U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2016, 08:46 AM

25,945 posts, read 13,481,092 times

Advertisements

Dodgers 6 @ Jays 2

Too much Kershaw, not enough Dickey. This one was pretty predictable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 08:49 AM

Default 16-17

Dodgers 4 @ Jays 2

Toronto's bullpen gave up another one. But the bats remain in a funk for several Jays.

Some current averages:
Bautista - .211
Tulowitzki - .162
Martin - .171
Goins - .146

And even Donaldson's average has dropped 30 points in the past week or so, to .268.

Maybe some west coast air will wake 'em up. Toronto starts a series in San Francisco tonight.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:16 PM

41,240 posts, read 18,629,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

Maybe some west coast air will wake 'em up. Toronto starts a series in San Francisco tonight.
The west coast was enjoying some unusually clear, warm days until this past Saturday when it reverted to the more typical overcast and soupy weather. SF hosted the Rockies for four games and in the two played in warmer conditions, there were 34 total runs scored. The next two games played in soup, saw a total of five runs scored.

Today? So far it has been soup.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:30 PM

It has cleared up...now quite sunny.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:40 AM

Default 17-17

Jays 3 @ Giants 1

Aaron Sanchez went 7 strong, backed by an Encarnacion 2-run shot and the relief corps did its job. Nice win, though the bats are still sleepy.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:07 AM

Congrats on last night's win, Sanchez did a terrific job.

Question....do you folks think that maybe Colorado knew something about Troy Tulowitzki that the Jays didn't know when they traded him last season? He didn't hit much down the stretch after coming over, and now he is sub Mendoza with a .569 OPS so far in 2016. It clearly isn't just leaving Coors, he hit a lot better in road games while he was with Colorado.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Congrats on last night's win, Sanchez did a terrific job.

Question....do you folks think that maybe Colorado knew something about Troy Tulowitzki that the Jays didn't know when they traded him last season? He didn't hit much down the stretch after coming over, and now he is sub Mendoza with a .569 OPS so far in 2016. It clearly isn't just leaving Coors, he hit a lot better in road games while he was with Colorado.
I've heard/read a couple of media types floating that possibility. It could be, I suppose. What I've noticed this season is he's watching a LOT of quite hittable pitches go by for called strikes. He's very often in a quick 2-strike hole and then swings at a borderline pitch, or one outside the zone and makes an out.

It occurred to me the other day to wonder if he could be having an eyesight issue. But I suppose that sort of testing is done annually in Spring Training and any problem would be caught.

Whatever the problem, if it's correctable I hope he happens upon the solution soon. Don't want to start pining for Jose Reyes....

Old 05-10-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I've heard/read a couple of media types floating that possibility. It could be, I suppose. What I've noticed this season is he's watching a LOT of quite hittable pitches go by for called strikes. He's very often in a quick 2-strike hole and then swings at a borderline pitch, or one outside the zone and makes an out.

It occurred to me the other day to wonder if he could be having an eyesight issue. But I suppose that sort of testing is done annually in Spring Training and any problem would be caught.

Whatever the problem, if it's correctable I hope he happens upon the solution soon. Don't want to start pining for Jose Reyes....
Perhaps Tulo is himself concealing some sort of injury or impairment. He has spent a pretty large chunk of his career on the disabled list, maybe he is desperate to avoid it again. I notice that he seems especially helpless against left handed pitching so far this year. In 25 plate appearances his embarrassing slash line is .080/.200 /.080 ...ugh. He used to pound the petunias out of lefties, .351/.443/.597 over the last three seasons as opposed to .293/.362/.493 against right handers during that same period.

Toronto has caught a break in that in the first two games of the series they are facing the back end of the Giants rotation which has been god awful in 2016. Peavy pitched much better than usual last night while losing, tonight it will be Cain who has been hammered in all of his starts. Cain has been especially horrible in the fifth inning for some reason, probably because he has been needing 90-100 pitches to get through five innings. He has pitched into the 6th just twice in his six starts.

Wednesday is a day game and it will be Bumgarner.

Old 05-10-2016, 05:30 PM

Yes, Peavy pitched very well last night. I thought the Jays might fatten up on him a little. I seem to recall them roughing him up with the Red Sox a time or two. And he had a rough start to this year. But he looked good yesterday.

I hope the Jays keep Cain troubled for at least one more start....

Old 05-11-2016, 12:20 AM

6,553 posts, read 4,509,772 times
Luckily they won the series because I don't see them doing much with Bumgarner. An afternoon game on getaway day with a day off scheduled for Thursday when you've won the first 2 I wonder how many regulars (if any) Gibbons sits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or