Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2015, 03:29 PM

9,758 posts, read 7,470,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Yeah, a split would work for me. A sweep for either team could be psychologically devastating for the other.

Yesterday's tilt was rained out. They'll play two Saturday.
Also, what I forgot to add earlier:

I think the Jays could weather the sweep: they'd only be 2.5 back, heading onto Atlanta to play the worst team in baseball, then after that head home for 9 for their least home stand of the season including the last 3 games with the Yankees. Yankees meanwhile hit the road for 9 to Tampa, Mets & the Blue Jays. Unless the Jays do get swept I still think they are the favorites for the division.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 11:38 PM

Default 80-60

Jays 11 @ Yankees 5.

Martin homered twice, Jays scored 5 runs before the Yankees even batted, knocked Servino out after 2 1/3. Got the 1 win they needed, now the worst they can leave is a half game back, win any of the next 3 and they leave at least 1 and a half up, and put themselves in the drivers seat. Only concerning thing is that Price only went 5 innings. He did throw 96 pitches, but I would've tried to coax another inning out of him. Almost a disaster too he left when they were up 9-2, it was 9-5 after a Gregorius homer in the 6th, but the Jays got 2 runs back later on in the game to hang on.

Saturday is the double header: Game 1 has Marco Estrada for the Jays vs. Michael Pineda for the Yankees. That game starts at 1:05; game 2 will start at 4:35 OR 25 minutes after the first game ends whichever comes first. That pitching matchup has Marcus Stroman making his season debut for the Jays against Ivan Nova for the Bronx bombers.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:54 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Default 82-60

1st: Jays 9 @ Yankees 5 (11)
2nd: Jays 10 @ Yankees 7

Jays took both ends of the doubleheader bringing their record at Yankee Stadium this year to an incredible 8-1 and their lead in the AL East to 4 1/2 games.

In the three games of this series, they've hit 10 home runs, including 5 in yesterday's opener. But it was the wildness of reliever Chasen Shreve that broke open a tight game. He walked in three 11th inning runs to hand the Jays game 1.

It was costly though. Troy Tulowitzki and Kevin Pillar collided while going for a pop-up and Tulo cracked his left shoulder blade -- an injury I'd never heard of. Jays don't know how long he'll be out.

Marcus Stroman won his first start of the year in the 2nd game. He went five when the game was interrupted by rain. Gibby decided to keep him out once play resumed.

It was a long, tough day. Both bullpens have been taxed. Today's starters, R. A. Dickey and Mashahiro Tanaka will be trying to go deep and spare the pen.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:27 AM

Default 82-61

Jays 0 @ Yankees 5

Mashahiro Tanaka prevented a totally lost weekend for the Yanks as he handcuffed the Jays on four hits and prevented a sweep of the four games.

Jays leave NY with a 3 1/2 game lead which all a fan could realistically hope for and a game more than expected.

After an off day today, the Jays will be in Atlanta for three without Tulowitski and likely Encarnacion. Tulo is out at least a couple of weeks with that cracked shoulder and EE aggravated a finger issue. Since it's a NL park, he likely will sit for all three unless he pinch hits somewhere along the way.

The Jays acquired IF Darwin Barney from the LA Dodgers to add a bit of depth til Tulo is fit again. Ryan Goins will likely be the everyday SS for now while Cliff Pennington will probably get most of the work at 2nd.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:59 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Default 2015 Season: Game #143 (2015-09-15, 19:10) - Blue Jays at Braves

Toronto Blue Jays:
Record: 82-61
Standing: First, American League East Dvision

Atlanta Braves:
Record: 56-88
Standing: Fourth, National League East Division (27.0 games behind New York Mets)

Starting pitchers:
Blue Jays: Mark Buehrle (14-7, 3.72 earned run average, 80 strikeouts)
Braves: Julio Teheran (10-7, 4.38 earned run average, 147 strikeouts)

The Blue Jays have played better ball in recent years, and are having a good season. It is great to see them doing well.

The Braves have struggled in run production and relief pitching. If the Blue Jays can capitalize on the Braves' weaknesses, they can get some wins in hope of gaining ground against the Yankees if they lose.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:35 PM

Pretty bad loss being unable to capitalize on Atlanta's weak bullpen and not putting the game away when they had the chance in the 7th, 8th & 9th to do that. Yankees lost anyways, so no game lost, and 1 day wiped off the calendar.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:57 AM

Default 2015 Season: Game #144 (2015-09-16, 19:10) - Blue Jays at Braves

Twenty-one starts and counting, does Shelby Miller's winless streak continue? He has a 3.51 earned run average in that streak.

Toronto Blue Jays:
Record: 82-62
Standing: First, American League East Dvision

Atlanta Braves:
Record: 57-88
Standing: Fourth, National League East Division (26.0 games behind New York Mets)

Starting pitchers:
Blue Jays: David Price (15-5, 2.46 earned run average, 203 strikeouts)
Braves: Shelby Miller (5-14, 2.86 earned run average, 156 strikeouts)

Old 09-16-2015, 07:59 AM

Default 82-62

Jays 2 @ Braves 3

Kinda smelled this one coming. Jays seemed listless and Braves played well.

Don't have good vibes about tonight's game either. Shelby Miller is too darn good to have such a miserable record.

At least Buehrle felt good after last night's start, so hopefully he'll be close to his usual self down the stretch.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Jays 2 @ Braves 3

Kinda smelled this one coming. Jays seemed listless and Braves played well.

Don't have good vibes about tonight's game either. Shelby Miller is too darn good to have such a miserable record.

At least Buehrle felt good after last night's start, so hopefully he'll be close to his usual self down the stretch.
Most of Miller's decided losses are from the Braves' lack of run production. Miller has pitched consistently well with the Cardinals and Braves.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:39 PM

This weekend being a Jays & Nats fan stinks. Jays are trying to hold off the Yankees, who play @ the Mets who are currently out in front of the Nats. It may not mean much to Troutdude, but to me, Thursday is the biggest Jays game of the year.

So I root for the Yankees this weekend and they win 2 of 3: sure the Nats can gain a couple of games on the Mets (currently 7.5 back), but chances are it won't really matter that munch, and the Yankees stay within striking distance of the Jays, and since they still play the beginning of the week another 4-2 for the Yankees puts them right there. Plus, the Red Sox are playing a lot better now, so there's that chance the Sox can win the series as well which will really be bad!

So I root for the Mets this weekend and they win 2 of 3: I'm basically officially waving the white flag on the Nats season, however if the Jays can't take advantage then that'll be a double whammy: Nats lose ground, and the Jays can't even gain games. I know the Jays (barring a complete unforeseen collapse) are going to be in the playoffs regardless but I'd much rather have them win the division.

So a half game probably doesn't mean much in the long run, but I'll be much more confident in them going 3.5 up (with a win) then only 2.5 up (with a loss). With a win I'd probably root for the Yankees to win 2 of 3 because at least the Jays bought some wriggle room. With a loss I'd probably root for the Mets to sweep. I'd rather have 1 team make a deep October run then have 2 teams flame out early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball