U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2016, 11:42 PM

6,536 posts, read 4,489,472 times

Advertisements

Lost in all the brawl madness is the bullpen blew another one! What's like 14 losses from that group already?? They have 20 total and I think 14 are curtsey of the relief pitchers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 07:54 AM

25,791 posts, read 13,408,706 times
Default 19-20

Jays 6 @ Rangers 7

The gutless Rangers waited 'til Bautista's last at bat in the last game they were to play this season, to get their "revenge" for last year's bat flip.

And to add to their cowardice, Odor sucker-punches him after a hard, but fair slide.

If they had any balls they would have hit him in his first at-bat 7 games ago.

Time to add a yellow stripe down the back of the Texas unis.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:51 AM

40,892 posts, read 18,562,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Jays 6 @ Rangers 7

The gutless Rangers waited 'til Bautista's last at bat in the last game they were to play this season, to get their "revenge" for last year's bat flip.

And to add to their cowardice, Odor sucker-punches him after a hard, but fair slide.

Yours is understandably a partisan take on the incident. It wasn't gutless, I mean the Jays did get the chance to retaliate, and they did, plunking Prince Fielder.

What was surprising to me is that the Rangers were willing to take care of this personal business in a close game. Risking a free base runner just in the name of club ferocity or whatever you want to call it, was actually rather gutsy.

It is of course all quite ridiculous.... grown men subscribing to some playground code of ethics.

Old 05-16-2016, 05:00 PM

7,208 posts, read 8,379,656 times
Quote:
Jays 6 @ Rangers 7

Not so fast. Bautista's slide was illegal. Which is why the umpires called it a DP despite Odor's throw never reaching 1st base..

Old 05-16-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Not so fast. Bautista's slide was illegal. Which is why the umpires called it a DP despite Odor's throw never reaching 1st base..
It probably isn't productive to try and sort out the morality involved for either side. What we have been seeing has been part of a lengthy pattern of event/retaliation stretching back to the weird moment when Odor scored for the Rangers when the return throw to the mound struck Shin-Soo Choo's bat. Having been victimized by what they saw as outrageous misfortune, the Jays were really pumped when they came back to retake the lead, climaxing in Bautista's show-em-up bat flip.

That bat flip was what got Bautista hit by a pitch, the Rangers retaliating for having been shown up. Bautista's illegal slide was retaliation for his getting hit. The shove and punch was retaliation for the slide. Prince Fielder getting plunked was retaliation for the punch. Everywhere along the line, those involved all felt justified. Honor restored. Ferocity re-established.

It is all very much like some "He started it"..."No! HE started it!" pry em apart kid's dust up. With kids you can just send them to their room to cool off. MLB involves fines and suspensions.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:57 PM

I understand that Bautista broke the new, 2016, Major League Pansyball rule at 2nd base.

People who know the game saw Bautista try to break up a double-play with a slide that would be deemed perfect by Major League BASEball for over 100 years.

People who know the game would also clearly see that Odor tried to low-bridge Bautista with a sidearm throw to 1st.

When he missed hitting him in the face with the ball, Odor sucker-punched him with a right and followed up with a nasty purse-slap with his glove.

Odor is a punk.

I predict a cracked rib in his 2017 future.

Joe Torre has a chance to make this right tomorrow. We'll find out if he's a baseball man or a shill for the new, 2016 MLP.

Gibby should maybe get one game for coming back on the field - which any responsible manager would have done with his club in a donnybrook.

Ditto for Pillar and Donaldson. All three should be docked money which Rogers should put back in each of their Christmas stockings this year.

The Texas bench coach whose name escapes me should also get a game and be docked some dough.

The punk Odor should get a minimum of 5 games and a hefty fine.

And a cracked rib in his future.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:05 AM

6,536 posts, read 4,489,472 times
I absolutely love how the Rangers waited until Bautista's last at bat in the last game of the year they'll play in the season series before they retaliated. Bunch of cowards! Then of course the slide's going to be hard: not only was it because he was pissed but it was a 1 run game so Odor had to have seen that coming. I'd give Odor 10 games but I know that will never happen, so I'll settle for 5. I think Kenny Rogers got 20 games 10 or so years ago when he attacked that reporter (about 4 starts worth) so 5 games for a position player for an unnecessary and completely classless punch to the face should be about the same. And of course a nice 97 MPH fastball to the ribs next season too.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:21 AM

Default 19-21

Rays 13 @ Jays 2

Well, that was ugly early and stayed that way.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:31 PM

7,208 posts, read 8,379,656 times
Quote:
I understand that Bautista broke the new, 2016, Major League Pansyball rule at 2nd base.

People who know the game saw Bautista try to break up a double-play with a slide that would be deemed perfect by Major League BASEball for over 100 years.

People who know the game would also clearly see that Odor tried to low-bridge Bautista with a sidearm throw to 1st.
And by the same token, middle infielders have been taught to drop down with their throws when they see a runner coming in high, such as Bautista did..

It's a throw that has been "deemed perfect by Major League BASEball for over 100 years"..

Old 05-17-2016, 05:11 PM

Quote:

But not any longer. I cannot believe that Bautista was unaware of the rules change and would not have done it if he had been aware. He elected to break a rule and it hurt his team. The illegal slide turned a possible double play into a certain double play. It also has resulted in Bautista being suspended for a game.

It also hurt Bautista in that he got a punch in the face.

And that punch has hurt Odor's team which will be without his services for eight games.

Cheering Bautista's slide because it used to be legal, would be akin to cheering some player in the NFL who lays a spectacular helmet hit on a wide receiver. That gets a player thrown out of the game and possibly suspended for more. His team is penalized on the play. That such hits used to be legal hardly seems a reason to accept so much harm inflicted on the offending player's team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or