Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 12:21 PM

13,290 posts, read 15,226,169 times

Advertisements

We should have one of these

Opening Night in Albuquerque last night. Beautiful day for a game

'Topes get the win 10 - 3.

The Cubs' Brett Jackson was impressive. Just 1 for 5 at the plate but he made a very good catch going up the hill in CF.

Dee Gordon of the 'Topes also looked good. Making a couple of tough defensive plays, showing a good eye at the plate and stealing a base.

Today's game, I'm excited to see Isotope's starter Matt Magill who's been rocketing up Dodger prospect lists and was added to the 40-man roster for the season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 03:24 AM

8,275 posts, read 22,985,270 times
Wow I was just going to start a minor league thread right before you posted this one, nice work. So here is the way I understand the minors:

AAA
AA
A
Short season A
Rookie Advanced League
Rookie Ball
Off Season Leagues such as the Arizona Fall League which most are probably familiar with.

The way I am told it is AAA is just for aging players with little to no shot of making the big leagues and for MLB players to get rehab and of they need a spot start they just call up a guy from AAA and that High A and AA is where the real prospects lie because the jump from AA to AAA is basically the same thing. From what I understand when a team signs a college player he gets put into Low A or High A and then after a couple of years makes the jump to AA and usually from there spends a year or two in AAA then off to the majors. AM I right about this? it also seems lately a lot of minor league guys spend most of their time in AA and never see AAA. What's the point of having a AAA squad then? maybe for the Mike Fiers' of the world a 30 yr old starter that finally get's it.

I like to consider myself a smart baseball fan, but I just don't know much about the minors and how it exactly works.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minor_League_Baseball

Old 04-06-2013, 10:41 AM

7,569 posts, read 6,017,004 times
We have Rookie League here in Florida. It is called the Gulf Coast League. The Official Site of Minor League Baseball | MiLB.com Leagues

It will start up around early June and go to mid or late August.
Talking with the coaches and players, it is mostly guys signed just out of high school or college, or recruited overseas and brought in for a quick look. Listening to the coaches and players, there is a LOT of Spanish spoken at these games.
The team must be comprised of rookies, less than one year of service, and there is even an age limit (I think it is 21) also a limit on veterans on the team (I think no more than two)
The games are brutal
They are played on a practice field at 12 Noon in the summer Florida heat. They resemble little league games, in that balls hit out must be retrieved and set back into play. While admission is always free, the spectators are limited to a few family members, scouts and the occasional photographer and curiosity seeker. There is no scoreboard, no announcer, no concessions. No frills baseball, in it's pure form, to determine who wants to play professional ball and who does not.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
The way I am told it is AAA is just for aging players with little to no shot of making the big leagues and for MLB players to get rehab and of they need a spot start they just call up a guy from AAA and that High A and AA is where the real prospects lie because the jump from AA to AAA is basically the same thing. From what I understand when a team signs a college player he gets put into Low A or High A and then after a couple of years makes the jump to AA and usually from there spends a year or two in AAA then off to the majors. AM I right about this? it also seems lately a lot of minor league guys spend most of their time in AA and never see AAA. What's the point of having a AAA squad then? maybe for the Mike Fiers' of the world a 30 yr old starter that finally get's it.

I like to consider myself a smart baseball fan, but I just don't know much about the minors and how it exactly works.
Well, you can rely on what you are told or you can gather your own information and come to your own conclusions.

Let's look at some recent Rookies of the Year and see if they spent time in AAA before playing significant time in the minors
Mike Trout: 20 games in AAA
Bryce Harper: 21 games in AAA
Jeremy Hellickson (starting pitcher): 30 games in AAA
Craig Kimbrel (relief pitcher): 50 games in AAA
Neftali Feliz (starting/relief pitcher): 25 games in AAA
Buster Posey: 82 games in AAA
Andrew Bailey: 1 game in AAA
Chris Coghlan: 25 games in AAA

Out of the last ROY winners all of them spent at least some time in AAA. 4 of them (Hellickson, Kimbrel, Feliz and Posey) spent what I'd consider significant time (half a season or more) in AAA.

I'd generally agree that the best prospects don't spend much time in AAA.

You'll see that AAA rosters typically have a mix of young prospects and older players. Teams generally have some veteran guys around in case of injury to a major league player. They stash these guys in AAA.

Let's look at the Albuquerque Isotopes roster
Catchers:
Jesus Flores - 28 with 300+ games of major league experience
Matt Wallach - 27 his first season above AA: considered a fringe prospect for the Dodgers
Steve Cilladi - 25 his first season above A ball.

Infield:
Scott Van Slyke - 26 has 27 major league games. Recently removed from LA's 40 man roster
Alfredo Amezaga - 35 has 584 major league games.
Rusty Ryal - 30 has 134 major league games
Elian Herrera - 28 has 67 major league games
Brian Barden - 32 has 119 major league games
Dee Gordon - 25 has 143 major league games. Was one of LA's top prospects. His stock fell after a poor year last year.
Osvaldo Martinez - 25 has 34 major league games

Outfield:
Tony Gwynn Jr - 30 has 605 major league games
Matt Angle - 27 has 31 major league games
Alex Castellanos - 26 has 16 major league games. One of the Dodgers; top 20 prospects
Nick Buss - 26 his first season in AAA. A non-prospect for the Dodgers.

I wont run through all of the pitchers, but it's more of the same.
There are a couple of top Dodger prospects in 23 year old Matt Magill and 24 year old Chris Withrow along with guys like 35 year old Peter Moylan (295 major league games) and 33 year old Sean White (105 major league games).

Old 04-06-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Today's game, I'm excited to see Isotope's starter Matt Magill who's been rocketing up Dodger prospect lists and was added to the 40-man roster for the season.
Magill was less than impressive. He lasted just 4 innings and struggled with control. He walked 4 in 4 innings and threw about as many balls as strikes.

'Topes still managed a 10 - 6 win over the Iowa Cubs though. Albuquerque banged out 15 hits including a home run by Alex Castellanos, triple by Rusty Ryal and 6 doubles.

Dee Gordon (son of Tom Gordon) looked good again. He had 2 hits including a double and made a very good over the shoulder catch in short left-center field.

Matt Wallach (son of Tim Wallach) collected his first 2 AAA hits and threw out an opposing base runner trying to steal.

Tony Gwynn Jr (son of Tony Gwynn) had 2 hits including a double

Scott Van Slyke (son of Andy Van Slyke) had 2 hits and 2 walks.

Here's Dodger semi-prospect Steven Ames delivering a pitch

Old 04-06-2013, 02:17 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,057,847 times
I didn't look over all the rosters, but in AAA to start this season, we see the likes of Michael Choice (Oakland), Oscar Tavares (St. Louis), Michael Wacha (St. Louis), Kolten Wong (St. Louis). It's true that often times players make the jump directly from AA to the big leagues, but many future and upcoming stars also do play in AAA, even if in short stints right before they're ready to make the jump.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:26 AM

'Topes win again. They couldn't put up double digits this time winning just 8-3.

Most impressive player of the night was Dodgers reliever Chris Withrow. A former 1st round pick he was unimpressive as as starter and moved to the bullpen last year.

Tonight he K'd 3 of the 7 hitters he faced and his fastball had some serious pop.

A view from centerfield

Old 04-07-2013, 10:01 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,057,847 times
What an interesting-looking minor league ballpark - I like it.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:48 PM

'Topes finish a sweep of the Iowa Cubs 7 - 3.

Nick Buss was the star of this game.

4-4 a double and a home run.

Former University of New Mexico Lobo, pitcher Steve Smith, makes his Isotopes debut and retires the final batter of the game.

Former Dodger closer, who's starting for Albuquerque, Javy Guerra throwing a pitch

Next up: The Omaha Royals

Old 04-08-2013, 09:47 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,691,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
What an interesting-looking minor league ballpark - I like it.
Games can be interesting at this park, as it can get some pretty wicked wind. Nothing like a 40+ mile per hour sustained wind to reek havoc with the ball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball