U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 03:35 PM

2,423 posts, read 3,139,877 times

Advertisements

For me it's lack of action. I watch more NBA, English Premiere League and Major League soccer matches because baseball got too slow and boring for me. Basketball and soccer are fast and have plenty of action. Pitchers take too much time between pitches and batters step out of the batter's box too often slowing down the game. Another issue I have with baseball as that the TV announcers tend to over analyze and speak too much. I always lower the volume.

-Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 01:22 PM

332 posts, read 651,631 times
The unbalanced schedule drives me crazy. I'm a lifelong fan of the Red Sox, born and raised in Los Angeles. I used to be able to see Boston play in Anaheim three times a year. Now, they come out once for a three, maybe four game set. With at least one interleague game a day, you might as well dissolve the two leagues and merge them into geogrphical divisions. And for crying out loud, make the decision to adopt the DH rule unilaterally or get rid of it. That makes no sense at all.

I loved baseball growing up - Sunday/holiday doubleheaders, day games, no DH, no distractions at the ballpark, etc.

Guess I'm a dinosaur (sigh).

Old 05-27-2013, 05:53 PM

23 posts, read 14,399 times
Not at all. I still love the game.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:01 PM

14,253 posts, read 23,969,886 times
I would have responded earlier but I wanted to read the entire thread before posting.

Baseball is a LOT like Starbucks. Starbucks used to pretty much have one coffee which was dark roasted and strong. A lot of people liked the product and were willing to pay a premium to the other coffees that were on the market. Whereas in the past, people were only willing to pay $1 for a coffee, Starbucks was able to get people to pay $2-3. Starbucks was also willing to make it your way. And they were successful to open several thousand outlets.

Then someone heard that some people did NOT like Starbucks coffee. It was "Charbucks", burnt and whatever. So they added Folgers, oops, I mean the Pikes Street Roast. When even that was not week enough, they added dishwater, oops, I mean Blonde Roast for those who want no flavor.

With all the changes, you cannot order the traditional dark roast after Noon in many locations. For all of those who built the franchise better hit the door early if we want coffee our way.

======

Baseball is pretty much the same way. In the past 40 years, MLB has done everything that they can to dilute the product.

In the past, we used to get some great pitching duels (remember Lolich vs. Gibson) and the like. Well, lower the pitching mounds to stimulate more hitting.

Add the DL so that you can keep those players who can't play the field. That leads to more high scoring games.

Then close your eyes to steroids and other performance enhancing drugs. Didn't it look kind of goofy when Davey Johnson went from a career high of 18 home runs in 1971 to 45 in 1973? Or Brady Anderson from 16 in 1995 to 51 in 1996? (And those were before most of the steroid scandals.)

MLB is more interested in creating a circus that will draw people than in developing and catering to true baseball fans.

End of rant.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:41 PM

3,240 posts, read 3,284,128 times
I could care less about all star home field advantage and wild cards. I got used to interleague plays, better value for the fan seeing it in regular season for regular prices. I live in DC and get to see my Orioles without trekking up to Baltimore.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:52 AM

5,985 posts, read 3,735,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post

Some change is inevitable and I get that we romanticize the era of baseball we grew up under. But some changes to the game have just gone too far in my opinion. Inter-league play really annoys me and it annoys me to the point that I'm really no longer a fan of MLB because of it.
Your comment strikes a chord with me. I'm not yet totally disenchanted but am at the point where my pre-expansion Strat-O-Matic league is more interesting than the game of today.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:39 PM

11,434 posts, read 6,394,116 times
The pitcher's dominance makes watching baseball less enjoyable. I remember that baseball had so much energy in the late 2000's, but now it's all 2-1 and 1-0 games :/

Old 06-03-2013, 09:33 PM

2,716 posts, read 2,612,646 times
I love Baseball.
I miss the when the all star game was meaningless and guys were just out there having fun.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:56 PM

3,718 posts, read 4,783,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
There's an article in this months ESPN Magazine that argues that Bud Selig saved baseball. I think the opposite is true. I think Bud Selig has pretty much ruined baseball.

what's he done that is so bad?

1. inter-league play has ruined the baseball season. No more balanced schedules, NL teams unprepared for DH role, and most importantly it has cheapened the allure of the World Series where NL and AL teams would otherwise rarely face each other in meaningful competition.
2. all-star game winner WS home field advantage. This needs no added commentary. It's a joke.
3. Wild card- I HATED the wild card system when it was put in during the 90's and I hate it even more now. When i was a kid baseball was special. Four teams made the playoffs and all four of these teams were great teams. Now 10 teams make the playoffs. Might as well just go the NBA route and make the regular season pointless and just let half the league in.

Baseball has always been about tradition and linking the past to the present. To me too much has changed for this to be possible. The whole narrative of baseball has changed.

Will i watch baseball this year? Now and then. But they lost me as a die-hard fan awhile ago.

I went through all seven pages and I did not see a post that you made in regards to how you'd make baseball more enjoyable you and all others to watch.

Can you please make one? Besides fixing what you listed that you don't like, what other stuff would you change?

Old 06-24-2013, 12:05 PM

3,718 posts, read 4,783,394 times
Do any of you think that there are an over-abundance of minor league teams? If so, why?

If you don't agree, then why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball