U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2016, 01:04 PM

6,534 posts, read 4,486,193 times

Advertisements

Friday:
Tigers 6 @ Jays 0.

Jays got on the board first in the 5th when a run scored when Donaldson hit into a double play, a Pillar double in the 7th and an EE 3 run homer later in the frame staked them to a 5-0 lead, and a Carrera sac fly in the 8th added the final margin. J.A. Happ (12-3) pitched 5.2 scoreless innings allowing 6 hits with 1 walk and 9 strike. Jesse Chavez (7th hold) pitched a scoreless 1.1 inning. Mike Pelfrey (2-8) allowed 1 run on 6 hits with 3 walks and 2 strikeouts in 6 innings.

Saturday:
Tigers 3 @ Jays 2.

Andrew Rommine got hit by the pitch with the bases loaded to get a painful RBI & Tigers lead in the 2nd, while Jarrod Saltalamacchia put them up 2-0 with a single. Jays fought back with a Carrera triple in the 5th & a Travis homer in the 7th, but Victor Martinez won the game with a tiebreaking solo home run in the 8th. Matt Boyd allowed 1 run on 4 hits with 2 walks and 6 strikeouts in 5 innings, while Alex Wilson (7th hold) pitched a 1-2-3 6th inning. Bruce Rondon (3-1, 2nd blown save) allowed 1 run on 1 hit (a home run) with 1 strikeout in the 7th and Justin Wilson (16th hold) allowed 1 hit with a strikeout in the 8th inning. Francisco Rodriguez (24th save) pitched a 1-2-3 9th with 1 strikeout. For the Jays, Aaron Sanchez allowed 2 runs on 5 hits in 5 innings with 2 walks and 4 strikeouts. Jason Grilli (2-1) allowed 1 run on 1 hit (on 1 home run) with 1 strikeout in 1 inning.

Sunday:
Tigers 1 @ Jays 6.

2 run single by Josh Thole in the 2nd put the Jays in front 2-0, 3 run homer by Donaldson in the 4th put the game away for good. A James McCann ground out in the 5th scored Mike Aviles to get the Tigers on the board, while a Saunders single in the 8th finished the scoring. Anibal Sanchez (5-10) allowed 8 hits and 5 runs (1 homer) with 2 walks and 6 strikeouts in 4 innings. R.A. Dickey (7-9) allowed 1 run on 5 hits with 2 walks and 5 strikeouts in 7 innings.

Jays open up the 2nd half by playing 3 of their 5 total road games the month of July. They have 3 in Oakland starting Friday, 2 games in Arizona against the Diamondbacks Tuesday-Wednesday, then will be back in the friendly confines of the Rogers Centre for the final 3 series of July. Daniel Mengden (1-4, 4.54) starts for the A's, while Marcus Stroman (7-4, 4.89) takes the ball for the Jays. Game time at 10:05. Tigers head back to Comerica Park in Detroit where they'll open up a 3 game series against the Royals starting Friday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 01:42 PM

40,823 posts, read 18,549,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Daniel Mengden (1-4, 4.54) starts for the A's, while Marcus Stroman (7-4, 4.89) takes the ball for the Jays.
A classic matchup between weird hair and weird mustache.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:37 PM

Default 51-41

Jays 7 @ A's 8.

Tough loss . Khris Davis single and a Stephen Vogt ground out put the Athletics up 2-0 in the first. Jays got 1 back in the 2nd when a Tulo groundout scored Saunders. Jays took the lead in the 3rd when Carrera scored on a wild pitch and then Saunders got a sac fly, but then Josh Reddrick homered in the bottom half to tie at 3's. Singles by Pillar, Travis & Donaldson, along with a Carrera ground out in the 4th got the Jays 4 runs a 7-3 lead, but the A's held them in check the rest of the game which allowed the offense to fight back. Jake Smolisnki got one back for the A's in the 4th, while Davis (2 run shot) & Vogt had back-to-back home runs to tie the game again at 7's. In the 7th with Reddick on second base he had 3rd base stolen easily with Vogt at the plate but Vogt swung at the pitch and fouled it to the backstop. Vogt hit the next pitch into center field and Pillar threw a rocket to Martin to gun down Reddick at the plate, and that foul the previous pitch looked to be huge, but on replay review it was showed Reddick had just gotten his foot in as the tag from Martin was a little high which gave Reddick the daylight he needed for the run which turned out to be the winner. Daniel Mengden was ineffective for the A's lasting only 3.1 allowing 7 runs (6 earned) on 6 hits with 3 walks and 2 strikeouts. Ryan Dull (3-2) was far from dull as he picked up the win pitching a hitless 1.2 with 2 walks and 1 strikeouts. Ryan Madson (18th save) retired EE, Saunders & Martin 1-2-3 in the 9th on only 8 pitches. Stroman was also highly ineffective lasting 4.2 also allowing 7 runs (6 earned) on 9 hits (3 homers) with 1 walk and 5 strikeouts. Brett Cecil (0-6) pitched 2/3 of an inning allowing 1 run on 2 hits with 1 walk and 2 strikeouts.

