U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2015, 02:09 PM

40,821 posts, read 18,549,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Texas won't be easy meat.
The Rangers are the worst team among the ten post season qualifiers. In the same manner that the Jays underachieved by ten games, the Rangers overachieved by five games, their run differential would have them winning 83 games.

By all rights Toronto should blow em out of the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 02:57 PM

25,753 posts, read 13,395,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
The Rangers are the worst team among the ten post season qualifiers. In the same manner that the Jays underachieved by ten games, the Rangers overachieved by five games, their run differential would have them winning 83 games.

By all rights Toronto should blow em out of the water.
I hope you're right. But baseball's a funny game....

If Texas is smart, they'll start Yovanni Gallardo in Game 1. He's shut out the Jays twice this season, scattering six hits over 14 innings. They've looked lost against him. Then they get Hamels in Game 2, whom the Jays haven't faced and who's 7-0 in his final 10 starts.

I'm sure not going to take the Rangers lightly.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:38 PM

10 posts, read 5,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I hope you're right. But baseball's a funny game....

If Texas is smart, they'll start Yovanni Gallardo in Game 1. He's shut out the Jays twice this season, scattering six hits over 14 innings. They've looked lost against him. Then they get Hamels in Game 2, whom the Jays haven't faced and who's 7-0 in his final 10 starts.

I'm sure not going to take the Rangers lightly.
I guess the Texas Rangers agreed with you on starting Yovanni Gallardo in game 1, TroutDude.

It is fortunate, however, that the Blue Jays have been playing Philadelphia in spring training for years and the hitters like Bautista and Encarnacion who've been on the team for a while have faced Hamels quite a bit through the years.

Any playoff team that takes another team lightly will never win a championship, in my humble opinion.

Go Blue Jays!

JT.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:24 PM

If the Jays can beat Gallardo I'll feel a whole lot better about taking the series.

Old 10-08-2015, 05:21 PM

6,534 posts, read 4,486,193 times
Default 0-1

Rangers 5 @ Jays 3.

Gallardo continued his masterpiece against the Jays once again: 2 runs, 4 hits in 5 innings, but at least they scored a couple runs off of him this time around after getting shut out the previous 2 times. Unfortunately, he likely won't be pitching again this series as Hamels will be pitching game 5 on normal rest if it gets there, and since Gallardo is a free agent (I think) after this season, if you can't beat em, join em. Or in this case if you can't beat em, sign em! Price meanwhile falls to 0-6 in 6 career playoff starts. IF this series gets to a game 5 and IF Stroman really shuts them down in game 2, the game 5 starter could be debatable, but have to get there first, and getting there first means somehow winning game 2.
Rangers scored 2 in the 3rd, Jays got 1 back in the 4th, Rangers got 2 back in the 5th on a 2 run homer by Robinson Chirnos, jays got single runs in the 5th & 6th to get it back to within 1, while Rougned Odur added the insurance tally with a line drive missile to RF. After Bautista's home run in the 6th, Keone Kela, Jake Diekman and Sam Dyson retired 12 of the next 13 Jays. Adrian Beltre of the Rangers, Donaldson & Bautista of the Jays all left via injury. Donaldson & Bautista should be fine to play tomorrow, while Beltre would probably have to be in a coma to be left out of the lineup, so I'd expect him to be back in there too.

Pitching matchup for game 2 is Cole Hamels for the Rangers vs. Marcus Stroman for the Jays; game time goes at 12:45.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:43 AM

It was pretty much what I was afeered of.

Their job now is simple, if not easy -- gotta beat Hamels or the Rangers pen this afternoon.

Donaldson and Bautista will both start.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:34 AM

Well, that wasn't how we designed the series....

Those interested, watched it. All I'm going to say is I've watched about 150 games this year and yesterday's home plate umpire, Vic Carapazza, called the worst one of the year. He was what players fear most in a home plate ump - erratic - for both sides. His zone varied from batter to batter and inning to inning. I hope he never gets assigned playoff work again.

And, not for the first time, or the last, the NY review crew got a crucial call wrong, ultimately leading to two Ranger runs.

Okay. Sour grapes out of the system.

Off to Texas to try to return the favour.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:06 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,509,333 times
Here we go. Toronto had 4 extra innings to score 1 run and failed. They had a chance to score 2 runs in the 14th and failed. They had a chance to get the next guy out after the bad call and failed. They had a chance to get the following guy out and limit the damage to 1 run, but they failed. There are a thousand factors leading to their loss, not just one. Texas has outplayed them, and pretty much everyone, plain and simple.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
Here we go. Toronto had 4 extra innings to score 1 run and failed. They had a chance to score 2 runs in the 14th and failed. They had a chance to get the next guy out after the bad call and failed. They had a chance to get the following guy out and limit the damage to 1 run, but they failed. There are a thousand factors leading to their loss, not just one. Texas has outplayed them, and pretty much everyone, plain and simple.
I agree. Texas is worthy of being two up.

But Carapazza called a bush league game.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:55 PM

5,878 posts, read 2,378,409 times
No one seems to be following the Jays...Course they are down 2 games..BUT been watching..They are now ahead 5-1 and just starting 8th Inning...

I did hear..Cecil will Not be participating ( Closer)..Injured his left leg..Wish him well

Jay's are known for their "Come Back" history..So won't give up just yet!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or