U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 12:14 PM

2,759 posts, read 1,958,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Wow I was just going to start a minor league thread right before you posted this one, nice work. So here is the way I understand the minors:

AAA
AA
A
Short season A
Rookie Advanced League
Rookie Ball
Off Season Leagues such as the Arizona Fall League which most are probably familiar with.

The way I am told it is AAA is just for aging players with little to no shot of making the big leagues and for MLB players to get rehab and of they need a spot start they just call up a guy from AAA and that High A and AA is where the real prospects lie because the jump from AA to AAA is basically the same thing. From what I understand when a team signs a college player he gets put into Low A or High A and then after a couple of years makes the jump to AA and usually from there spends a year or two in AAA then off to the majors. AM I right about this? it also seems lately a lot of minor league guys spend most of their time in AA and never see AAA. What's the point of having a AAA squad then? maybe for the Mike Fiers' of the world a 30 yr old starter that finally get's it.

I like to consider myself a smart baseball fan, but I just don't know much about the minors and how it exactly works.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minor_League_Baseball
You got the general idea. Most HS draftees play their first year of pro ball in the rookie league, and most College draftees play their first year in A-short season. Those seasons start around mid-June after school is out. Rarely will you see a guy play more then a year in those leagues. As far as prospects the goal is to eventually get them to AAA, but often it can be hard to find roster spots for them because of the minor league veterans and ML throw backs. That is why you see guys going from AA to the majors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 06:12 PM

895 posts, read 2,555,681 times
On A short season baseball, we are lucky enough to live about 5 minutes from where the Giants-Volcano's play in
Keizer Oregon...It is great fun to watch these young men with big dreams come out and play their hearts out for
fan who love baseball ..On the I-5 corridor between Eugene and Portland there two other teams plus 5 more in the northwest who come here to play..Its just neat..
Our season starts the 16th of June.
So if anyone who has not seen minor league ball in action lives close to a team go and cheer them on..Its a great
way to spend an evening...
that's my 2 cents worth..

Old 04-09-2013, 08:51 AM

13,293 posts, read 12,822,763 times
'Topes lose their first game of the season 7-8 in 10 innings.

Can't put the loss on Scott Van Slyke though.
He continues destroying PCL pitching going 2 - 5 with a double and HR. That brings his season total to .600/.652/1.050 for a 1.702 OPS through 5 games with 2 HR and 11 RsBI.

Shawn Tolleson was the only 'Topes pitcher who didn't give up a run. He faced 9 hitters in 2.2 innings; K'ing 3 of them.

My man Max Ramirez went 2 - 5 for the Storm Chasers with a double and 10th inning HR while DHing.

Isotopes Stadium

Old 04-09-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Dee Gordon (son of Tom Gordon) looked good again. He had 2 hits including a double and made a very good over the shoulder catch in short left-center field.
Video Highlights & Clips - MiLB | Dee Gordon dazzles 'Topes fans with play - Video | MiLB.com Multimedia | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball

Old 04-10-2013, 06:14 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,040,299 times
I highly recommend MiLB.tv. It's gone up again this year, but at $40 for the season it is still a steal. There can be over 20 games on a given day. All AAA games, most AA, and a mix of A and rookie ball. I love that the Boise Hawks are one of the regulars. I just wish they added some Class A Advanced. It would be cool to see Florida State league games every once in a while. You can also listen to any audio broadcast for free. That usually includes every game that day. Watching the Isotopes as I type this.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:28 PM

3,285 posts, read 5,801,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
I highly recommend MiLB.tv. It's gone up again this year, but at $40 for the season it is still a steal. There can be over 20 games on a given day. All AAA games, most AA, and a mix of A and rookie ball. I love that the Boise Hawks are one of the regulars. I just wish they added some Class A Advanced. It would be cool to see Florida State league games every once in a while. You can also listen to any audio broadcast for free. That usually includes every game that day. Watching the Isotopes as I type this.
It's only $20 if you also get MLB.tv, I believe.

MLB.tv is honestly the greatest decision I ever made. Ever. Today I was in a restaurant eating lunch, and set up the Blue Jays - Tigers game on my phone and propped it up against the condiments. It's probably not going to win any of us Boyfriend or Husband of the year, but boy is it great.

Last edited by llowllevellowll; 04-10-2013 at 06:42 PM..

Old 04-10-2013, 06:41 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,040,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
It's only $20 if you also get MLB.tv, I believe.

MLB.tv is honestly the greatest decision I ever made. Ever. Today I was in a restaurant eating lunch, and set up the Blue Jays - Tigers game. It's probably not going to win any of us Boyfriend or Husband of the year, but boy is it great.
Yep, I get it along with MLB for $20. Even MLB is a good deal at $120. That's not much more than cost to take a family of four to ball park for a day. I'm worried that they'll keep jacking MiLB.tv up though. It was only $10 the first year I subscribed. The picture quality and number of teams has improved, but I hope they don't go overboard with the cost.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:57 PM

Double header today in Albuquerque.

'Topes lose both games 6 - 3.

The first game featured Dodgers' #8 starter Stephen Fife and the second game featured Dodgers' #???6???7??? starter Ted Lily on a rehab assignment.

The results for both pitchers look bad but there really weren't a lot of hard hit balls. Bloops and bleeders and dinks and dunks. Two low throws by Dee Gordon that Scott Van Slyke couldn't corral didn't help either.

My man Max Ramirez was 3 - 8 with a home run off of Lily.

Scott Van Slyke continues destroying opposing pitchers. He was 3 for 4 with a double, 2 home runs and 2 walks.

Here's Stephen Fife dealing

And Ted Lily with the Storm Chasers' Wily Taveras in the foreground.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Scott Van Slyke continues destroying opposing pitchers. He was 3 for 4 with a double, 2 home runs and 2 walks.
Video Highlights & Clips - MiLB | Scott Van Slyke hits mammoth home run - Video | MiLB.com Multimedia | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball

Old 04-20-2013, 11:45 PM

Istopes were back at home to take on the Oklahoma City Redhawks after a less than impressive road trip.

Most interesting players on the Redhawks are pitcher Jared Cosart and OFer Robbie Grossman.

Cosart was the Redhawks' starter tonight and he held the 'Topes to a run and 3 hits in 5 innings. He walked 0 and K'd 6. Cosart seemed to be in control and probably could have pitched longer but, remember, the Astros are limiting their minor league starting pitchers to 5 innings per start and 'stacking' another starter on top of them who will pitch 3-4 innings.

Robbie Grossman is one of the Astros' better OF prospects. He doesn't have a lot of power and isn't an excellent defender, but he can get on base - he owns a career .381 minor league OBP. He continued that tonight going 2 for 3 and drawing a walk.

For the 'Topes...umm...Kelvin de la Cruz made his AAA debut. He went 2 innings. Chris Withrow, one of LA's top prospects, pitched an inning and hasn't given up a run this year.

Alex Castellanos just before sending a flyball to the warning track in the 9th inning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or