U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 12:14 PM

3,281 posts, read 5,795,794 times

Advertisements

Few thoughts on the early games:

1. Absolutely loved seeing the Astros beat the Rangers last night. I predict the Rangers won't be making the playoffs and definitely enjoyed seeing the underdog win. Good for my A's.

2. Can you believe Texas gave $120 million to Andrus, who was once rumored to be traded to Arizona? I heard an interesting idea that as good as Profar may become, trading him instead of Andrus, could be most benficial for Texas. One site had proposed Profar going to St. Louis for OF prospect Oscar Tavares. Interesting idea.

3. C.C.'s fastball is 88-89mph according the gun at Yankee Stadium. Didn't have a good 2nd inning. Yankees could be in for a disappointing season.

4. I liked how ESPN was introducing all of Boston's key new-comers: Mike Napoli, Shane Victorino, Jonny Gomes, Stephen Drew, etc, and then they introduce New York's new-comer: Vernon Wells. Underwhelming reaction from me, of course.

5. Everyone will be raving about Jackie Bradley's 1st inning walk and run scored, but he could have just as easily have been struck out on C.C.'s 1-2 pitch that was narrowly called a ball. His swing on the 0-1 pitch inside looked horrendous and he probably should have been struck out on the aforementioned 1-2 pitch, nullifying his walk/run. In his 2nd at-bat in the 4th inning, he was struck out on 3 pitches and again, looked horrible on the inside 2-seem fastball. Kid can't hit the inside pitch. Let's hold off on calling him a Superstar yet, ESPN Broadcasters.

6. As much as I hate to admit it, Bryce Harper is good. I can't explain why I hate everything about the Washington Nationals, but I do.

7. I didn't expect Jeff Samardijza to be Chicago's opening day starter. Looks good so far, though.

8. I have A's - Mariners tickets for tonight! Let's go Oakland!

Last edited by llowllevellowll; 04-01-2013 at 12:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 12:46 PM

41,194 posts, read 18,619,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Today's opening day for most teams.

Bryce Harper just unleahed a rocket home run. Kid's gonna be good.
And another blast in the 4th.

Harper now on a pace for 324 home runs and 324 RBI.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:51 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,367,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
First close call of the year....first replay....first umpire error. Altuve beat the tag.
The next close play was also a blown call, on Maxwell's "catch". 0-for-2.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The next close play was also a blown call, on Maxwell's "catch". 0-for-2.
Right, the trapped ball which was ruled an out.

More evidence for the replay debate.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:04 PM

Sabathia has thrown 102 pitches in five innings....four runs, eight hits, four walks, five strikeouts.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:12 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,293,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post

6. As much as I hate to admit it, Bryce Harper is good. I can't explain why I hate everything about the Washington Nationals, but I do.
I didn't know anyone hated the Nats. The only thing they have ever won was the NL East last year, so it isn't like they have had a ton of success. They suffered a lot in their first seven seasons, and they have gotten better through smart moves and being so terrible that they got the first pick in two successive drafts which were luckily Stras and Bryce. They have a nice (but not flashy) ballpark right in town so people can get to the games by walking or taking the Metro. Give them some love!

Old 04-01-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
I didn't know anyone hated the Nats. The only thing they have ever won was the NL East last year, so it isn't like they have had a ton of success. They suffered a lot in their first seven seasons, and they have gotten better through smart moves and being so terrible that they got the first pick in two successive drafts which were luckily Stras and Bryce. They have a nice (but not flashy) ballpark right in town so people can get to the games by walking or taking the Metro. Give them some love!
I actually know a decent amount of folks that don't like them too well. Below are a few of my reasons for why I root against them:

For me, the mismanagement of Stephen Strasburg was distasteful. I like a front office with a plan, and they didn't have one last season. It has been talked about an nauseum and really no reason to regurgitate it, but they should have been limiting his innings throughout the season instead of thoughtlessly and very simply cutting off his season. Poor front office beaurocratic management. Clearly they got the hint this season since they decided to take him out after 80 pitches despite the shutout. But they blew a big opportunity in the playoffs and that's their fault. What's respectable about a front office making such a beurocratic blunder?

I have visited 18 of the 32 MLB ballparks and actually found their ballpark to be one of the more disappointing venues of the new ballparks lacking character with what felt to me like unnecessary quirks/oddities. It's just a very average ballpark with very little memorable cache outside of the Presidents' Run, which is terrific.

And who couldn't love when they put 3 new players out on the field with the word NATIONALS spelled incorrectly? lol Even Nationals fans like Tony Kornheiser refers to them as the Natinals.

Two that only I will relate to:

- I enjoyed seeing baseball in Montreal and was rather disappointed when they moved. Moreover, I was begging for them to become the Senators again, and couldn't stand their new name, especially when they couldn't spell it correctly.

- In Baseball Mogul 2013, my Atlanta Braves franchise kept getting run over by the fictional Nationals in the NLDS. Now if that's not the best reason, I don't know what is.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:45 PM

Carlos Gonzalez just went yard in Milwaukee. It was both his first home run of the season and his 100th of his young career. If I could take back that trade that sent him from Oakland in the Matt Holliday deal, I most certainly would.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:53 PM

What is with the Dodger's musical selections for today? The Giants were just introduced in the OD ceremonies and throughout the organist was wailing away with a skating rink rendition of Anthony Newley's "On A Wonderful Day Like Today" and it went on for about seven or eight minutes.

They have some kettle drum and french horn semi-rock number playing for the intro of the Dodgers.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:57 PM

72,108 posts, read 83,786,659 times
Good for the Astros, but anyone who is thinking World Series is just living in a dream world right now. Let's see how the season plays out. Right now, I am going to go turn on the tube and watch my Dodgers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball