U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 11:14 PM

41,278 posts, read 18,634,241 times

Advertisements

A's on a roll....sweep of the Angels, eight straight wins. Outscored LA 28 -7 in the three games.

Five of the A's starting regulars have OBA's over .400, two of them are over .500. One is slugging over .900 and two others are slugging over .700

The A's lead all MLB in team OPS and home runs.

A's Magic Number reduced to 153.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 04:08 AM
Status: "Warrior fan no matter the roster" (set 23 hours ago)

12,221 posts, read 10,448,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
A's Magic Number reduced to 153.

I like Melvin's comments toward the Angels after the series, praising them as one of the best teams in baseball and how the A's were fortunate to catch them on a downward trend. He'll keep the kids' heads level all season long.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:47 AM

A's comeback against Detroit, win in extra innings. The Rangers lost, pushing Oakland's division lead to an insurmountable two games and the Magic Number to 151.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:43 PM

67 posts, read 116,557 times
I am an Angels fan but have to admit these A's look like their 2002 counterpart. Scrappy and tough... They will also have the Rangers hang close behind them, much like the role Angels played in the same year.

I see them getting close to their 20 game streak in '02 some time this year.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:18 PM

What is wrong with Jarrod Parker? He has been brutal in all three of his outings so far. In eleven and a third innings he has been whacked for 23 hits. He has walked eight guys while striking out just four. His opponents are hitting .426 against him.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:40 AM
Status: "Warrior fan no matter the roster" (set 23 hours ago)

12,221 posts, read 10,448,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
What is wrong with Jarrod Parker? He has been brutal in all three of his outings so far. In eleven and a third innings he has been whacked for 23 hits. He has walked eight guys while striking out just four. His opponents are hitting .426 against him.
Very disconcerting...I hope he's not hiding an injury (or maybe I do?). Same goes for Anderson.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:50 PM

2,423 posts, read 3,149,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmm_pieee View Post
I am an Angels fan but have to admit these A's look like their 2002 counterpart. Scrappy and tough... They will also have the Rangers hang close behind them, much like the role Angels played in the same year.

I see them getting close to their 20 game streak in '02 some time this year.
I'm an Angels fan, too, and agree that the A's are tough and scrappy. I enjoy their 'blue collar' style of baseball. Very fundamental that gets the job done. The team looks really relaxed while they play and you can tell they're having fun. In regards to the Angels thus far in this young season they have issues with their starting pitching and with a few guys in the bullpen. The bats have been quiet as they have left many runners on base. I'm confident that the team will improve- just not certain how much they'll improve.

-Cheers.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:55 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,799,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
I'm an Angels fan, too, and agree that the A's are tough and scrappy. I enjoy their 'blue collar' style of baseball.
That's 'green collar' baseball to you, bub.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:45 PM

Default Series 3/52: A's Sweep Angels, 6-0 Road Trip Complete

Series 3/52: Oakland (5-2) @ Anaheim (2-4)

Game 1:

RHP Jared Parker (0-1, 7.20 ERA, 1.60 WHIP)
LHP CJ Wilson (0-0, 4.50 ERA, 1.50 WHIP)

The good, the bad, and the ugly really sums up tonight's opener in Anaheim.

The bad: Jarod Parker was miserable tonight. Don't be fooled by him only giving up two runs; he was absolutely miserable. It just so happened that the Angels were also miserable at not being able to hit the ball w/RISP. The Angels, as a team, hit 2-for-14 tonight w/RISP and left 13 men aboard. Josh Hamilton was 0-for-3 w/RISP and left 8 aboard all by himself.

The ugly: I found myself angry for the first time this season. Who drew my ire? Chris Young. I'm okay with Young going 0-for-5 with 2 strikeouts. What I wasn't okay with his futility in right field tonight, most notably dropping a sure-out on a Brendan Harris sacrifice fly to score Mike Trout. Instead, it's E9 with Harris ending up on 2nd base. Harris, of course, ends up scoring on a Josh Hamilton sacrifice fly to center that ties the game.

The really ugly: With two outs in the same inning, Young plays Howie Kendrick rather unnecessarily shallow in right field despite a slow-running Mark Trumbo at first base. Kendrick slams one into right field; it takes both a combination of Young's shallow play along with a ridiculously poor angle at the ball that allows it to reach all the way into the corner accompanied by a long run by Young to retrieve it. The result is that Trumbo scored from first, and Kendrick is safe with a 2-out RBI triple. It won't show up in the box score as an error, but Young absolutely coughed up the lead for Pat Neshek, who should have/could have ended this inning at 4-2 or 4-3 Oakland. Instead, the Angels take their first lead at 5-4.

The good: Scott Sizemore re-injuring his knee after misplaying a ball in the 4th inning. Okay, I'm not being completely serious, but the fact is that Sizemore is still an entirely unknown entity on this ballclub (since he injured the exact same knee before the 2012 season). This much is assured, though: save for Hiro Nakajima, Sizemore is the worst of the potential A's second basemen defensively. Of the group, Eric Sogard is by far the best option defensively with Andy Parrino and Jemile Weeks both equipped with better gloves and reactions at second base. I'm entirely unsure what to expect out of Nakajima if he gets the opportunity to play second, so it's unfair to say either way.

If that's the good, then here's the really good:

- Coco Crisp extends his hitting streak to six games with another solo home run in the second inning to make it 4-0 Oakland. Crisp becomes the first A's lead-off hitter to homer in four consecutive games.

- Chris Resop comes on to relieve Parker in the 4th inning with the bases loaded, 1 out, and Josh Hamilton at the plate dying to make a good impression in front of his new fanbase. In three appearances this season, Resop has only given up 1 infield single in 2.1 innings of work. Hamilton chops one right back to the mound where Resop underhand tosses it to Norris just in time to get a sliding Bourjos for the second out. Resop then gets Trumbo to ground out to third, ending the inning and mess that Parker got him in to. Resop, my new favorite reliever, retires the Angels in the 5th inning, surrendering just in infield hit. 4.0 IP, 0 R, 2 H (0.50 WHIP) on the season.

- After Chris Young seemingly cost the A's the ballgame in the bottom of the 6th inning, the A's find right-handed reliever Kevin Jepsen on the mound with Coco on 1st base and 2-outs in the inning. Crisp moves into scoring position by narrowly stealing second base. Jepsen ends up walking Yoenis Cespedes with Derek Norris on deck. Going back to the season opener when Bob Melvin used Norris as a pinch hitter to face a lefty out of Seattle's pen, he sticks to the platoon and gives John Jaso the at-bat. Result? A 3-run go-ahead bomb that clears the short wall in right field. (Picture me jumping up and down in my living room). Chris Young owes Jaso and Melvin soooo many beers. The A's would continue demoralizing Jepsen and the Angels' fans, effectively ruining their home opener, with a 2-run no-doubter by Brandon Moss (3-for-4, HR, 4 RBIs) two hitters later.

Athletics 9, Angels 5
W: Cook (1-0); L: Jepsen (0-1)

----------------------------------

Game 2:

LHP Tom Milone (1-0, 2.57 ERA, 0.71 WHIP)
RHP Joe Blanton (0-1, 7.20 ERA, 1.60 WHIP)

I was on the road for much of the next five games, so bear with my observations.

- Crisp extends his hitting streak to 7 games with a leadoff single in the 1st, though his home run streak ended at 4. The A's record for most consecutive home runs will remain held by Frank Thomas (2006) with 6.

- Oakland has now won its first 5 road games of the season for the second time in 22 seasons. The last was 2008.

- Brandon Moss is 6-for-8, 2 BB, and 9 RBIs in the series.

- The Angels put runners in scoring position in 8 of their 9 innings at the plate. Much like last night, this wasn't an easy one to sit through. I'm scared to see how good Oakland can be if their starting pitching can settle down.

- It's not like anyone thought his was a prudent signing or anything, but Joe Blanton is really bad. 5 IP and 6 runs on 10 hits and 2 walks.

Athletics 11, Anaheim 5
W: Milone (2-0); Blanton (0-2)

--------------------------------

Game 3:

RHP AJ Griffin (1-0, 3.00 ERA, 1.50 WHIP)
LHP Jason Vargas (0-0, 1.59 ERA, 1.76 WHIP)

- A.J. Griffin was superb tonight, delivering a WHIP under 1 with 8 innings of work, allowing just 5 hits and 1 walk. ERA in 2 starts: 1.93.

- Derek Norris stole a base off of Jason Vargas tonight. Two issues with this: 1. Derek Norris is a slow, fat catcher. 2. Jason Vegas is a left-hander. How does this happen?

- Coco Crisp extends his hitting streak to 8 games with a 5th inning lead-off single.

- Yoenis Cespedes (.211 / .279) has the lowest batting average of any every day starter in the A's lineup, and the second-lowest OBP (Donaldson, .268). He did hit his 3rd home run of the season tonight, though.

