U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 10:23 AM

3,281 posts, read 5,795,794 times

Advertisements

Surprised to see everyone's exhausting love affair with Texas for the AL Wild Card. Someone want to go out on a limb? lol I think their downturn toward the end of last season was fairly predictable and think they've lost a lot more than they've gained this offseason while other AL teams - Cleveland, Chicago, Oakland, and 2-3 of the AL East teams all appear like legitimate contenders for the Wild Card spots. I'd personally much prefer a newcomer like Toronto, Cleveland, or Kansas City introduce themselves as ready and able to overtake Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 10:24 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,724,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Where can I put down large sums of money on the over?
It's only an estimate and Bobby Valentine was only small reason why they were terrible last year.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:36 AM

1,248 posts, read 3,087,975 times
AMERICAN LEAGUE

AL EAST

Rays

Yankees (Wild Card)

Orioles

Blue Jays

Red Sox

The Yankees are the Yankees. Yeah, they have a ****-ton of problems, but they still have more money than everyone (possible exception being the Dodgers). They’ll have a terrible April and May, but will methodically work their way past .500 as the season progresses.

I hate this division because I don’t trust any of the above teams to play consistently enough throughout the regular season for there to be a clear cut contender. September will be interesting, if only to see who still cares enough to try and make it to the postseason.

AL CENTRAL

Tigers

Indians

White Sox

Twins

Royals

The Royals were great in Spring Training, but that’s completely meaningless. Expect the Tigers to run roughshod over the rest of the teams in the American League’s weakest division.

The Indians will be somewhat improved thanks to Francona’s management. Also: I really wish the Reds dumped Dusty and brought him in instead…at least Francona’s shown he can win when it’s important. Anyway, the Tribe has another year or two before they can make a run for the division title.

AL WEST

Athletics

Rangers (Wild Card)

Angels

Mariners

Astros

We’ve been here before: The Angels pick up a huge acquisition in the offseason thanks to free agency, but because Mike Scioscia’s been a manager three years too many, they start sluggish again and can’t make up the difference in time to become eligible for the postseason.

The Reds and Cardinals are both going to seriously miss beating the **** out of the Astros, but their losses are Oakland and Texas’ gains.

AL PLAYOFFS

AL Wild Card:

Rangers over Yankees

AL Divisional Series:

Rays over Rangers

Tigers over Athletics

AL Championship Series:

Tigers over Rays

NATIONAL LEAGUE

NL EAST

Nationals

Braves (Wild Card)

Phillies

Marlins

Mets

The NL East is the best division in baseball thanks to Washington and Atlanta, but the rest of the division is worthless. The Phillies are shells of their former selves and the only reason the Marlins aren’t in last place is because the Mets somehow always manage to suck worse than expected.

NL CENTRAL

Cardinals

Reds

Brewers

Pirates

Cubs

I’m probably going against the grain here (and I’m a notoriously self-loathing Reds fan), but while I think the Reds look great on paper, I have a suspicion there’s too much strife in the clubhouse after the PR disaster over Aroldis Chapman’s destiny for them to replicate what they did last season. More on that in a second.

Look, I hate the Cardinals, but that’s primarily because they are a successful, consistent and well-run ballclub that has won before and will win again before the Reds ever catch a whiff of postseason success. They’re a step above everyone else in what’s arguably baseball’s worst division.

The Brewers are potential sleepers which could make the last few months of the season interesting for the Cards and Reds.

NL WEST

Giants

Dodgers (Wild Card)

Diamondbacks

Rockies

Padres

The Giants go back to the postseason, and the Dodgers scare the ever loving crap out of me. I know they’re banged up right now, and they’ll have a terrible start because of that, but once everyone gets healthy…watch out. In a league that’s already loaded with talent, the Dodgers are the ones that worry me most heading into October when everything’s gelling at the right time.

NL PLAYOFFS:

NL Wild Card:

Dodgers over Braves

NL Divisional Series:

Nationals over Dodgers, in what will probably be the most entertaining series of the postseason.

Giants over Cardinals

NL Championship Series:

Nationals over Giants

WORLD SERIES

Nationals over Tigers

Old 03-31-2013, 12:42 PM

41,198 posts, read 18,619,681 times
Here are 43 more guesses from the staff at ESPN

ESPN's expert team predictions for 2013 baseball season - ESPN

As with most of the predictions here, these are all slight reworkings of how everyone finished last year.

The ESPNers also forecast the awards for the 2013 season:
http://espn.go.com/mlb/preview13/sto...aseball-season
...and again it is mostly a list of the players who were contenders for the awards last season.....with an amusing exception. Alex Cora predicts that the 2013 NL MVP will be...........................Ryan Howard. I wonder if Alex is a betting man...

Also, Dan Shulman predicts the NL MVP will be....Allen Craig.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:57 PM

3,281 posts, read 5,795,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post

Nice find. Jim Bowden had the absolute most boring, predictable choices of most of the panel. Yawn. Go out there on a limb like Stephania Bell! Post-trades or not, a Toronto world series pick is pretty gutsy.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:01 PM

41,198 posts, read 18,619,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
Nice find. Jim Bowden had the absolute most boring, predictable choices of most of the panel. Yawn. Go out there on a limb like Stephania Bell! Post-trades or not, a Toronto world series pick is pretty gutsy.
Well, I know what you mean but I cannot bring myself to view any sort of sports forecasting as "gutsy" unless these folks are backing their oraculations with money. I don't think anyone is ever held accountable for their flubbed predictions save gamblers.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:08 PM
Status: "Waving a sign that reads John 3:16" (set 3 days ago)

16,391 posts, read 8,924,600 times
Tampa Bay will win the World Series.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:00 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,087,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post

As with most of the predictions here, these are all slight reworkings of how everyone finished last year.
Looks like that, for the most part, ESPN's coastal bias strikes again. I swear that to most of the Worldwide Leaders' reporters, no sports exist east of I-5 or west of I-95.

Then again, I can't say I disagree with most of their picks. I think the Nationals win it all this year.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:41 PM

13,293 posts, read 12,813,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
NL CY: Clayton Kershaw
So far, so good.

9 IP, 4 hits, 0 walks, 7 K's

And a homerun.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?c_...me_pk%3D346753

Last edited by filihok; 04-01-2013 at 05:51 PM..

Old 04-01-2013, 07:13 PM

13,293 posts, read 12,813,314 times
Too slow to add the gif

So, here it is

http://filihok.blogspot.com/2013/04/...me-412013.html
Quote:
Clayton Kershaw had a good game.

You can never say that one player "singlehandedly beat" another team. But...

Kershaw: 9 IP, 4 hits, 0 ER, 0 walks, 7 K's.

and this

A go-ahead solo homerun.

Kershaw had .753 points of WPA today. His contributions produced about 75% of a win.

How good is that?
If he did that every start this season he'd produce about 25 wins for the Dodgers.

How good is that?
Last season, in the whole season, 247 players produced more than .753 WPA. Kershaw did it in 9 innings.

Last edited by filihok; 04-01-2013 at 07:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball