U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2015, 10:02 AM

368 posts, read 301,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I'm not concerned about that so much. If the Jays make it to the Big Dance, they'll have to beat KC anyway to get there - if someone else hasn't already done so. That would make the Jays the home side in the WS anyway.

Admittedly, if they hook up with KC on the way, they'd have to win at least one in their yard.

I agree we'll see most of the regs in this final series but I have a hunch Gibby will sit Jose, Josh and Edwin for at least one of the games. (Not the same one.)
Gibbons will probably rotate guys in-and-out of the lineup. For example, he might sit Donaldson one day but ensure that Bautista and Encarnacion remain in the lineup and so on...

If the Jays get a big lead in games too, he might take guys out earlier than usual too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 10:15 AM

41,049 posts, read 18,589,435 times
My congratulations to the Blue Jays organization and their fans on winning the division. I would rate them the best club in baseball this season in that they have breezed to the best record in the AL despite underachieving by eleven wins. Their plus 227 runs projects to 103 wins and had they experienced good rather than poor fortune in their run distribution, they might have won five or six more games above that 103 figure.

That said, I cannot rate them as post season favorites because the post season involves too few games for the true quality differences between clubs to emerge. Any of them can get lucky, as did the Giants and Royals in '14.

With the Bay Area clubs not in the running, I have decided to make the Jays my rooting interest for this post season. Good luck.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:43 PM

25,854 posts, read 13,436,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
My congratulations to the Blue Jays organization and their fans on winning the division. I would rate them the best club in baseball this season in that they have breezed to the best record in the AL despite underachieving by eleven wins. Their plus 227 runs projects to 103 wins and had they experienced good rather than poor fortune in their run distribution, they might have won five or six more games above that 103 figure.

That said, I cannot rate them as post season favorites because the post season involves too few games for the true quality differences between clubs to emerge. Any of them can get lucky, as did the Giants and Royals in '14.

With the Bay Area clubs not in the running, I have decided to make the Jays my rooting interest for this post season. Good luck.
We're a huge, under-populated country and without the Expos to split loyalties, there's plenty of room on the Blue Jay Express. Hop aboard.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:13 AM

Default 93-67

Jays 8 @ Rays 4

Jays rallied to upend the Rays as Troy Tulowitzki had two hits in his return to the field after a 3-week absence.

Also of note: Mark Buehrle went 6 2/3s, leaving him two innings shy of his 15th consecutive year of 200+ innings. Look for him to start again Sunday.

And Edwin Encarnacion's 38th dinger makes the Jays only the 4th team in MLB history to have three players with 37+ home runs in the same season. (And least according to the broadcast crew.)

The Royals won as well, so they're still tied with the Jays for the overall AL lead. If they end the season tied, Toronto gets the nod because of a better record head-to-head.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:05 AM

Default 93-68

Jays 3 @ Rays 4

Rays scored 2 in the 9th, off young closer Roberto Osuna, to walk off the Jays. Osuna has looked shaky in most of his last half-dozen appearances. I have a feeling AA and Gibby are having some serious discussions about his role.

KC won their game, meaning Toronto will need to win today while KC loses, if they hope to finish atop the AL.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:41 PM

6,547 posts, read 4,497,941 times
I was hoping the Jays would finish 2nd, and even better the Rangers won the West.

The Rangers have a bunch of left-handed pitchers (and Hamels probably wouldn't even pitch until game 2 since he started today) and we all know this season the Jays have absolutely destroyed left-handed pitching. The Astros had Kuechel & Kazmir from the left side while the Yankees really only have Sabathia who they probably wouldn't even use anyways since they purposely skipped him against Toronto in the regular season. So, the Jays get a beatable opponent in Toronto PLUS I think the Astros/Yankees winner beats the Royals anyways, so that'll leave with Jays with homefield advantage in the ALCS regardless.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
I was hoping the Jays would finish 2nd, and even better the Rangers won the West.

The Rangers have a bunch of left-handed pitchers (and Hamels probably wouldn't even pitch until game 2 since he started today) and we all know this season the Jays have absolutely destroyed left-handed pitching. The Astros had Kuechel & Kazmir from the left side while the Yankees really only have Sabathia who they probably wouldn't even use anyways since they purposely skipped him against Toronto in the regular season. So, the Jays get a beatable opponent in Toronto PLUS I think the Astros/Yankees winner beats the Royals anyways, so that'll leave with Jays with homefield advantage in the ALCS regardless.
Sounds like a plan.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:04 AM

Default 93-69 End Regular Season

Jays 3 @ Rays 12

The game was a blow-out from the 1st. The only really down aspect was that Mark Buehrle failed to get through 2 innings and thus just missed his 15th consecutive 200-inning season. Beuhrle also found out he was left off the Jays' 25-man playoff roster but he took it like the pro he is, saying "they made the right decision."

So, it'll be a Toronto/Texas ALDS beginning Thursday. The regular season was 4-2 in the Jays' favour but everybody knows that means squat now. Both teams can bash so we're likely to see some crooked numbers.

Should be fun.

Old 10-05-2015, 05:50 PM

41,049 posts, read 18,589,435 times
If we were to assume that the Blue Jays prevailed in the division and league champion series, which of the NL contenders would you least like to face, and most like to face?

I think the worst opponent for Blue Jay fans would be Chicago because the US national sentiment would be for the long deprived Cubs. The tv announcers probably won't be able to help themselves, they will make it sound like it is George Washington vs Benedict Arnold.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:08 AM

I honestly haven't begun to consider who might be a preferred NL opponent. I agree facing the Cubs would be tough. (Even I'd have a bit of a hard time rooting against them.)

The Cardinals have been one of my favourite teams since I was a kid. I admired Stan the Man. I wouldn't mind seeing the Bluebirds take on the Redbirds.

But I'm taking it one series at a time. Texas won't be easy meat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or