Game 2 goes Saturday afternoon. Sonny Gray (3-8, 5.16) takes the ball for the A's and he'll be opposed by R.A. Dickey (7-9, 3.93) who takes the ball for the Jays. Game time goes at 4:05.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:49 PM

Default 51-42

Jays 4 @ A's 5.

Thole 2 run double in the second got the Jays started. In the bottom half Khris Davis homered to get the A's back within 1, and Ryon Healy's first career home run put the A's up 2 at 4-2 where they stayed for good. The final 3 runs were all on solo home runs: EE (in the 3rd) and Smoak (in the 9th) had the Jays final 2 runs and they were sandwiched around another Davis home run in the 6th his second of the game and his 3rd of the series. Sonny Gray (4-8) pitched 6 innings allowing 3 runs on 6 hits (1 homer) with 4 walks and 2 strikeouts. Ryan Dull (7th hold) and John Axford (12th hold) combined to pitch 2 hitless innings with 1 strikeout, while Ryan Madson (19th save) allowed the Smoak homer in the 9th, but otherwise got through the outing unscathed. Dickey (7-10) allowed 5 runs on 5 hits (3 homers) in 6 innings with 3 walks and 4 strikeouts.

Jays look to avoid the sweep on Sunday. J.A. Happ (12-3, 3.36) takes the ball for the Jays while Rich Hill (9-3, 2.25) the subject of swirling trade rumors could potentially be making his last start in an Oakland uniform and or in a home uniform at O.co coliseum. Game time at 4:05.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:34 PM

25,757 posts, read 13,395,224 times
A tip of the tattered old cap (I really WAS one of the fans at Exhibition stadium on that snowy Day One in 1977) to 7express for keeping Jays fans in the loop while I was AWOL. It may be a while before I chime in with regularity and I hope I don't step on his toes when I do.

Losing two of three to Oakland ain't the best way to start post-Break but today's win was big. They had to dig deep. But kudos to a scrappy A's squad who took 2/3 fair and square.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
A tip of the tattered old cap (I really WAS one of the fans at Exhibition stadium on that snowy Day One in 1977) to 7express for keeping Jays fans in the loop while I was AWOL. It may be a while before I chime in with regularity and I hope I don't step on his toes when I do.

Losing two of three to Oakland ain't the best way to start post-Break but today's win was big. They had to dig deep. But kudos to a scrappy A's squad who took 2/3 fair and square.

I am just trying to keep it afloat Trout, don't let me step on your toes when you want to resume!

Old 07-17-2016, 11:21 PM

Default 52-42

Jays 5 @ A's 3.

Nice win for the Jays to salvage the final game, while it was not a good day to be a pitcher for Oakland today. Why you ask?? Well, you'll have to keep reading!

EE singled to left in the first with Donaldson scoring all the way from first when the ball got underneath Khris Davis' glove, and they got 2 more in the 4th on a Tulo 2 run homer. Marcus Semion homered to get 1 back for Oakland in the 6th, while Yonder Alonso tied the game later in the inning with a 2 run double. Donaldson won the game for the Jays with a 2 run double in the 9th. John Axford (3-3) took the loss allowing 2 runs on 3 hits in 2/3 of an inning with 2 walks and 1 strikeout. Now I know you're thinking "what happened to the Oakland starter, because even if it's a bullpen game, you still post the line score for the starter??" That's a keen observation (but even if you haven't noticed pretend you did) and remember I said above it was a bad day to be a pitcher for Oakland?? Well.....their starter Rich Hill left after 5 pitches and didn't even finish his at bat against the first batter due to a blister problem and his replacement, Andrew Triggs left after finishing the first inning as he got drilled on the leg on a comebacker, so the pitcher that threw the most innings (Sean Manaea who relieved Triggs and pitched 5) didn't factor in the decision, so that's why I just posted the losing score of Axford. Happ allowed 3 runs in 5.2 with 5 hits (1 homer) with 1 walk and 5 strikeouts. Jesse Chavez (2nd blown save) pitched a third of an inning but allowed 2 hits including Alonso's double which tied the game so he gets the blown save. Grilli (3-1) pitched a scoreless 8th inning with 2 strikeouts, while Osuna (19th save) pitched a 1-2-3 9th with 1 strikeout to lock down the win.

Jays take Monday off and resume play Tuesday in Arizona with a 2 game interleague series against the Diamondbacks. Zack Godley (2-0, 5.28) starts for the D'Backs while Aaron Sanchez (9-1, 2.97) starts for the first time in the second half. Game time slated for 9:40 PM.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:06 AM

Default 53-42

Jays 5 @ D-backs 1

Aaron Sanchez upped his record to 10-1 and Edwin Encarnacion added to his MLB-leading RBI total with a 3-run shot as the Jays took the first of two from Arizona. 2B Devon Travis had a couple of hits and scored twice. Josh Donaldson added three hits to continue his torrid hitting streak.

Sanchez is up to 125 innings pitched and the guessing is that somewhere around 150-160 is when they'll shunt him to the bullpen. He's never pitched more than 133 in a season and that was 2 years ago. I expect the Jays brain trust debates this daily. Unless he shows signs of fatigue it's going to be difficult to derail such a tremendous season as a starter.

Jays have split the first four of this 5-game trip and will try to end it on a winning note this afternoon as Marcus Stroman takes the hill.

Old 07-20-2016, 10:07 AM

Marcus Stroman (7-4, 5.15) starts for the Jays and Patrick Corbin (4-8, 5.25) starts for the Jays. Game time at 3:40.

Also, the Sanchez innings debate is going to go on forever, it's going to be like Stephen Strasburg in 2012 and even more so as they continue to stick in the playoff race. At least at the end of August 2012 Strasburg started to hit the wall his last 3 starts before getting shut down, so in actuality it wasn't a bad idea.....however the problem came at the deadline when the GM knew he was getting shut down, the owners knew he was getting shut down, the players knew he was getting shut down and the fans knew he was getting shut down, and yet they did nothing to upgrade the rotation, so instead of having a Ryan Dempster start game 3 of the NLDS that year, they had to give that start to Edwin freaking Jackson who totally %$%^ed the pooch! Dempster was on the downside of his career sure but at least he would've kept the Nats in the game and not givin up a 7 spot by the 4th inning like Jackson did.
IMO, and see if you agree with me here Trout, the Jays should give him 1 more start, which will put him up to plus/minus 130 innings, you trade for a starter, and you put Sanchez in the bullpen where he'd pitch about 10 innings a month so that takes him to around 150 by the time the playoffs start, so that should be good enough. With that it kills two birds with 1 stone: Keeps Sanchez's innings in check and helps the bullpen immensely which really has not been good this year. The problem with this is that there aren't very good starters available. Ervin Santana from the Twins could probably be had for next to nothing....the reason is he's still got like $12 million left after this year on his contract. Do you really want to pay that to a mid 30's back of the rotation pitcher?? Rich Hill is pitching great, but he's a walking injury and Billy Beane is probably going to overprice him, do we take that gamble?? Matt Shoemaker from the Angels has been lights out since getting recalled from AAA, so that may be the best bet, but Angels will probably overprice him too. Julio Teheran (Braves) & Anthony DeSclafani (Reds) are both pretty young pitchers pitching well, but neither has pitched in the AL, and aside from Teheran in 2013 when he was the #3 or #4 pitcher on a Braves that lost in 4 games to the Dodgers in the NLDS, neither of them has pitched in a meaningful September or October game and both will come with expensive price tags.

Old 07-20-2016, 12:37 PM

I have a hunch there's a significant percentage of the Jays brain trust that wants to take it start-by-start. To let him keep going until/if those signs of fatigue appear.

But absolutely they're going to try to get a starter. It's not just the concerns about blowing out Sanchez' arm but they have legitimate worries about Estrada's back and whether or not Stroman can find, and retain, some consistency. Right now, as you know, all they have in Buffalo is Hutchison.

One idea that recurs to me, especially if Sanchez does get shunted to the pen, is whether or not they stretch Gavin Floyd out during his rehab. He was being groomed as a starter in the Spring until Sanchez bumped him out of the rotation. If healthy, he could provide some starts. But he's also injury prone.

Always an interesting time of year for contending teams....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or