U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2015, 01:24 AM

6,547 posts, read 4,497,941 times

Advertisements

Jay 2 @ Yankees 1 (10 innings).

Pitching gem between R.A. Dickey and Nathan Eovaldi. Donaldson homered in the first, Teixeira tied the game in the second, and Dickey & Eovaldi took over from there. Bautista got the game-winner in the 10th after both teams worked out of scoring chances. Price gets his second Jays start. He's been hit around by the Yankees the past couple years but this team is on such a role now that even if Price should give up 8 or 9 runs, they'll score 10 runs to get the win. Whether it's another pitchers duel, or a shootout, just pick up another win! Game time scheduled for 1:05.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 08:59 AM

25,854 posts, read 13,436,135 times
Default 60-52

Jays 6 @ Yankees 0

David Price allowed only 3 hits through 7 and Justin Smoak belted Toronto's first ever grand salami in the Bronx as the Jays closed to within 2.5 games of the Yanks.

That's 7 in a row for the blue birds and there's little doubt this team is on a mission. Tulowitzki also homered and the Jays have won 10 of 11 since he arrived.

Toronto has a chance to sweep this afternoon. That would be sweet.

Old 08-09-2015, 06:49 PM

Default 61-52

Jays 2 @ Yankees 0.

Donaldson homered again in the first, and Joey Bats homered in the 4th. The Yankees fan, who caught Bautista's home run threw the ball back and the fan hit Yankees LF Brett Gardner in the back on the throw which was pretty funny. That's why we keep home run balls, don't hit your own players!!

Jays are off Monday, before opening up a 3 game series with the Oakland A's who just finished winning 3 of 4 against the Astros. Scheduled pitching matchup is Kendall Gravemen, the ex-Jays farmhand who was part of the Lawrie/Donaldson trade starting for the A's with Drew Hutchinson taking the ball for the Jays. Game time slated for 7:07 PM.

Btw, sorry for stealing your game recaps Troutdude

Old 08-10-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
...snip...
Btw, sorry for stealing your game recaps Troutdude
Don't be. Saves me some typing.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:46 PM

41,049 posts, read 18,589,435 times
I have not had much of an opportunity to see the Jays in action this season, so I'm looking forward to the series against Oakland which will be televised here.

I'm rarely vindicated so rapidly by events, but as I was trying to explain in the trade deadline thread, the Jays in all probability are the best team in the AL. Their luck has at last turned around and this recent winning streak came as no surprise to me, I was expecting their fortunes to change, not so quickly and completely as it has done, but that it would change for them.

Since my last analysis of the team's poor luck, they have gone 6-1 in one run games, improving their season record to 12-23. They have improved their run differential to plus 129, passing the Cardinals (plus 121) as the best mark in baseball.

I suspect that if the Jays continue to play well and wind up winning the division or at least making the post season, people will be pointing to the deadline acquisitions as the key to their turnaround. While those pickups have made them better, they really have been this good all along, they just were having rotten fortune in the distribution of their runs.

In their last dozen games where they have gone 11-1, they have outscored the opposition 67-32. Insert those numbers into the Pythag formula and it yields an expectation of a 9-3 record. So for a change, Toronto has started exceeding expectations, a change made highly probable by their earlier misfortune in this area.

The A's have already run up the white flag for the year, so I may well find myself rooting for Toronto in this upcoming series.

Good luck to the Jays and their fans.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:01 PM

131 posts, read 102,044 times
Wonder if the Jays will win the AL East...the problem with all the teams in the AL is consistency. All teams have a good week where they to like 5-2 or 6-1 but then next week they just tank and go like 1-6 or 2-5. Maybe the surging Jays will pass the Yanks but if the Yanks offense picks up again...

Old 08-11-2015, 08:30 AM

It's fun to be a Jays fan these days- that's for sure. It seems certain they'll be a factor in September and that hasn't happened in a long time.

I was somewhat concerned about the locker room atmosphere with so many personnel changes in such a short time but there's nothing like winning to build good chemistry.

This Oakland series has the added factor of Brett Lawrie's return, as well as Danny Valencia's. You can bet your patoot both want to inflict damage on their old team.

Old 08-11-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

This Oakland series has the added factor of Brett Lawrie's return, as well as Danny Valencia's. You can bet your patoot both want to inflict damage on their old team.
I suspect Lawrie will be thinking more about how he could have been with a contending team this season had Toronto retained him. As an A he has seen the team stumble out of the gate, never get it together, and then give up by trading/selling off its front line talent.

Toronto should go all out to win the first two games of the series because on Thursday they will be facing Sonny Gray who is having a Cy Young style year.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:08 PM

I think this is a tough series for the Jays. In football, basketball, & hockey I call these games "sandwich" games. if you don't know what the "sandwich" game is: it's a game (or in baseball's case a series) against a bad team in between a game against 2 very good teams. This upcoming series against the Yankees will probably be the biggest series @ Skydome/Rogers Centre since the 1993 World Series, the Jays can't overlook the A's who as I mentioned above just won 3 out of 4 against the AL West leading Astros. Sure, they may have already raised the white flag but that doesn't mean there going to come into Toronto and lay down for the Jays.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
I think this is a tough series for the Jays. In football, basketball, & hockey I call these games "sandwich" games. if you don't know what the "sandwich" game is: it's a game (or in baseball's case a series) against a bad team in between a game against 2 very good teams. This upcoming series against the Yankees will probably be the biggest series @ Skydome/Rogers Centre since the 1993 World Series, the Jays can't overlook the A's who as I mentioned above just won 3 out of 4 against the AL West leading Astros. Sure, they may have already raised the white flag but that doesn't mean there going to come into Toronto and lay down for the Jays.
An added factor is that by random chance they are due to lose some. They have been on an 11-1 roll and of course no team plays .917 ball for very long, do that all season and you go 148-14.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or