U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 09:35 PM

6,551 posts, read 4,506,707 times

Advertisements

First half analysis. I'll go position by position like I did with the Royals, but unlike Royals, the Jays have a bunch of super utility players, but I'll squeeze in thoughts where I see fit.

Luke Maile/Danny Jansen. I know the team likes them both for defense, but would it hurt to be a bit better offensively?? Jansen seems to be the better offensive player, and seems to be getting the bulk of the starts now, and had a walkoff last weekend vs. KC.
Justin Smoak. Not hitting as well as he has the last few years, but still a quality bat in the lineup, and still plays good defense.
Cavan Biggio. I said this in the last post, but I actually like him more than Vlad Jr.
Freddy Galvis. Still picks it at short, and starting to pick it up with the bat here this year, at least more so than he did in previous stops Philadelphia & San Diego.
Brandon Drury. Fell off a cliff the end of the first half, and has started to see his playing time reduced. Potentially could be joining Billy McKinney in AAA with the Bisons.
Guerrero Jr. For all the talk, his home run total (8??) is probably a disappointment, but hopefully his home run derby performance can catapult some long balls the final 75 ish games to end 2019. There were questions about this defense, but so far it's been perfectly capable.
Lourdes Guirrel. Got demoted to the Bisons back in April, and since coming back up has been on a tear even playing mostly out of position in the OF.
Teoscar Hernandez/Randal Grichuck. Not sure if they are hurt, or getting phased out, but haven't heard much from them this year, but I believe Grichuck has the team lead or is tied for the team lead in home runs.
Marcus Stroman had that unfortunate hip/pectoral injury his last start of the first half to put a damper on what was an otherwise strong first half showing from 'Stro. Hopefully with the 2 weeks+ off (he last pitched June 29) he can get rid of that for good and it won't be a nagging injury for the second half.
Aaron Sanchez has been an absolute disaster. ERA over 6 on the season, an ERA over 10 in his last 12 starts of the first half. Nowhere to go but UP for Sanchez, but that has basically eliminated any trade chatter regarding him, so hopefully he can respond with an all star worthy second half of the season.
As expected and correctly predicted in the preseason predictions, Clayton Richard and Matt Shoemaker have both been hurt. Shoemaker is out for the year after an ACL injury, and Richard missed almost the first 2 months not making his debut until mid to late May, and wasn't particularly good when he was on the mound sporting an ERA over 6. That's 2 starting pitchers in the rotation with an ERA over 6 heading into the start of the second half.
Ken Giles has been very reliable coming out of the bullpen, and will likely be one of the hottest commodities on the trade market so I don't see him sticking around past July 31.
After moving Joe Biagini from starter to reliever back to starter, they seemed to have finally settled on him pitching out of the bullpen, for a young kid, I think that's going to really help him going forward.

Any other thoughts you want to add Trout since you are probably more in tuned to the team being in the city while I'm here in a New York City suburb trying to follow from afar, so I probably missed some things, though with the Raptors we were probably both out of touch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 10:12 PM

25,906 posts, read 13,469,145 times
Nice wrap, 7.

I'll just add I doubt both Galvis and Sogard will be with the team in a couple of weeks. Both fine players having nice seasons...but room has got to be made for Bo Bichette. So, I think one of them has to go.

Although not a fan of Stroman personally, I think the Jays are flat-out stupid for not extending him.

Old Today, 09:16 AM

25,906 posts, read 13,469,145 times
Looks like I jinxed Biggio. He's had a tough July. But I still really like the kid and think he's in for a fine career. On the plus said, looks like Vladdy Jr. is starting to figure things out.

Trade talk is picking up with SP Stroman, closer Giles, 1B Smoak, SS Galvis and 2B Sogard all in play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or