- This was the first time Oakland swept the Angels in the first head-to-head series of a season since 2003, and the first time the Athletics swept their first series at the "Big A" since 1996.

- The A's outscored the Angels 28-11 and were retired in order in only three of the 27 innings in the series.

Athletics 8, Angels 1
W: Griffin (2-0), L: Vargas (0-1)

Old 04-17-2013, 12:16 AM

Default Series 4/52: A's Lose First Series of the Young Season

Series 4/52: Detroit (5-4) @ Oakland (8-2)

Game 1:

RHP Max Scherzer (1-0, 7.20 ERA)
RHP Bartolo Colon (1-0, 4.50 ERA)

In virtually identical fashion as in his first start of the season, Colon's only mistake would come on 1-pitch: a 3-run home run. This time, it came off the bat of Prince Fielder in the first inning. As in his 2013 debut, he wouldn't give up anything else (7IP, 8H, 3R, 0BBs, 5Ks).

The story, though, as always, is Oakland's come-from-behind victory to win their MLB-leading 9th game in a row. It's Oakland's best 11-game start in club history since their 9-2 start in 1990 and their 11-0 start in 1981.

The A's would chip away at the lead with a run in the 3rd (Sogard), a run in the 6th (RBI Reddick), and a Coco Crisp RBI single in the 7th that extended his hitting streak to 9 games.

The game-winner that broke the 3-3 tie came in the 12th inning (Oakland's first extra-inning affair of the young season) on an opposite-field solo home run by Josh Donaldson.

The A's, coming off a 6-0 road trip through Houston and Anaheim, accomplished the 14th winning streak of nine games or more in Oakland history. They also have the second-longest winning streak in Oakland history during the month of April.

With 8 hits tonight, it's the first time during the 9-game winning streak that Oakland would fail to have 10 hits or more in a game.

Another perfect outing for Resop, who also picks up the win.

Tigers 3, Athletics 4 - F/12
W: Resop (1-0); L: Villareal (0-2)

------------------------------------

Game 2:

RHP Justin Verlander (1-1, 1.93 ERA)
LHP Brett Anderson (0-1, 1.93 ERA)

The sold-out Coliseum crowd found themselves disappointed pretty early on in this one despite the elite pitching matchup. Brett Anderson turned in his worst performance of the season, giving up 3 home runs and all 7 runs.

Coco Crisp's 9-game hitting streak gets placed on hold as he sits with a strained left groin. Yoenis Cespedes was also placed on the 15-day DL.

The only bright spot in this ballgame was Neshek's 2.1IP of shutout relief work, allowing just 1 walk and dropping his ERA for the season to 5.40.

Tigers 7, Athletics 3
W: Verlander (2-1); Anderson (1-2)

-----------------------------------

Game 3:

RHP Anibel Sanchez (1-0, 1.75 ERA)
RHP Jarrod Parker (0-1, 7.20 ERA)

There isn't much to say when the A's are held to just 3 hits and find themselves down 8-0 by the 4th inning.

The real story here is the ineptitude of one of the bright young pitching stars in the game, Jarrod Parker. He gives up 8 runs today in 3.1 IP and is removed after having thrown just 76 pitches, failing now to get out of the 4th inning in 2 of his 3 starts. He didn't just give up runs today, though, he got absolutely shellacked. In the little bit of the game I was able to stomach, even his outs were loud. Granted, Detroit has a murderer's row of a lineup, but Parker just has no command of his fastball right now and no one is swinging at his out-pitch (change-up) when it's out of the zone.

4/2 vs SEA: 5.0IP, 5H, 3BB, 1K, 4ER
4/9 vs LAA: 3.1IP, 9H, 3BB, 1K, 2ER
4/14 vs DET: 3.1IP, 9H, 2BB, 2K, 8ER

I don't think it's yet time to pull the panic switch (some in Oakland are wondering about sending Parker down to AAA Sacramento and calling up Straily until he figures it out). On the bright side, Parker has faced an improved Seattle lineup when Morse was killing everyone, and the Angels and Tigers, two of the better lineups in all of baseball. Parker's next start will be coming up against light-hitting Tampa and should give us a pretty good indication if Parker is simply off or the start to his season was an aberration. As it stands now, he's 0-2 with a 10.80 ERA and a 2.66 WHIP in just 11.2 innings of work.

Tigers 10, Athletics 1
W: Sanchez (2-0), L: Parker (0-2)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball