between innings was enough to trot off, grab your glove and trot back on. I've never known anything but the tedious pace of the modern game. I'd love to see a faster paced game. It's killed the experience and it could be a factor in low ratings for games on tv.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:12 PM

13,293 posts, read 12,790,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
I've never known anything but the tedious pace of the modern game. I'd love to see a faster paced game. It's killed the experience
How could it have killed the experience if it's the only think you've ever known?

Old 04-01-2013, 11:21 PM

18,677 posts, read 17,060,805 times
Quote:
There's an article in this months ESPN Magazine that argues that Bud Selig saved baseball. I think the opposite is true. I think Bud Selig has pretty much ruined baseball.

what's he done that is so bad?

1. inter-league play has ruined the baseball season. No more balanced schedules, NL teams unprepared for DH role, and most importantly it has cheapened the allure of the World Series where NL and AL teams would otherwise rarely face each other in meaningful competition.
2. all-star game winner WS home field advantage. This needs no added commentary. It's a joke.
3. Wild card- I HATED the wild card system when it was put in during the 90's and I hate it even more now. When i was a kid baseball was special. Four teams made the playoffs and all four of these teams were great teams. Now 10 teams make the playoffs. Might as well just go the NBA route and make the regular season pointless and just let half the league in.
Selig has been awful, but I still love the game.

I wish interleague were cut to 9 games, just 3 with rival.annually.

ASG Selig rule is idiotic. Just use league record in interco. If a tie, home field goes to road team last year.

Wild Card: I have one issue with 2 per league. Kill the 1 game initial round, make each of the first 2 rounds 3 of 5, with a 4 of 7 WS.

I'd also like to see day/night dual admission doubleheaders outlawed. The tv deals are so generous, I do not buy clubs would go broke, after all, even small market teams sell for the prior price plus a double digit % for each year owned, and that tells me, when doing due diligence, the auditors/mgmt, etc do not buy claims of losses incurred, either.

Forbes I believe (or similar mag) showed breakeven attendence a few years ago: The Yankees was a negative #. TV alone covers EVERY expense they have, and leaves some profit.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:23 PM

4,847 posts, read 6,358,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
How could it have killed the experience if it's the only think you've ever known?
I should have went with my instinct and edited the post knowing someone would nitpick the comment.

It's the general perception. The sentiment has been echoed in other things I've read and shared first hand by folks I talk to with opinions that I value and trust that were around before the likes of Bud Selig.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball