U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-01-2013, 08:24 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn,NY
1,961 posts, read 4,306,505 times
Reputation: 1190

Advertisements

I went to a really good game. Mets won 11-2. Great pitching by Niese and great hitting by Byrd and Cowgill. The Mets always had trouble hitting grandslams. Look what happened, a grand slam in the 1st game of the season. Unbelieveable. I took a lot of pics at the stadium. I was near the SNY booth with my friend. He interns for SNY. I met Mookie Wilson, Bobby O, Bobby V,Gary Cohen,John Franco, Keith Hernandez and Chris Carlin. They are really nice people.

This is where I sat.





















Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-04-2013, 07:04 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn,NY
1,961 posts, read 4,306,505 times
Reputation: 1190
Another nice win. Harvey looks like an ace. He has great stuff. Huge homeruns by Duda and Davis. That's what I like to see from them. Buck and Byrd keeps on hitting. Great to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2013, 07:40 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn,NY
1,961 posts, read 4,306,505 times
Reputation: 1190
Great pitching by Gee. Too bad the offense was sleeping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2013, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Salisbury,NC
10,633 posts, read 4,434,108 times
Reputation: 4708
The Mets look like they can make a run. Most days the offense should be good. Still worry about Bullpen. I think Parnell will do just fine, will rest of pen be able to get game to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2013, 03:32 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn,NY
1,961 posts, read 4,306,505 times
Reputation: 1190
Mets win it in the bottom of the 9th thanks to a 2 run double by Marlon Byrd


Bird is the Word! | FAMILY GUY | FOX BROADCASTING - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2013, 04:46 PM
 
Location: Warren County, NJ
709 posts, read 808,979 times
Reputation: 1088
Amazing,right.I haven't followed them long only about 3 years now and I am becoming optimistic here.They seem a little more aggressive this season and it seems to be paying off.That was a great ending to today's game
I am glad I found this thread.I was on my way here to start one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2013, 10:47 PM
 
Location: NJ
18,677 posts, read 17,088,173 times
Reputation: 7282
I'm not concerned about 2013 but I like some of what I am seeing. Once Wheeler comes up, I like our front 4, which by 2015 will be , I suspect Wheeler or Harvey, followed by the other one, Niese 3rd, Gee 4th.

I'm upbeat on Davis, don't care about BA. 32 dingers last year with valley fever should mean 40 or so at peak. Add 30 for Duda, once he peaks, assuming he can be just not horrible in field. Add in Murphy, love the new aggressive style. Add in D'amaud when he arrives. And Tejada will be a steady, non flashy reliable SS.

Of course, Wright will still be a good player for years to come.

The bullpen will have to be improved, but it is the least consistent part of any team.

So overall, I like our long-term trendline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2013, 05:58 AM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
13,293 posts, read 12,809,480 times
Reputation: 6637
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I'm upbeat on Davis, don't care about BA. 32 dingers last year with valley fever should mean 40 or so at peak. Add 30 for Duda, once he peaks, assuming he can be just not horrible in field.
This seems...pretty optimistic.

Davis is 26 this season. Just hitting his peak offensive years.

According to this article, he can actually expect power decreases from this point on.

Quote:
The composite projection for Davis from projections available on FanGraphs have Davis hitting:
.259/.344/.488 this year with 28 home runs and 2.7 WAR in 568 PAs. As seen above, we can actually expect slight declines in Davis' power from this point onwards. He may get to 40 HRs, but it's not likely.

Using the same method I've used for other players, I get Davis producing about 17 WAR (worth $97 million) over the next 6 seasons.

Here's a list of 1B ranked by WAR over the last 6 seasons.

Guys who have produced about 17 WAR in 6 seasons are:
Lance Berkman - 20
Carlos Pena - 15.3
Derek Lee - 14.4

That's the kind of player that I expect Davis to be.


As for Duda. He's 27 this year. Also at the point where we shouldn't expect too much more offensively than what we've seen.

Projections on FanGraphs have him hitting .257/.343/.438 with 18 HRs worth 1.1 WAR in 519 PA's. Duda's a good hitter, but defense saps most of his value. In his career:
15 runs from hitting, -5 from base running, -37 from defense, 27 replacement runs and -11 for position.

His offensive contributions are entirely wiped out by his poor defense.


Quote:
Add in Murphy, love the new aggressive style. Add in D'amaud when he arrives. And Tejada will be a steady, non flashy reliable SS.
Murphy's a nice role player. Nothing more.
D'Arnaud looks like a solid young catcher, same for Tejada except at SS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2013, 07:45 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn,NY
1,961 posts, read 4,306,505 times
Reputation: 1190
Being a year older doesn't mean that his numbers will go downhill from here. Davis needs to be more patient at the plate, just like Duda. They can be 30+ homer guys if they lay off a lot of bad pitches. I like this team a lot. The starting rotation is good but not there yet. Harvey,Niese,Gee, ?- ?. Marcum will be back soon and Wheeler most likely this summer. John Buck is doing a good job so far this season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2013, 11:04 AM
 
Location: NJ
18,677 posts, read 17,088,173 times
Reputation: 7282
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
This seems...pretty optimistic.

Davis is 26 this season. Just hitting his peak offensive years.

According to this article, he can actually expect power decreases from this point on.



The composite projection for Davis from projections available on FanGraphs have Davis hitting:
.259/.344/.488 this year with 28 home runs and 2.7 WAR in 568 PAs. As seen above, we can actually expect slight declines in Davis' power from this point onwards. He may get to 40 HRs, but it's not likely.

Using the same method I've used for other players, I get Davis producing about 17 WAR (worth $97 million) over the next 6 seasons.

Here's a list of 1B ranked by WAR over the last 6 seasons.

Guys who have produced about 17 WAR in 6 seasons are:
Lance Berkman - 20
Carlos Pena - 15.3
Derek Lee - 14.4

That's the kind of player that I expect Davis to be.


As for Duda. He's 27 this year. Also at the point where we shouldn't expect too much more offensively than what we've seen.

Projections on FanGraphs have him hitting .257/.343/.438 with 18 HRs worth 1.1 WAR in 519 PA's. Duda's a good hitter, but defense saps most of his value. In his career:
15 runs from hitting, -5 from base running, -37 from defense, 27 replacement runs and -11 for position.

His offensive contributions are entirely wiped out by his poor defense.



Murphy's a nice role player. Nothing more.
D'Arnaud looks like a solid young catcher, same for Tejada except at SS.
I disagree somewhat, as Davis had valley fever last year..still managed 32, and doctors were not too sure how he would be for a full season. Duda has more raw power than Davis, which should allow for home runs the other way, something Davis does not get many of.

I do think Murphy fills a role, but with an above average BA, and I would expect his 6 HR 2012 to be his worst.

As for Duda's defense, yes it is bad, but not as tragic as it has been if he positions better (that is increasing the problem). He is far too close to the line, and our young CFs at the same time are often shaded to Right CF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top