U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 02:23 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,296,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
I actually know a decent amount of folks that don't like them too well. Below are a few of my reasons for why I root against them:

For me, the mismanagement of Stephen Strasburg was distasteful. I like a front office with a plan, and they didn't have one last season. It has been talked about an nauseum and really no reason to regurgitate it, but they should have been limiting his innings throughout the season instead of thoughtlessly and very simply cutting off his season. Poor front office beaurocratic management. Clearly they got the hint this season since they decided to take him out after 80 pitches despite the shutout. But they blew a big opportunity in the playoffs and that's their fault. What's respectable about a front office making such a beurocratic blunder?

I have visited 18 of the 32 MLB ballparks and actually found their ballpark to be one of the more disappointing venues of the new ballparks lacking character with what felt to me like unnecessary quirks/oddities. It's just a very average ballpark with very little memorable cache outside of the Presidents' Run, which is terrific.

And who couldn't love when they put 3 new players out on the field with the word NATIONALS spelled incorrectly? lol Even Nationals fans like Tony Kornheiser refers to them as the Natinals.

Two that only I will relate to:

- I enjoyed seeing baseball in Montreal and was rather disappointed when they moved. Moreover, I was begging for them to become the Senators again, and couldn't stand their new name, especially when they couldn't spell it correctly.

- In Baseball Mogul 2013, my Atlanta Braves franchise kept getting run over by the fictional Nationals in the NLDS. Now if that's not the best reason, I don't know what is.
Thanks for taking the time to give me an in-depth response. And I can see where you are coming from on some of those. My thoughts:

1. I actually liked it that a team put the health of its star ahead of short-term gain. They played Stras full speed at the beginning of the season, and if they hadn't done that, maybe they never would have been in the playoffs to begin with.

2. I agree that Nats park is a bit lacking in character. And certainly from the outside it is a bit bland. But I appreciate that it is actually in town and for me that connection with the city trumps the fact that the ballpark doesn' have as many quirks as some other places. I contrast that with (for example) Turner Field which I think is a beautiful ballpark but is south of Atlanta and not easily accessible by anything but car. Of course the ideal situation is something like Camden, Wrigley, or AT&T where the ballpark itself is great AND it is in town.

3. To me the "Natinals" thing is actually a reason to like them. I always like seeing a team that has been terrible and/or embarrassing rise up to be a competitor.

And finally I agree with you that it sucks when teams get relocated. I absolutely hate to see teams move around the country and dilute their history. I was living in DC when the Nats arrived and was thrilled to have them, but I certainly feel bad for fans in Montreal. Same way I think Seattle fans got robbed and I would like to see them with a new team, but not at the expense of Sacramento. That is just a crappy part of pro sports.

Happy Opening Day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 03:08 PM
Status: "Come to Texas. We still have plastic straws!" (set 3 days ago)

47,045 posts, read 37,173,368 times
There's a great interleague game going on today that definitely bears interest, and that's the Angels visiting the Reds. Two contending teams within their respective divisions (AL West and NL Central). That should be a good series and one that should not be overlooked. Bottom 3 at this writing, and the Angels are ahead, 1-0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Good for the Astros, but anyone who is thinking World Series is just living in a dream world right now. Let's see how the season plays out. Right now, I am going to go turn on the tube and watch my Dodgers.
Hey, let's not put down the Astros' great effort last night. It's a great start, but they still have a ways to go to contend. Last year, we predicted the Orioles and A's wouldn't go anywhere and we all saw how that turned out, so anything's possible. I predicted your Dodgers would win the World Series this season (against the Angels), so we'll see how they do with a talent-laden lineup. No score right now in L.A. against the Giants. Stay tuned.

Quote:
And who couldn't love when they put 3 new players out on the field with the word NATIONALS spelled incorrectly? lol Even Nationals fans like Tony Kornheiser refers to them as the Natinals.
We've arrived in dumbed-down America, and baseball apparently isn't an exception, either. Wonder if that fubar is on video??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
First close call of the year....first replay....first umpire error. Altuve beat the tag.
Imagine if the umps had actually called it right. No matter, though. Houston'll take the win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Nationals open with a 3 games against the Marlins at home, starting Monday afternoon. Anything less then a sweep is embarrassing, these games against the AAAA Marlins are games we can ill afford to give away. After that our next 3 series are: @ Cincinnati (3 games) then home series against the White Sox (3 games) and the Braves (3 games) which make those 3 games against the Marlins to start much more important.
A 2-0 victory in Game 1 can make Nats fans breathe easily. Any time a team gets a shutout in the opener, it's a boost for the pitching staff. Definitely a must-win series for Washington, and they need a fast start in the NL East.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:19 PM

3,290 posts, read 5,803,855 times
Okay, my official favorite moment of Opening Day 2013:

Clayton Kershaw hitting a solo home run to dead center field to break the 0-0 tie in the bottom of the 8th inning while throwing a shutout vs the Giants. Now that's baseball.

Fans at Dodger Stadium are electric.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:33 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,100,983 times
Quote:
Okay, my official favorite moment of Opening Day 2013:

Clayton Kershaw hitting a solo home run to dead center field to break the 0-0 tie in the bottom of the 8th inning while throwing a shutout vs the Giants. Now that's baseball.

Fans at Dodger Stadium are electric.

Couldn't write a better script.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:46 PM

13,293 posts, read 12,826,503 times
Watching the Mariners and A's.

King Felix sharp through 7+ then he leaves with the A's threatening.

Mariners up 2 - 0 in the bottom of the 8th. Runner on 2nd with 2 outs.
Coco Crisp up.
Mariners bring in lefty Charlie Furbush to pitch.
At this moment, according to win probability, the A's have like a 10% chance of winning the game.
They also have Chris Young on the bench.

Crisp is a career .323 wOBA hitter vs lefties. 4% less than league average
Young is a career .373 wOBA hitter vs lefties. 24% better than league average

Why wouldn't they bring in Young to hit?

Crisp manages to draw a walk while I'm typing that up.

Now, the A's have 2 on, 2 out, down 2 in the bottom of the 8th. They now have about a 13% chance of winning.

John Jaso is up.

Jaso is a career .257 wOBA hitter vs lefties. 39% worse than average
Do they bring in Young? No.
They bring in Derrick Norris. Norris only has a tad over 200 major league PA's so it's hard to say what his platoon spilt is, but, he's almost certainly not as good of a hitter as Young.

Projections on Fangraphs have him hitting .222/.316/.390
Compared to Chris Young's projections of .237/.324/.416

Seems to be poor managing by Melvin

A's don't score.

To the 9th.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:50 PM

41,320 posts, read 18,652,312 times
Kershaw's was the top performance among what has proved to be an outstanding opening day for many starters. Cain threw seven shutout innings in the loss to LA. Felix Hernandez just finished 7 2.3 shutout innings against the A's. Cueto and Weaver staged a pitching duel in Cincinnati. Strasburg seven shutout innings. Sale and Shields a shutout pitchers duel in Chicago. Several other excellent performances, the aces were earning their paychecks today.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:54 PM

13,293 posts, read 12,826,503 times
Quote:
Kershaw's was the top performance among what has proved to be an outstanding opening day for many starters. Cain threw seven shutout innings in the loss to LA. Felix Hernandez just finished 7 2.3 shutout innings against the A's. Cueto and Weaver staged a pitching duel in Cincinnati. Strasburg seven shutout innings. Sale and Shields a shutout pitchers duel in Chicago. Several other excellent performances, the aces were earning their paychecks today.
Yankees ace, CC Sabathia, 5 IP, 8 hits, 4 earned runs, 4 walks, 5 K's.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:01 PM

41,320 posts, read 18,652,312 times
Nine of the ten teams which qualified for the post season in 2012 have now opened. (Baltimore starts tomorrow) The nine teams went 3-6 today, wins by the Braves, Tigers and Nationals, losses by the Giants, Reds, Cardinals, A's, Rangers and Yankees.

The A's dropped their ninth consecutive Opening Day game tonight.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:43 AM

3,290 posts, read 5,803,855 times
Quote:
The A's dropped their ninth consecutive Opening Day game tonight.
Part of the problem is that we keep having to face King Felix! We've played Seattle the last 4 seasons! Bah!

Old 04-02-2013, 01:20 AM

251 posts, read 377,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
I didn't know anyone hated the Nats. The only thing they have ever won was the NL East last year, so it isn't like they have had a ton of success. They suffered a lot in their first seven seasons, and they have gotten better through smart moves and being so terrible that they got the first pick in two successive drafts which were luckily Stras and Bryce. They have a nice (but not flashy) ballpark right in town so people can get to the games by walking or taking the Metro. Give them some love!
I wouldn't say I hate the Nat's but I definitely know a doomed team in the making when I see one. When you're blessed with the two best consecutive draft picks of all time you don't mess with the baseball gods by benching one of them. The Red Sox had tons of great players for 86 years and still couldn't get it done. The Nats somehow think they'll win more by not playing their best guys though. Good luck with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball