U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 11:07 AM

9,028 posts, read 16,421,659 times

Advertisements

the Reds had the 2nd best team against teams under .500 this year (cleveland had the best) .... they really feasted on the soft spot of their schedule and struggled when paired up against the playoff teams - not shocking that they didn't get far in the post season, but still a good season for them

I've never been a huge fan of Dusty Baker, but his teams always seem to be there over the grind which probably deserves more credit than I usually want to give him

There are some patches in there and right now it looks like the Reds are stuck on that "very good team" plane .... I don't see them falling off, but it can be very difficult to get that last push over the hump
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 04:39 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,718,699 times
They really need to go out and get a decent bat, not someone like Ryan Ludwick. He had one great year with the Cardinals, while all other years have been average or worse.

They also need to get Phillips out of the #4 spot and bat #2, then have Bruce bat #4. Dusty tried it a few time this year and it worked very well. And don't give me the crap about how to need to have a lefty/righty lineup, it's irrelevant if you're leading by the time the opposing team's bullpen comes into the game. I will say that I think Phillips does well in the #4 spot of a lefty is starting, but that is the only time I would do it.

Though as I am typing this, I'm thinking of the possible scenarios that might happen.

1. Choo leaves, and Hamilton goes to center field. I believe this is the most likely option, as they won't feel like they *need* to re-sign him and spend the big bucks it might take to keep him here.

2. They trade Ryan Ludwick and re-sign Choo and put him in left. Hamilton goes to center. I think this is the most cost effective option assuming they could find someone who would want Ludwick. It's what I would try to do.

3. Choo and Ludwick leave. Hamilton goes to center. Obviously this would entail having to into the free agent market. I don't know who they could get that is nearly as good as Choo for a decent price.

Option #1 is probably the most likely since Jocketty is still living in 2008 in regards to Ludwick. This is also assuming Arroyo doesn't resign, which I don't think he will. Cingrani seems ready and he is much, much cheaper.

Here is my ideal lineup for 2014 vs RHP
1.Hamilton
2.Choo
3.Votto
4.Bruce
5.Phillips
6.Frazier
7.Cozart
8.Mesoraco

For LHP just swap Bruce and Phillips

If Ludwick stays, then put him in the #5 spot and put Phillips in the #2 spot.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:44 AM

AP Source: Dusty Baker out as Reds Manager - ABC News

This is just to appease the fans. This was really the players fault, not his.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:09 PM

7,835 posts, read 19,562,238 times
Toothpicks stock plummets amid Dusty's exit!

Old 10-04-2013, 06:54 PM

32,366 posts, read 59,796,813 times
Bummer. I like Dusty.

I think I'll go entertain myself for a few hours with the reader comments on cincinnati.com.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:29 PM

2,176 posts, read 970,746 times
terrible decision to start cuetto. anyone see him laughing joking around in the dugout after that terrible performance

Old 10-05-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
terrible decision to start cuetto. anyone see him laughing joking around in the dugout after that terrible performance

I still don't think Cueto "gets it" yet. I'd say the same for Chapman until that Cardinal series when they won three of four.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:41 AM

Looks like Bryan Price will be the next manager.

Reds said to tab pitching coach Bryan Price as next manager | reds.com: News

Old 09-27-2014, 09:39 PM

47,992 posts, read 45,443,916 times
Firing Dusty Baker = Worst mistake ever. Proof? Reds went from being contenders over the past few years to losing 86(possibly 87) games.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:03 PM

5,655 posts, read 5,698,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Firing Dusty Baker = Worst mistake ever. Proof? Reds went from being contenders over the past few years to losing 86(possibly 87) games.
Reds had too many injuries (Votto, Philips, Bailey) and bad years (Bruce) to have seriously contended this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball